40 or 9, Help Please!!!

This is a discussion on 40 or 9, Help Please!!! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a dilemna that I need some help with. First let me qualify the discussion by saying, My wife and I aren't rich and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 or 9, Help Please!!!

40 or 9, Help Please!!!

I've got a dilemna that I need some help with. First let me qualify the discussion by saying, My wife and I aren't rich and can't afford all the guns we would like to own. Ok I already own a G23 (.40 cal of course). It's my CCW. My wife wants to buy me one of those Hi-Point 995 (9mm) carbines for a birthdy present. (I love her) Well, it immediately became obvious to me that, if I'm going to get a pistol caliber carbine, I should get it in the same caliber as my CCW. Now they make the Hi- Point in .40 cal too. So end of dilemna right? Well maybe. But I began to think.. if/ when the SHTF... how available is .40 cal ammo going to be compared to 9mm. I like the ballistics of the .40 over the 9mm but..... the 9mm has been around alot longer and theoretically there's probably alot more of it "around" and when the going gets tough I tend to think that it would probably be easier to find than .40cal.
    So now the dilemna.....
    Do I let her buy me the .40 cal Hi- Point to match my G23 or do I let her buy me the 9mm Hi- Point and trade my G23 for a G19? Opinions Please!!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    As this recent ammo shortage has shown, .40 is slightly MORE available than 9mm, because more people were counting on 9mm being more available in this kind of situation. Either way, I'd go with whichever the both of you shoot more accurately. There's nothing wrong with 9mm. I shoot .40 because I like it and can make good hits with it. I usually suggest 9mm to people

...secretly I'm trying to keep .40 more available...

jk.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    First, let her buy the 40 cal Hipoint. It's best to have both in one caliber, at least to start. Then stock up on 40 cal ammo. If you're concerned about the possibility of an ammo shortage in a SHTF situation, then down the road consider adding a 9mm handgun. But until then, I would stick with the 40 and make sure that you have plenty of ammunition.

I think a person needs to have a few guns in a variety of calibers due to the possiblity of ammunition being hard to obtain.

Having a 40 does you no good if all you can find is 45ACP. With that said, I would look at owning a 9mm, 40 with a 357 SIG Barrel, 45 ACP and a 38 SPL/357 Mag. That should cover most situations in regards to ammo.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I don't know what to advise you to do. I will say however that I have a 9mm Carbine that takes Glock 19 magazines, and my 9mm is a Glock 19. Make of that what you will.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I think a person needs to have a few guns in a variety of calibers due to the possiblity of ammunition being hard to obtain.

Having a 40 does you no good if all you can find is 45ACP. With that said, I would look at owning a 9mm, 40 with a 357 SIG Barrel, 45 ACP and a 38 SPL/357 Mag. That should cover most situations in regards to ammo.

Biker
    Well said. I agree with this. I would say go with what fits you best. I shoot well with 40 S&W and that is what I mainly buy.
    S&W M&P 340--HK P2000 V2 40SW--HK P2000SK V2 40SW--Beretta 92 INOX Vertec--SIG P220 45ACP

Phil 1:6

I haven't seen a 4095 HP carbine in some time.
    Maybe you can find one, I dunno...

I finally found a 995 about 4 months ago at a show, and there hasn't even been any of those around anywhere since, either.

Just thinking that your decision may be moot if you can't find either one!

- OS

If it were me, the .40 S&W.

If SHTF, just as many advantages to having .40 S&W as 9mm. I believe .40 S&W is most common LE caliber (at very least, very popular with US LE).

What are the odds of a SHTF situation that the difference would matter, and how nice it would be to have interchangable rounds for the rifle & the pistol.

In addition, I hear you on the funds (I'm in the same boat), but for a few $ more, you could get the .40 S&W Kel-Tec Sub 2000. Easier to store, same caliber, you can use your Glock mags (or at very least both the Sub 2000 and G23 can use the G22 mags).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I'd stick with the 40cal if it were me in your situation. Yes, actually 40S&W seems to be more available here locally as well. A 40cal Hi-Point sounds like a sweet deal to me. Hope this helps.

I can walk into my local WW and buy 40cal ammo pretty much whenever I want. I wish I could say the same thing for 45ACP and 9mm (or 223)... these are always out of stock!

In your situation, I'd stay with 40cal. My 0.02

-Plop
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Please compare the Hi-Point's cost versus a Bersa Thunder 9UC. The Bersa is a fine weapon and I have not had any issues at all with it. Bersa's are the best kept secret.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

go with the 40. keep it easy when it come to ammo.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Take what she buys you and go with it. Start buying ammo as you come across it. You'll have plenty before you know it.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Problem solved!

I apologize for the terrible photos. In case you can't make it out, I went with the .40 cal. I really appreciate the input. It helped steer me towards, what was IMHO, the right choice. I can't wait to try 'er out.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

Good choice! I just came from Wal-Mart and they had .40, but I haven't seen any 9 mike mike in months.

Also, .380 can't be found and I read that it is so hard to find becuase it is made on the same equipment as 9mm at the factories.

I too always figured that if you kept guns in the most common calibers you'd always be able to find ammo. Lately I have been rethinking my position on this theory.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I think you made the correct choice, but I'd still be packing in the ammo...buy now while you still can.
    If at worst, it could be used as a form of 'barter'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links