Hmmm, 9mm FMJ...is it really that bad?

This is a discussion on Hmmm, 9mm FMJ...is it really that bad? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I prefer to use the same round to fill a mag. I don't like mixing either. I just finished my Box-O-Truth style 9mm JHP expansion ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hmmm, 9mm FMJ...is it really that bad?

I prefer to use the same round to fill a mag. I don't like mixing either. I just finished my Box-O-Truth style 9mm JHP expansion test. I tested 124 grain Federal Hydrashok and Remington Gold Saber +P 124 grain. Both were fired through my GLOCK 26 that will be my primary ccw.

I draped 1 layer of denim over the 1st Milk jug filled with water and lined up 9 more behind it with a large oak log in the back. The Hydrashoks perform outstandingly. The first shot was dead center and went through 3 jugs and stopped on the 4th. It expanded perfectly (it looks like one they'd use for an advertisement). Other Hydras also expanded well.

The Remingtons weren't to my liking and there for the Federal will be what I carry. Then I finished off a 100rd value pack of 115 Remington FMJs. They certainly did a good deal of damage to some pieces of solid oak. I would be happy carring them, but overpenetration is an issue and reliablity with JHPs is not an problem with my GLOCK. I certainly don't want to get shot by either.

2. Remove Ads

I carry the 124+P GDs and a spare mag of WWB 115s

I just started using the +P, but think I am going to drop them to a normal pressure load because the recoil pulse is so different from my training round that my timing index is off with the less practiced with SD load.

Will likely go to a 147gr standard pressure round for more penetration at a lower recoil.

I feel the 124gr+P is the superior round, but the loss of penetration the 147gr gives up is well justified for the similar recoil pulse that my training ammo has.

A intresting add to this is a BG was brought in to oue ER a few weeks ago. He was stopped by .38sp ball fmj. He had two in the chest. The first one actually stopped him and the second was for good measure. The BG was in the procees of a B&E and was stopped by the homeowner. I practce with a lot of fmj and would use it if it was all i had. one thing i do as a hand loader is duplicate the factory loads that i do carry and train with them on a fairly routine basis. You can buy a 100 hp to load yourself at a fraction of what it cost to train with factory hp.Just my.02

FMJ was/is used to disable instead of kill... In war..........it's best to tie up several personell to tend to one litter.........rather than kill that soldier and walk over the body and onward into battle........
    I wouldn't trust FMJ to do anything else but feed reliably and disable the assailant......That's just my own .02 worth though
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links