22 cal. CCI STINGERS-WHY, FOR WHAT?

This is a discussion on 22 cal. CCI STINGERS-WHY, FOR WHAT? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cvhoss Considering that: Federal Champion Target Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 36 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point Box of 525 Muzzle Velocity: 1260 ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 22 cal. CCI STINGERS-WHY, FOR WHAT?

VIP Member

Stingers and felt recoil

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Considering that:
    Federal Champion Target Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 36 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point Box of 525
    Muzzle Velocity: 1260 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 126 ft. lbs.

CCI Stinger Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 32 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point
    Muzzle Velocity: 1640 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 191 ft. lbs.
    the Stinger produces 380 fps more and 65 ft.lbs. more than the Federal, I would find at least your quoted penetration statistics a bit hard to buy unless the Stinger bullet fragments on impact.

Hoss
    FWIW, there is a very noticeable difference in felt recoil when shooting
    .22 LR; 22 LF Min Mags; and 22 LR Stingers, from a P22 with the short barrel.

Were I going by what it feels like, there is no question that there is considerably more muzzle energy from the Stinger. Whether or not that translates to a better SD round is quite another story and I don't have a meaningful answer to that. I do keep my P22 loaded with Stingers in the event that I need it for SD.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Huh? About what? It's not like I'm not shooting in my 'neighborhood'...
    I'd worry if it we're headed toward ME, not where it would go afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigdl86 View Post
    Id use 22lr for sd!
    ABSOLUTELY!

I found with my .22 bolt action as velocity of rounds went up accuracy decreased. The CCI Stingers and the Remington Hyper Velocity rounds had much larger groups (+4") than the Winchester Wildcats (-1") at fifty yards. All that extra energy doesn't do you any good if its not on target.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

Many years ago working with a 4H shooting group, we relied on a lot of generous people for donated ammo for the kids. We shot a lot of Winchester, Federal and CCI ammo in nearly every configuration made. As Jamierah says, the high velocity stuff was always much less accurate in everything from Chipmunks to Anshutz target rifles.
    I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.

I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I own Stingers simply to shoot hedgeapples. They splode real nice.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    50 rounds of stingers in a 10/22 would make a nice close in SD rifle for the wife. Sadly you can't count on .22cal to feed easily.

When it comes to self defense, a hit with a 22LR. round nose between the eyes (forehead) or in the throat, will stop or kill a BG just as good as any other round, regardless of size. As with any caliber, shot placement decides the outcome.

Just got back. Lot's of good input. I'd like to add that I believe that the VELOSITOR (40gr. HP 1400 fps.) would be my first choice for self defense. It's accurate, has adequate penetration, and expands well while retaining the majority of it's original weight. My next question is, between the Stinger and the round nose, (within 50 yrds.) which would you choose? The Stinger for velocity, light penetration and quick fragmentation, or the round nose for it's deep penetration, retaining it's full weight and shape? Further than 50 yrds. my choice would be the round nose, just so there is no question there. This has nothing to do with "personal defense ccw", plan B only. The weapon used is a RIFLE. Thanks.

If that's all I had would use the round nose for the penetration. A 22 caliber slug will do the job with a well placed shot.

There just doesn't seem to be much confidence in the 22cal. The purpose for my Henry (and lots of cheap ammo) is to take care of any business that threatens me or my family from 50 to 100 yards away. That kind of situation will only be a threat IF there is a breakdown of society and BG's are doing what BG's do. I've got plenty of heavy artillery to handle anything up close, however, they will never get close, the 22 WILL make sure of that. Personally, I would choose my Henry 22 ANY TIME, against any cal. handgun from 50 yards or more. The accuracy alone puts the odds in my favor. I don't care if it's a 30-06 or a 22, all I have to do is HIT my target, they'll either drop, or, run the other direction hurting and bleeding. Something to think about.

While in college, me and a bud used to go shoot our 22's down on the Brazos river almost every other day. I had a Ruger 10/22 and loved the Stingers in my 25 round mags. They were plenty accurate at any reasonable range and we even floated 2 liter Pepsi bottles downriver and shot them at crazy distances. So far you'd have the target totally out of your scope but you'd still hear the shot hit that closed plastic bottle at ranges probably up to half a mile.

The best part (showing more of my stupid antics at that age) was filling the beer cans with water and shooting them. A standard hollowpoint would kinda lift the can off the ground. The Stinger would literally blow it up and rocket it 10 feet into the air. Now if I was using a 10/22 for SD, I'd have a 25 round mag with Stingers in it before any other 22 round. But that's just me.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Source? Just wondering, but where did you get this info?? I'd like to see it.

Did you test it yourself, or read this somewhere?

Perhaps there is a reason for this that is not a negative. I believe there is.
    huh?

Oh LOL I gotcha!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    There just doesn't seem to be much confidence in the 22cal.
    I think you'll find that most around here disagree with this statement.

Me included. I regard the .22LR as the greatest, most versatile round ever brought to market.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    I think you'll find that most around here disagree with this statement.

Me included. I regard the .22LR as the greatest, most versatile round ever brought to market.
    I have confidence in the.22LR, always have and always will. When I said that "there just doesn't seem to be much confidence in the .22 cal.", I make that assumption after reading HUNDREDS of threads, magazine articles, you name it. The 22 cal.(LR) is the butt of every joke and open to every kind of ridicule except for shooting rabbits and squirrels in 99% of those articles and threads. If most around here disagree like you say, it sure would be nice to hear something positive and intelligent for a change. Bigger is not always better, and wisecracks IMHO are no more than a substitute for wisdom, even common sense.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links