Very expensive ammo! - Page 2

Very expensive ammo!

This is a discussion on Very expensive ammo! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've just been buying ammo here and there. If I can only find JHP, I'll grab that. I shot some of my Hornady XTPs and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very expensive ammo!

I've just been buying ammo here and there. If I can only find JHP, I'll grab that. I shot some of my Hornady XTPs and needed some more, but could only find Speer Gold Dots, so I grabbed that. I'm not going ammo nuts though. I'm only buying 50-200rds at a time here and there. I'll probably pick up a bit more of the Gold Dots since they have better specs than the Hornadys and then I'll go with target ammo when I can find some more(357 SIG).

Don't feel bad, I ordered a new pistol, and realized there was no ammo around for it. Finally found some online, paid $1.25 a round for .32acp to keep my new Seecamp from being a paperwieght.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by deviceman View Post
    Fortunately my local WM receives ammo on a regular basis. The calibers I mainly shoot:

Fed 550ct. plated .22LR $13.47
    Rem 550ct. plated .22LR $13.88
    Rem UMC 100ct. .380 $32.97
    WWB 100ct 9mm $15.98
    BB 50ct. 9mm $8.97
    WWB 100ct. .45 $29.97
    BB 50ct. .45 $14.97
    Holy crap thats cheap.. $42ish here for that
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
    I went to Gander Mountain Saturday and the only 9mm ammo was regular old Remington JHP and some Russian Golden Bear. The clerk told me the Remington was nearly $50 for a box of 50 rounds! Maybe they've always been that high and I just didn't notice???

I did pick up a box of the Golden Bear FMJ for just a little over $20 for 50 rounds which isn't all that bad, but I seem to remember the Russian ammo being cheaper than that too not all that long ago.

On the good side, I went to Richard's Sporting Goods and they had a shelf full of 9mm ammo. Federal American Eagle, in both 115 grain FMJ and 124 grain FMJ for $14.99 for a 50 round box. I picked up a box of each and they shoot really well out of my Taurus. I still haven't found any .380 ammo since January though.

Was Remington and Russian ammo always so expensive? It's been tough finding the time and ammo to get 200 rounds through my Taurus Millennium Pro to break it in but it's almost there.
    I only shoot paper most of the time. I still buy at Wally World. the price for Winchester 100 rd. value pack FMJ is $19.50. CCI Blaser Brass FMJ is about $11.50/50.

It goes quick though. They get about ten boxes in every other day. You never know if it will be available or not.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deviceman View Post
    Fortunately my local WM receives ammo on a regular basis. The calibers I mainly shoot:

Fed 550ct. plated .22LR $13.47
    Rem 550ct. plated .22LR $13.88
    Rem UMC 100ct. .380 $32.97
    WWB 100ct 9mm $15.98
    BB 50ct. 9mm $8.97
    WWB 100ct. .45 $29.97
    BB 50ct. .45 $14.97
    WW department manager friend told me that they have a revolving ordering system and real-time inventory control that submits a resupply request as soon as an item is purchased. Delivery comes daily from their distribution centers. Department managers are also free to request additional inventory to meet demand. The little blue dot flags (sometimes red dot) that appear on the front of the shelf are WHSE OUT flags that indicate that orders are in the queue but there is not any product on hand at the warehouse level. Just an FYI.

price gouging,,price gouging,,,price gouging. i have seen a lot of this lately.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Why the hell is the demand high?

They are not going to ban guns for gosh sakes.

Obama and holder are losing their popularity faster than the clap.
    LOL
    I think alot of new people to guns are buying both guns and ammo for them since the election. At least for me that was the deciding factor, so CHP and new G27, and of coarse ammo, alot of ammo. And I respect WW for NOT price gouging, because they can if they want. Just goes to show ammo company's aren't raising prices much, its the mark-up!
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

You can say what you will about Wally-World, but in the last several months they have not raised the price of ammo by even a PENNY on their (spotty) stock of .45acp, .40S/W, .357 Mag, 9mm, .380acp or .22LR.

Gander Mountain, like most retailers and online suppliers is engaging in opportunistic price gouging. I am big on free markets and capitalism, but these merchant thieves are giving us a glimpse of what they will do when the Sh## really does hit the fan.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Unfortunately supply and demand has driven the cost of ammo and guns through the roof. This combined with the current administration that may regulate our rights have caused a hysteria or panic buying which in turn dries up the supply and raises the cost. Sometimes people are their own worst enemy in situations like this. But it's hard to blame anyone for not trying to prepare themselves for the future of disastrous political agendas of some politicians.

G.M. is price gouging in a big way.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Appears Gander is gouging big time

My local Gander Mountian had Federal American Eagle 45ACP 230gr. FMJ at $34.95 for 50 rounds. I went over to Fleet Farm, across the street, and exact same ammo was $19.99 for 50 rounds!!!!!

Same with handguns, Gander here is way way higher than other places. When a pistol is $649 at Gander and same pistol is $529 at a different store there is some serious gouging going on I would think.

That is ok, I have had enough of their price gouging and attitude. My business goes somewhere other than Gander.

Wheaties $3.99 a box for a few ounces of baked wheat mush?
    $2.50-$3.00 for a cup of coffee at a *bucks?
    $100+ for a pair of sneakers from China that cost $4 including shipping?

It is what the market will bear.

bosco

Today I found several boxes of .45, and 9mm plus bricks of Fed Match .22 (only has 325 rounds per brick at a price of about $14.50.)
    I did not buy anything as I am pretty good shape for ammo. I was surprised to find it on the shelf at about 1300.

I sometimes am amused at the almost hate some demonstrate toward WalMart. But I bet even those try to get some ammo from them.

Regards,
    Jerry

All the WMs in my area have been out of everything with the exception of one that had 2 boxes of .40 the other day. I'm traveling for work and have been stopping off at WM when I pass one and they've all been dry on handgun ammo and some almost out of everything else. Even .22LR has been a problem.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Sheesh even in Canada a box of 50 Remington JHP 9mm is $23 plus tax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links