For those of you who stockpile ammo.. - Page 2

For those of you who stockpile ammo..

This is a discussion on For those of you who stockpile ammo.. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Excluding .22, shotgun & rifle-- it's 10% SD ammo to 90% FMJ ammo....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who stockpile ammo..

Excluding .22, shotgun & rifle-- it's 10% SD ammo to 90% FMJ ammo.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Understanding that I have been collecting combat arms and related weaponry
    for over 30 yrs now. Rough count over 50.000 rounds of assorted ammo, But I can always use more when available.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

750 American Eagle 124gr FMJ 9mm
    50 Barnual 124 FMJ 9mm
    950 Reloaded 115 FMJ 9mm
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Total of 1750 rounds of 9mm

600 rounds of CCI .22LR Hollow Point

Mine is all used for target shooting, im looking at reloading 1200 empties, JHP seems to be cheaper than FMJ projectiles so will be using JHP for those.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I have about 1000 rounds of .45 HST, about 500 rounds of various 9mm JHPs, and about 5K FMJ in .45, around 1000 in 9mm
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member
    Personally, I have not yet begun to rat-hole any. However, I will start with SD rounds and go from there. Dang, at nearly 24-bucks per box including tax, I’m more inclined to get my "last" dream gun out of lay-away.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

.22 - mostly hp

9mm - all fmj

.38 Super - all fmj

.40 cal - 80% fmj, the rest mostly Winchester SXT HP

.45 - 75% fmj 230gr the rest Winchester SXT HP

38/357 60% hollow point, the rest a mix of wadcutters, LRN, and FMJ

7.62x39 - 50%fmj 50%Hp, except for one box of Remington Corelokt SP.

.223 - all fmj except for about 100 or 200 rounds of soft point reloads.

.308, 30-30 - all good bullets of the expanding variety. Corelokt, Hornady interlok, Hornady TSX, Win Powerpoint, Sierra Gameking 165 BTHP & 150 gr BTSP, some Match grade 168gr BTHP.

BY THE WAY, I don't "stockpile", I'm a collector. Some people collect salt and pepper shakers, or refrigerator magnets, I collect guns and ammo.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Why would anyone want to tell the world how much ammo they have. Everyone can read this and nothing is really secure.
    I have enough for the next bad guy and a few of his friends.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

In pistol ammo, my absolutely last ditch stash is mostly FMJ. I would need it for practice, and would need relatively few JHPs for self defense. When the s*** meets the fan, I will be using a rifle or shotgun.

In rifle ammo, all of my hunting rifles have good softpoint ammo: good for staying fed or to reach way out and touch someone. For my main SHTF rifle, I have a nice assortment of FMJ and hollow point.

I need more buckshot, but doesn't everyone? And you can never have too much 22LR.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    Why would anyone want to tell the world how much ammo they have. Everyone can read this and nothing is really secure.
    Oh, you're just being PARANOID No one is reading this but us.

I was always keeping a box or two of each so just to have ready what I need whenever I was ready to go shoot up some targets. My comfort zone right now is about 1500 rounds, 100 or so JHP.

I think now I will let this dwindle down a bit or maybe, I've been thinking about taking a personal defence class that requires 1000 rounds or so. Wouldn't that be cool to go shoot up a thousand, 1200 rounds in a couple of days...

Randy

I dont care how much anyone has stockpiled, the question was more geared to what the split was between range and SD ammunition.. That is all.

The way I see it is, if it came down to it, I would rather have a small amount of SD ammunition than FMJ.. Because even if ammo shortage was upon us (oh wait...) then I would be able to give up range time. But I would hope I had some SD ammunition.
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

This is all in storage:

1000 5.56 55gr FMJ
    1000 5.56 62r FMJ steel core

275 12 gauge Buck 00 2.75"
    25 12 gauge Buck 00 3" magnum
    2550 Various 22lr HP
    100 9mm 115gr FMJ

Want at least 1000 of 9mm and .380 ....if i could find them!

Loaded in magazines/weapons:

55 9mm pow'r'ball and 115gr golden sabers hp
    7 .380 FMJ CCI independence
    60 .223 55gr HP
    5 12 gauge Buck 00 and 2 bird shot

At home:

about 50 9mm 115gr golden sabers hp
    about 43 .380 FMJ CCI independence
    100 .380 102gr silvertip HP
    about 20 12 gauge birdshot

Quote Originally Posted by MBtech87 View Post

The way I see it is, if it came down to it, I would rather have a small amount of SD ammunition than FMJ.. .
    If it came down to what?

If it comes down to me needing it in a concealed carry situation, yeah I want holow points, the best I can get, but to store abunch for other potential threats I don't know. I have been carrying for 15 or 16 years (hollowpoints) and have never had to fire even one. So one box would git 'er done.

When it comes down to something else, like big time trouble, riots etc. Also very unlikely to happen, but always good to be prepared. IMO, if it comes down to me needing it, anything that launches a projectile from the barrel at a relatively high rate of speed is SD ammo. If I am faced with mobs of rioters or roving gangs (1 in a million chance there) I want plenty of ammo and don't care what it is as long as it works.

If you don't think FMJ will stop a bad guy, ask some dead Iraqis. Granted, it is not as effective for that purpose, but our military has been winning wars with FMJ only ammo for a long time. Hit the vitals. Shoot 'em more than once. It'll all get the job done. Millions of people died from gunshot wounds before they ever even came out with expanding hollowpoint bullets, much less the super duper hi-tech stuff the gun rags and manufacturers tell us we absolutly must have to stop a BG. Is it better, yes. Will the old FMJ stuff still do the job if you put it in the right spot, sure it will.

Sorry, but this is a sore subject with me. Not your fault. It's just like all of these people who are convinced that they have to have a "trophy bonded" bullet in a some kind of a Super Duper Short Magnum to kill a deer. Are they better, maybe, but dead is dead.

Ok, rant off. Again, nothing personal, just food for thought.

No I absolutely agree with you.. No offense taken. Just for me, I feel that my 100 rounds of JHP is well over, what I would need. I just dont feel the need to stockpile thousands of rounds of FMJ... Do they work, hell yeah.

Like you said, the situation will likely never arise (riot, SD issue, anarchy, etc) but if it does, I personally would rather have SD rounds. If not, then one 25 ct. box would be plenty. To each their own I guess?
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

Quote Originally Posted by MBtech87 View Post
    No I absolutely agree with you.. No offense taken. Just for me, I feel that my 100 rounds of JHP is well over, what I would need. I just dont feel the need to stockpile thousands of rounds of FMJ... Do they work, hell yeah.

Like you said, the situation will likely never arise (riot, SD issue, anarchy, etc) but if it does, I personally would rather have SD rounds. If not, then one 25 ct. box would be plenty. To each their own I guess?
    10-4.

I agree 100%. I do believe that if we ever end up in a SHTF situation the ammo you already have is about all that you can expect to have.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links