40 or 9, Help Please!!!

This is a discussion on 40 or 9, Help Please!!! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Speaking of barter. Odds are a PD in your area uses the .40, and probably the Glock .40. IF the S really ever did HTF ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 40 or 9, Help Please!!!

Speaking of barter. Odds are a PD in your area uses the .40, and probably the Glock .40. IF the S really ever did HTF in your area consider you might beg or borrow or trade or barter for a magazine or two of ammo. For me in FL it's hurricanes, for you it may be floods, or tornados, or snow, who knows. You could at least try to trade with a sympathetic officer if you had a need to defend your family, and if you were out of ammo, things will surely be bad enough to try.

2. Remove Ads

Well the .40 has more punch but it really is all about shot placement in the end... N .40 is more available at present....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Good call. With only one caliber to stock, you can concentrate on laying in enough of a supply that you have more than enough. Plus, you get more ballistically out of the .40.

The right position to be in is to have enough you can trade ammo for something else you need. Buy it when you see it and put aside a few thousand rounds.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

My .02 (I know you already got something)
    SHTF scenario = good luck finding any ammo any where. Stock up on your own little pile.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    SHTF scenario = good luck finding any ammo any where. Stock up on your own little pile.
    +1

The S has not HTF yet and it is hard to find ammo these days.........

I am working on making my own pile.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Damn. My wife won't even buy me ammo....
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Instead of considering trading the G23 on a G19, another option is a conversion barrel vs. taking a hit on a perfectly good gun. Doesn't really help your decision though, does it?

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    +1. I don't currently find myself in need of 40S&W as of yet, but I'm building my own little pile of .45ACP as we speak. I know it's dirtier, but I've begun casting bullets for the .45 and am coming up with a really nice supply. As far as powder and primers go, I'm setting pretty. I have some brass, but I'm always looking for more of that!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnonry View Post
    I've got a dilemna that I need some help with. First let me qualify the discussion by saying, My wife and I aren't rich and can't afford all the guns we would like to own. Ok I already own a G23 (.40 cal of course). It's my CCW. My wife wants to buy me one of those Hi-Point 995 (9mm) carbines for a birthdy present. (I love her) Well, it immediately became obvious to me that, if I'm going to get a pistol caliber carbine, I should get it in the same caliber as my CCW. Now they make the Hi- Point in .40 cal too. So end of dilemna right? Well maybe. But I began to think.. if/ when the SHTF... how available is .40 cal ammo going to be compared to 9mm. I like the ballistics of the .40 over the 9mm but..... the 9mm has been around alot longer and theoretically there's probably alot more of it "around" and when the going gets tough I tend to think that it would probably be easier to find than .40cal.
    So now the dilemna.....
    Do I let her buy me the .40 cal Hi- Point to match my G23 or do I let her buy me the 9mm Hi- Point and trade my G23 for a G19? Opinions Please!!
    Oh brother, Don't buy a High Point unless you like trouble. I would suggest you wait and buy a pistol or revolver that will last and be reliable.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links