Milsurp ammo for SHTF a problem?

This is a discussion on Milsurp ammo for SHTF a problem? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking to myself, that if the commies used ammo with corrusive primers(mild or not) in their Mosins, SKS, AK47s etc, in the heat ...

Thread: Milsurp ammo for SHTF a problem?

Milsurp ammo for SHTF a problem?

I am thinking to myself, that if the commies used ammo with corrusive primers(mild or not) in their Mosins, SKS, AK47s etc, in the heat of battle through out histories most notorious conflicts... would it not be a good idea to get the cheaper milsurp ammo for use in a SHTF rifle?

The only thing I am worried about is how does one keep it from rusting if there was a shortage of water to wash out the corrosive salts... how was it done out in actual field conditions in conflicts around the world such as in Vietnam, Afganistan and Iraq?
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

2. Remove Ads

You're talking about AK's and SKS's.... if the bolt rusts shut, put the butt of the rifle on the ground, put your heel on the charging handle and apply pressure until it breaks free. Now oil and load. Problem over.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    You're talking about AK's and SKS's.... if the bolt rusts shut, put the butt of the rifle on the ground, put your heel on the charging handle and apply pressure until it breaks free. Now oil and load. Problem over.
    I love it!

The only thing I am worried about is how does one keep it from rusting if there was a shortage of water to wash out the corrosive salts...
    As a last resort "Urine"

The sad part is, they are right. Its difficult to kill an AK47, why do you think its on a flag and loved by guerrilla fighters everywhere? Zero maintenance or training required for use.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    The sad part is, they are right. Its difficult to kill an AK47, why do you think its on a flag and loved by guerrilla fighters everywhere? Zero maintenance or training required for use.
    Nothing sad about it. The AK-47 is what it is, the best high capacity, low maintenance, light caliber weapon in the world. Only thing I want more in a worse case senairio would be a good 308 bolt action with good optics and a couple hundred rounds of ammo (I can obtain anything needed with that set up).
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    If you have that little water for that to be a concern, I would advise you to drink the water instead of worring about cleaning your gun. I think it would increase your suvival chances.

If the world really went to Hell in a handbasket I would want 3 firearms.
    A Glock in 9mm because ammo would be more common
    A 12 Gauge Shotgun with a slug and shot barrel.
    A AK-47 for long range work its not the most accurate but it will get the job done.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Not to be crass, but my understanding is that peeing in them is common in a real pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    If the world really went to Hell in a handbasket I would want 3 firearms.
    A Glock in 9mm because ammo would be more common
    A 12 Gauge Shotgun with a slug and shot barrel.
    A AK-47 for long range work its not the most accurate but it will get the job done.
    What about a .22LR rifle? Especially a scoped one? perfect for hunting and GOBS of ammo and can be deadly silent... and I have read that rimfires have been used in urban warfare for close range sniper work and taking out dogs etc... the russian and Israeli military have used converted sporting rimfires for such uses.

Israeli Ruger 10/22 Suppressed Sniper Rifle

Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

What about pure Propanol ?

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Not to be crass, but my understanding is that peeing in them is common in a real pinch.
    Damn, so they did this with other weapons during WW2 like in the battle of Stalingrad? I saw in a history channel doc that the germans did this, but the red army soldiers would use some sort of solvent to make sure the bolt does not freeze.

I was thinking, could you not use propanol or something similar?

If you find yourself in a situation like that, then clean drinking water would be your top priority, who cares if your firearm rusts in a week if you die of thirst tommorow? (the guy who gets it from your dead body, thats who).

Not all Milsurp is corrosive, but I know people use windex for corrosive stuff sometimes.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links