Ammo in Extra Mag - Page 2

Ammo in Extra Mag

This is a discussion on Ammo in Extra Mag within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ron8903, 10-4 that.Spare mags,spare ammo ok to have in the standby mode. I carry a dry box with 50rds. of .45ACP tracer in my swamp ...

View Poll Results: What ammo do you carry in your extra mag?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Same Hollow point as whats cocked and locked.

68 81.93%
  • High quality FMJ ammo

5 6.02%
  • Different brand\grain hollow point ammo

3 3.61%
  • I dont carry an extra mag!

7 8.43%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo in Extra Mag

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    ron8903, 10-4 that.Spare mags,spare ammo ok to have in the standby mode. I carry a dry box with 50rds. of .45ACP tracer in my swamp boat. When I carry my Bushmaster Carbon 15 on a "hunt" I have some M855's with me also. They will penetrate anything that needs penetrating. I also have 20rds of API handy. -------

I carry the same ammo in spare mags that I have in the gun...When traveling I also have a mag of FMJ for the 10mm handy in case I need to punch auto glass or vehicle body. The only ammo mixing I do is with the shotgun, don't really know why but I keep it loaded 2-00, 4-000, 2 slugs and in the side saddle I have 4-000 and 2 slugs.
    Last edited by F350; February 23rd, 2006 at 03:30 PM.

acparmed took the words out of my mouth...230gr Federal Hydrashoks in the gun and spare mag

Same ammo, but I guess as usual I'm odd because I only use FMJ. The only time I've used different is kind of like F350. When I had a sidesaddle on my riot gun, the front two were slugs. These weren't necessarily there for defensive encounters, more for when I needed range on feral critters. Anymore (and since I live in a different place), it's all buckshot.

So who carries only one extra mag?

Seriously, the only time I've alternated was when I lived in a not-so-nice area of Houston. I carried Hirtenberger sub-gun rounds, in a G-19, while driving, with two mags of Corbon spare. The Hirt will beat a pistol to death, with a steady diet, but it will readily punch through cardoors, and into the other side. Avoidance is always the best option, but like the man said, "I don't wanna die fer lack of shootin' back!"

Same!
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

If the first eight rounds of Gold Dot Hollow Point in my pistol don't neutralize the threat I'm facing, I sure hope the seven in my spare mag do the trick. After that it's time to run.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I carry the same ammo in all reloads as what's in the gun. For me it's about consistency, I don't want to throw alternating recoil & gun performance characteristics into what's likely already turned out to be a bad day.

I carry Remington Golden Sabers but also like and have carried Winchester SXT and Federal Hydrashocks (125gr. in .38spl, 230gr. in .45acp).
    Jack

Primary mag in the 10mm has JHP's. the second mag has roundnose jacketed hardball. Thats the only one I keep that way.

Max in the stack for stopping power, any thing less potent in the spare mag is is just plain stupid.
    DOUBLE TAP

I wouldn't say fmj is less potent than JHP, it's just optimized for different applications. While fmj offers more reliable feeding in an auto platform and better pentration, the main reason I don't carry it is the possibility of overpenetration. If the SHTF I doubt we'll be able to set up a perfect shot where we have full control over who and what's beyond the BG. To that end, I choose quality JHP both for the increase in wound channel and for limiting penetration to the primary target (as much as we can HAVE control over such things).
    Jack

I don't worry about overpenetration. The numbers just aren't there to support the fear - we don't have an epidemic of people dying or even being injured in such instances or else the gun grabbers would spend lots of time going into it.

What I worry about is terminal ballistics and stopping what I shoot. Any handgun I own and am willing to carry will feed and function with any factory-spec ammo on earth or it's off the table. Modern guns should have *zero* problem feeding JHP - if they do, there's a problem with the gun.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I suppose I should add that the vote in the poll is impossible.

I don't carry anything, let alone a live weapon, cocked and locked.

I'm not Mr. 1911.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links