22 cal. CCI STINGERS-WHY, FOR WHAT?

This is a discussion on 22 cal. CCI STINGERS-WHY, FOR WHAT? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One (more) thing I've learned at Appleseed... brand matters in .22 ammo. I don't see many stingers on the firing line, but based on my ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 22 cal. CCI STINGERS-WHY, FOR WHAT?

One (more) thing I've learned at Appleseed... brand matters in .22 ammo.

I don't see many stingers on the firing line, but based on my experience, I _highly_ recommend CCI Mini-Mags.

They will cycle reliably in virtually any semi, even after 500 rounds in bad weather, and they're consistent... I can tell Federal bulk pack from the sound: Bang, BANG, pop, Bang...
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

2. Remove Ads

With the price of 9mm and larger going up I think the humble .22LR is going to start finding a regular spot on the range.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I've always heard it said that a lighter round that penetrates less, and fragments(explodes completely depositing all of it's energy) producing more wound tracks, is best for defense. Now all I hear is that deeper penetration, even with little expansion, is best. It's he same story with almost all calibers. If what the majority believes to be the best, the Stinger therefor has to be the number one choice for defense with the .22 LR. Will we ever really know?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Will we ever really know?
    No... Give me a straight shooting, reliable, penetrating bullet, and I'll work on my aim.
    Beretta 92FS

In the 1970's Israeli Sky Marshalls used Bereta model 70 in 22 cal.
    I think they shot for the head mostly.
    I remember at least two hijackers were killed.

i have to think the hotter loads with cause more wear on the rifling of the gun. and when we have semi autos and cheap ammo it will add up. i like plinking with the standard 22lr, save the stingers for hunting larger game.

NativH

While in college, me and a bud used to go shoot our 22's down on the Brazos river almost every other day. I had a Ruger 10/22 and loved the Stingers in my 25 round mags. They were plenty accurate at any reasonable range and we even floated 2 liter Pepsi bottles downriver and shot them at crazy distances. So far you'd have the target totally out of your scope but you'd still hear the shot hit that closed plastic bottle at ranges probably up to half a mile.

Now that is some shooting. 2 liter bottles at 880yrds with a 22 + hearing the slugs hit.

The Stingers have let me down before on skull shots. Took off the hair and hide, but no penetration. Had one varmit come alive just as I was loading him. He was just stunned. Talk about a rude surprise!

I used to use stingers when I was a kid, and those things hit like trucks on the varmit populatiion. I have some ive had since 1986 and they still work great; I buy them whenever I can, especially nowadays......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    I think you'll find that most around here disagree with this statement.

Me included. I regard the .22LR as the greatest, most versatile round ever brought to market.
    If I could have only one gun, it would be a .22 LR rifle!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Not so sure I would rely on the .22LR for SD. Shot placement is pretty important against a human skull.

Two weeks ago I took a spent round out of the subcutaneous tissue of someones forehead after a suicide attempt a few years ago. Bullet was mostly intact. I have taken several others out over the years. I have seen several impact the skull and deflect only to travel under the skin.

I have also seen a .22LR penetrate the skull and leave NO clinical side effect.

I'd be prepared for a pretty quick follow up shot. Also, cranked up criminals are notorious for ignoring small caliber injuries.

For what it's worth, I haven't seen anyone survive a well placed .45 ( limbs don't count. Don't count on hitting the abdomen and killing them. Stopping yes. I am currently seeing someone shot point blank with a 30-06. They survived, but altered.
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

VIP Member

Say again doc?

Quote Originally Posted by docdozer View Post
    For what it's worth, I haven't seen anyone survive a well placed .45 ( limbs don't count. Don't count on hitting the abdomen and killing them. Stopping yes. I am currently seeing someone shot point blank with a 30-06. They survived, but altered.
    Just for clarity, is that "altered" or "neutered."

There's been a lot of information and differences of opinion here, all very interesting. All I can now say is this; if the STINGER will penetrate two 3 inch phone books like going through butter, and the exit hole is so massive as to resemble that of a .40 cal., (fired from a 6 in. pistol)that's good enough for me to use for SD! I have a rifle, making it even that much better.

.22 for SD

A man I knew got in a scuffle over a woman (imagine that!)and a .22 was pulled on him at close range. He grabbed the man, trying to get hold of the pistol as it fired. The bullet, fired between them at an upward angle, struck him in the bottom center of his chin. He was knocked out for nearly an hour, and had to have a broken jaw wired together, suck soup thru a straw, and some minor dental adjustments were needed, but the little .22 ended the scirmish.

Re: Stinger

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    After reviewing a lot of info comparing 22 cal. LR. ammo, the high priced Stinger (cci) seems to be the worst performer. The Federal 36 gr. bulk ammo (hollow points-all) penetrates three times deeper and expands more than the Stinger. (50 yrds.) To make a long story short, why would anyone choose the Stinger considering the statistics?

The CCI Stinger is a segmented hollow point and is designed to break into 3 pieces on impact. This equals low penetration......Allthough this may not be what your looking for in a Coyote bullet it works good on super small game like squirrels rabbits and such. If your looking for penetration in a 22 bullet the CCI SGB is a slower 40gr solid which gives better penetration without sacrificing expansion. I shoot stingers in a Ruger 10/22 for squirells and whatnot but i lost a Coyote to Stingers just the other day. I put a Nikon 6-18 Buckmaster on one of my 10/22s just yesterday and sighted it in at 50 yards. When i was done i shot the 4 tacks holding the target up with 4 shots out of a mechanical rest. Stingers are accurate, no comlaints on that. Claude Beauche..........

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links