+P Self defense loads

+P Self defense loads

This is a discussion on +P Self defense loads within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been doing a lot of study and shooting lately and wanted more input from the collective. I carry 45acp and find that all the defensive ...

Thread: +P Self defense loads

+P Self defense loads

Been doing a lot of study and shooting lately and wanted more input from the collective. I carry 45acp and find that all the defensive loads around seem to be +P. While this seems great I find them hard to make quick accurate followup shots due to the severe recoil. It seems to me a defensive load that mimics the target 230 grain cartridges would be great especially in the compacts that I tend to carry. What is out there and where do I get it? Not much luck where I live. I must be in the bigger is always better portion of the country. Or take me on and explain why that recoils is worth the loss in accuracy I'm open to correction.

I think an excellent standard pressure defense round is Federal HST 230gr, it has excellent penetration and consistent expansion. I dont find recoil any different than the Federal American Eagle 230gr I use for practice. Speer Gold Dot is also another very good round.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I use the 185grn Golden Sabre +P in my officers model. Great expansion, accurate and easy to handle.

When I had my .45s, I used the Remington Golden Sabre 185 grain BJHP (brass jacketed hollow point) +P almost exclusively for a self defense round. I feel that this load is a "can't go wrong" round for short and longer barreled .45 acp guns.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by theheater905 View Post
    I think an excellent standard pressure defense round is Federal HST 230gr, it has excellent penetration and consistent expansion. I dont find recoil any different than the Federal American Eagle 230gr I use for practice. Speer Gold Dot is also another very good round.
    I have only found this load in +P do they make it in regular?

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I have only found this load in +P do they make it in regular?
    P45HST2 is the standard velocity, P45HST1 is the +P version.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    WWB SD 230 gr HP

I prefer the Gold Dot bullet. I have not tried the HST, but it certainly has a strong following.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Administrator
    Remington Golden Saber 185 Grain JHP is quite low in felt recoil.
    If you can find any around these days.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    WWB SD 230 gr HP
    Same here, they shoot almost identical to the WWB 230g FMJ.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Winchester White Box 230gr JHP. Basically the same round as the FMJ target round, just a hollow point bullet. And it's about the cheapest SD round you can find and it's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Upland man View Post
    Been doing a lot of study and shooting lately and wanted more input from the collective. I carry 45acp and find that all the defensive loads around seem to be +P. While this seems great I find them hard to make quick accurate followup shots due to the severe recoil. It seems to me a defensive load that mimics the target 230 grain cartridges would be great especially in the compacts that I tend to carry. What is out there and where do I get it? Not much luck where I live. I must be in the bigger is always better portion of the country. Or take me on and explain why that recoils is worth the loss in accuracy I'm open to correction.
    I have come to the same conclusion as you. I want something that makes the gun behave the same way in SD as in practice. I tried, and still have, a couple of boxes of Federal +P 230gr HST and found them too much for my usual followup shots. I'm keeping them around just to have "in case". I also have a couple of boxes of the the Federal EFMJ which are 200gr +P and a little easier to shoot. I save these for the dead of winter due to the heavy clothing factor at that time of the year.

I now have some Federal 230gr HST standard pressure and that's what I'm using. I've got two more boxes on order from Striecher's that I'm waiting forever for. You're right, it seems that mostly what's offered is the +P type. Which I'm sure is an even more effective round, but you need to use what works best for you. What's good is that we're talking .45ACP and would think any quality round (Gold Dot, Hydra Shok, Golden Saber, etc.) in standard pressure could be carried with confidence.

I have noticed too that the lighter the bullet, the less felt recoil from the +P. For Example, the new CorBon DPX 180gr +P might not be that bad to shoot (haven't actually though) and I'll bet they're pretty darn effective. They're a solid copper bullet so they can be pricey.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I did a little shooting with a Glock 30 today; shot a few Federal HS 230 gr., Winchester 230 gr, Remington 185 +p and regular Remington 185 grain. I noticed less muzzle flip and quicker follow up shots with the regular Remington 185 grain. The Fed. 230 gr. HS chrono @ 807 FPS and the Remington 185 @ 917 FPS. For me, Remington 185 and Glock 30 are a good match.

Administrator
    Well, possibly it's just the fact that I'm not very recoil sensitive but I've not found the .45acp +P to feel any more "PLUS" with regard to felt recoil than .45 non-plus.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links