22 cal. CCI STINGERS-WHY, FOR WHAT? - Page 4

22 cal. CCI STINGERS-WHY, FOR WHAT?

This is a discussion on 22 cal. CCI STINGERS-WHY, FOR WHAT? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an old Remington semi auto that loves Stingers. I have killed many ground hogs and other small game with them....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 22 cal. CCI STINGERS-WHY, FOR WHAT?

I have an old Remington semi auto that loves Stingers. I have killed many ground hogs and other small game with them.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    After reviewing a lot of info comparing 22 cal. LR. ammo, the high priced Stinger (cci) seems to be the worst performer. The Federal 36 gr. bulk ammo (hollow points-all) penetrates three times deeper and expands more than the Stinger. (50 yrds.) To make a long story short, why would anyone choose the Stinger considering the statistics?

The cci stinger ammo performs better in real life situations against jacks and cottontails..... that is my experience. I dont like to go by gel ballistics until I try it myself. I also found that true for the 22 magnum rounds. That is all I hunt with.

The stinger is designed as a Varmint round,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

here are a few real life kills with CCI stinger .22 LR out of my marlin 795

IMG_1488.JPGIMG_1482.JPG

A test of the CCI Stinger with the 32 grain bullet over the chronograph revealed 114 fps extreme spread for a 10-shot average. This is a bit much for my tastes. This large ES corresponded to some crummy bench rest groups when compared to a number of other brands and styles. 100 yard groups were so poor that the ammunition couldn't be considered usable for small game or varmint shooting at distance.

Velocity was great: 1592 fps (1272 fps from revolver). Of course that is at the muzzle. The bullet won't necessarily give higher velocity or better performance at long end of useful .22 Long Rifle range. It sheds velocity faster than a high-velocity 40 grain solid. The Stinger is not a substitute for shot placement on small game.

I never choose it because it is overrated in my view.

Some of the best performers for me:

Eley Tenex 40 grain lead: 1058 fps, ES 14 fps
    Remington Target 40 grain: MV 1186 fps, ES 26 fps
    Federal high-velocity 40 grain copper-plated solid: MV 1240 fps, ES 24 fps
    Remington Target 40 grain: MV 1186 fps, ES 26 fps
    Federal high-velocity 36 grain copper-plated hollow point: 1345 fps, ES 39 fps
    Federal Champion Target 40 grain lead: MV 1157 fps, ES 40 fps

Velocities taken in a 24-inch barrel

Both of the Federal high-velocity loads make great hunting loads. The tightest 5-shot group I ever fired at 100 yards with a .22 rim fire from a bench rest was with the Federal (red box) 40 grain copper plated solid and went into exactly one inch. This was with a Springfield M1922 with original aperture sight and was done on a gusty day.
    pistola likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I just use the CCI because that's what my Sig seems to prefer.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I varmint hunt once to twice a week which equates to about 50-100 times a year... I have found that when I one shot one kill animals and their guts spill out, that kind of testing overrides any ballistic gel and chrono work out there. I will stick with the stingers. I avoid anything federal like the plague.

My Sig Sauer Mosquito hates the CCI Stingers,but loves the minimags.

I have not bought Stingers recently. I purchased 5000 rounds in 1986, that which I am still using from. From any of my rifles, they will group 2" or better at 100yds. (Marlin bolt, BL22, Marlin 39A, Win 62, and Rossi copy). The age does not seem to have bothered them either. They also group very well from my Walther PPKS (3"@25yds), and My 1911 conversion kit will usually do an inch or so at the same distance. Maybe the new ones aren't as good, couldn't tell you. Like others have said, it will make a balky auto cycle, usually very reliably. If I carry my Walther for SD, the first mag is Stingers, If a throatfull has not worked, the next mag has Remington Gold Solids (Don't ask me how many of those I bought in 1986) as I still have a "few" of those left also.

Terry

To make a long story short, why would anyone choose the Stinger considering the statistics?
    My opinion regarding the origninal question: I don't use the Stinger for anything. I bought a few boxes when they first came out, but could never get them to shoot accurately enough in any of my 22's. Admittedly, I've not tried them in MANY years and I don't expect to. My uses for the 22 LR are plinking and squirrel hunting. For plinking, the Stingers are too expensive. For squirrel hunting, they aren't accurate enough (in my guns only when last tested many years ago) and don't kill head/chest shot squirrels any better than 22 LR solids/HP's. For longer range squirrel hunting I've started using a 17 Mach 2.

The Stinger Load was the very first amss marketed Hyper velocity 22. It carved a nice market share for itself and holds brand loyalty even today. Marketing 101.

This brings up an interesting question. I've been wondering which ammo to carry in my Walther P22 for self-defense. There are so many different choices. It appears most of the testing done on .22LR ammo is done with a rifle. I haven't been able to see any tests done with a pistol. I tried some of the different CCI ammo and I noticed some of them show a giant flash of light in front of the gun. I assume this means the powder is still burning after the bullet leaves the barrel. That means I'm not getting as much energy out of that bullet.

So, anyone have any recommendations on best .22LR ammo to use in a pistol if your target was a human being?

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    This brings up an interesting question. I've been wondering which ammo to carry in my Walther P22 for self-defense. There are so many different choices. It appears most of the testing done on .22LR ammo is done with a rifle. I haven't been able to see any tests done with a pistol. I tried some of the different CCI ammo and I noticed some of them show a giant flash of light in front of the gun. I assume this means the powder is still burning after the bullet leaves the barrel. That means I'm not getting as much energy out of that bullet.

So, anyone have any recommendations on best .22LR ammo to use in a pistol if your target was a human being?
    I mean no offense by this, but you should really consider getting a larger caliber. .380 ACP and .38 Special are considered the minimum for self defense these days.

On a side note, your username is Adric...any relation to the Adric of Doctor Who?

I go with the bulk packs just because I'm cheap and so are they as compared to the stingers. The two rabbits in my freezer didn't seem to notice the difference of which .22LR round they were shot with just both are dead.

as far as .22 penetration somewhere on youtube or some site there is a video of a guy shooting a .22 (can't remember which deviation of the .22 but i think it was the .22LR) 200 or 300 yards into a frozen turkey and half the rounds went through the turkey. Think he put some clothes on it as well and did some more shots. Don't remember all the results that well I just remember it was pretty windy in the video.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post

Whenever somebody brings up .22LR for self defense purposes, they usually forget to consider the fact that rimfire primers are notoriously unreliable. The main thing is remembering to sort out the dud rounds first, before you load your carry gun. It would suck to carry a bunch of duds!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links