22 cal. CCI STINGERS-WHY, FOR WHAT?

This is a discussion on 22 cal. CCI STINGERS-WHY, FOR WHAT? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reviewing a lot of info comparing 22 cal. LR. ammo, the high priced Stinger (cci) seems to be the worst performer. The Federal 36 ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 22 cal. CCI STINGERS-WHY, FOR WHAT?

22 cal. CCI STINGERS-WHY, FOR WHAT?

After reviewing a lot of info comparing 22 cal. LR. ammo, the high priced Stinger (cci) seems to be the worst performer. The Federal 36 gr. bulk ammo (hollow points-all) penetrates three times deeper and expands more than the Stinger. (50 yrds.) To make a long story short, why would anyone choose the Stinger considering the statistics?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Brand name probably. And it may work better cycling some semi automatic .22's. Mine's bolt action, so I shoot for performance. Plinking I just use CCI Blazer.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I always used the "mini-mags" and had good luck with them squirrel hunting.
    To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless.
    Lysander Spooner (1808 1887)

Although all ammo has gone up, .22 is still pretty cheap 'plunking'...

There's not much I'd shoot with a .22 where I'd worry about penetration...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    After reviewing a lot of info comparing 22 cal. LR. ammo, the high priced Stinger (cci) seems to be the worst performer. The Federal 36 gr. bulk ammo (hollow points-all) penetrates three times deeper and expands more than the Stinger. (50 yrds.) To make a long story short, why would anyone choose the Stinger considering the statistics?

Did you test it yourself, or read this somewhere?

Perhaps there is a reason for this that is not a negative. I believe there is.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

The Stinger has a longer case and a light bullet. More powder in the case plus a lighter bullet means more energy. Energy, if I remember my physics, is the ability to do work like expand, move and damage tissue, and penetrate skin and such. If you are firing it from a rifle it's bad, from a pistol much worse. Placement is more important than ever. If I had to use a .22 for SD, and it has it's uses, I'd load either the Stinger or the similar (but different) Quick Shok Segmented HP. Only because they have the most power of the common .22s.

Id use 22lr for sd!
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Considering that:
    Federal Champion Target Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 36 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point Box of 525
    Muzzle Velocity: 1260 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 126 ft. lbs.

CCI Stinger Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 32 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point
    Muzzle Velocity: 1640 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 191 ft. lbs.
    the Stinger produces 380 fps more and 65 ft.lbs. more than the Federal, I would find at least your quoted penetration statistics a bit hard to buy unless the Stinger bullet fragments on impact.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Source? Just wondering, but where did you get this info?? I'd like to see it.

Did you test it yourself, or read this somewhere?

Perhaps there is a reason for this that is not a negative. I believe there is.
    Yes, I tested them myself, after I found this source of information. My results were the same.

.22 Ammunition Trials

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Although all ammo has gone up, .22 is still pretty cheap 'plunking'...

There's not much I'd shoot with a .22 where I'd worry about penetration...OMO
    When a 22 40gr. round nose will penetrate TWO 3 in. phone books and keep right on going, I'd worry.

They do a better job of cycling my semi's once things start getting dirty.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

When a 22 40gr. round nose will penetrate TWO 3 in. phone books and keep right on going, I'd worry.
    Indeed!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Huh? About what? It's not like I'm not shooting in my 'neighborhood'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator

WARNING, some graphic content here.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Considering that:
    Federal Champion Target Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 36 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point Box of 525
    Muzzle Velocity: 1260 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 126 ft. lbs.

CCI Stinger Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 32 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point
    Muzzle Velocity: 1640 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 191 ft. lbs.
    the Stinger produces 380 fps more and 65 ft.lbs. more than the Federal, I would find at least your quoted penetration statistics a bit hard to buy unless the Stinger bullet fragments on impact.

Hoss
    I think this is the crux of the issue. The high velocity light rounds, like most varmit loads, will most likely (as the test bore out) fragment on impact and have less penetration. However they expend all of their energy on target almost immediately, which is why a stinger pulverizes a rabbit's head whereas a cheaper solid or slower hp passes through without really blowing the head apart. Usually with a stinger or expediter the entry side will be like mush and they eye will be popped out of the other side of it's head and hanging way out there from the pressure. This tells me that the stinger has deposited all of it's energy in the animal's head where I wanted it to go. I'm sure that is what it is intended to do. With a regular round, the eye may or may not be bulged out a bit. Does it matter, no. Both are dead.

For a survival round you would definately want one that holds together, mushrooms and penetrates, becuase you may have to shoot something bigger like a deer or hog. Also, IMO a true .22 "survival" rifle should be a bolt action. Preferably tube fed. It won't jam and you can't lose the mag. (though with many models you can lose the tube rod)But then again. I'm old fashined about these things.

Very interesting tests and good post.
    Last edited by sgtD; April 4th, 2009 at 07:56 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links