New Member, question on ammo selection

This is a discussion on New Member, question on ammo selection within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a Taurus M85SSUL .38 and I'm trying to find a good ammo option for a defensive carry option. Realy trying to figure ...

Thread: New Member, question on ammo selection

New Member, question on ammo selection

I just purchased a Taurus M85SSUL .38 and I'm trying to find a good ammo option for a defensive carry option. Realy trying to figure what the difference between all the "defensive" ammo options is. I went with the .38 in the Ultra Lite as I plan to carry daily once i get my CCW permit. Thanks in advance

Adam

2. Remove Ads

Welcome aboard.

Since you're new I will cut you some slack. This is a search of the Defensive Ammo section for .38.

You should be able to find plenty of discussion of loads for pocket snubbies.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...archid=2101082
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Or I can just give you the short answer and say use gold dot 135 grain short barrel. Its the closest I have found to point of aim for hollowpoint ammo so far.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Distinguished Member
    The old FBI Load is good .38 special 158 grain lead hollow point +P and welcome.

Thank you for the welcome and quick replies. as I've found this site is much like the few other forums I'm a member of friendly members and a limited search function. I'll admit this maybe more from my lack of knowledge then the programing.

as I'm finding out though .38 seems to be in high demand as the only place i found any rounds so far was wal-mart and i got their only box. Just wanted to be sure that i didn't need to be concerned with much more then JHP, or if there was some magic round that is the end all option for my gun.

Background is I have been around guns growing up and am competent in their operation but as far as ammo selection I'll admit to being fairly ignorant.

Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Welcome aboard.

Since you're new I will cut you some slack. This is a search of the Defensive Ammo section for .38.

You should be able to find plenty of discussion of loads for pocket snubbies.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...archid=2101082
    This link doesn't seem to work...

To the OP...

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I keep my .38 loaded with Federal Personal Protection 10 gr Hydrashock ammo. Muzzle velocity 1000FPS muzzle energy 245 ft lbs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Or I can just give you the short answer and say use gold dot 135 grain short barrel. Its the closest I have found to point of aim for hollowpoint ammo so far.
    +1 on the Gold Dot!!

And yes, the search function is your friend.

Welcome to DC.com from Victoria, B.C.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This link doesn't seem to work...

To the OP...

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    Yep, your right, I checked it right after I made the post and it worked properly. I am assuming that the search function resets itself on the server or something after a certain point or it is tied to the machine that did the original search.

My bad.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Welcome from North Florida. As someone above mentioned, I also like the Federal Hydrashock ammo for self defense. I use it in my 9mm as well.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

I like Hornady Critical Defense Loads and Corbon Pow'R Ball Loads. Both will offer maximum expansion without clogging with clothing and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny85 View Post
    Just wanted to be sure that i didn't need to be concerned with much more then JHP, or if there was some magic round that is the end all option for my gun.
    Although I'm no believer in "magic" rounds, there are some specialty rounds even in 38 cal that you may want to look at. MagSafe makes a 38 cal SWAT load that has a massive hollowpoint filled with what looks like #8 shot in an epoxy matrix. I'd hate to get shot with it and they say it has minimal sheetrock penetration potential. My wife's Colt Detective Special is loaded with this and her speed loader has CorBon 115 gr +P+ rounds as a followup.

RCBD and several other manufacturers make frangible rounds in 38 special that have better ballistics than standard HP ammo but use of frangible ammo is a personal choice. Some folks hate it, some love it, some are indifferent to it, etc. In general, frangible ammo has higher kinetic energy because of the light bullet weights and higher velocity over jacketed lead core bullets. I gave a box of RCBD 9mm to a buddy who shot an old junker 57 Chevy in his backyard with it. The bullets went straight through the bodywork (way stonger than today's car bodies BTW) and literally exploded when they hit the wet seat padding. Blew a huge hole in the seats but punched clean holes in the inside and outside sheet metal. In certain situations, this could be a really nice feature, in others.................
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Welcome to the boards, OP!

Do a search for "642" and you will find a lot of info on great .38 rounds.

bonis nocet quisqus malis perpercit

Links