ammo storage

This is a discussion on ammo storage within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; im getting ready to buy my first gun and have a two year old an am looking for recamendations for storage of amo i plan ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ammo storage

Question ammo storage

im getting ready to buy my first gun and have a two year old an am looking for recamendations for storage of amo i plan to buy in bulk. my thoughts are to stor it in ammo cans and the get a metal locking cabnit to store the ammo cans in anny sugestions

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That would work fine.....I have 3 smallish kids, and I store my ammo on a book shelf up high, behind small books.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

thank you for the advice

Sounds like a pretty sound set-up to me. You could even tie some wire on the ammo cans to make them more difficult to get into if you want.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Ammo is best stored in a cool dry place. I would store the bulk in ammo cans and just what you need in a locked type handgun safe. If you have a Cabela's or Bass Pro They sell plastic ammo crates that are lockable and have a foam seal that adheres to the bottom of the lid to seal it from moisture. As for Handgun safes I use the Gun Vault brand and load up magazines and put them on one shelf and store the loaded gun on the second shelf. I also have the model that uses touch code to open it which allows pretty fast access to the firearm and ammo. I also rest assured that my youngest and his friends cannot access the weapon and ammo if for some unseen reason I'm not around or someone is not monitoring them every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly510 View Post
    am looking for recamendations for storage of amo i plan to buy in bulk.
    Good luck with that plan.

Right now you might want to plan to buy one box, if you can find one.

When and if you find it, the rest of your plan will work just fine. You could also make the ammo cans lockable by drilling a hole and installing an eye bolt, then use a padlock. something like this but homemade, http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA030-1.html or this http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/0517.html

IF you do this, IMO it's best to get combination locks that can all be set to the same combo.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post

When and if you find it, the rest of your plan will work just fine. You could also make the ammo cans lockable by drilling a hole and installing an eye bolt, then use a padlock. something like this but homemade, ZAA-030 - Ammo Box Lock, Water Resistant, Simple to Install Double O Ring Seals or this Armygear.net -- Ammo Can Lock

IF you do this, IMO it's best to get combination locks that can all be set to the same combo.
    i have fund alot of round in bulk at gunbroker.com but i do ee you point i shold have said stock pile insted of buying in bulk

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post

When and if you find it, the rest of your plan will work just fine. You could also make the ammo cans lockable by drilling a hole and installing an eye bolt, then use a padlock. something like this but homemade, ZAA-030 - Ammo Box Lock, Water Resistant, Simple to Install Double O Ring Seals or this Armygear.net -- Ammo Can Lock

Yep, would be easy to make the same thing with a bolt and a nut. Drill the ammo can where the bolt will fit through the hole on latch. Put the bolt through the ammo can from the inside, put the nut on the outside and tighten it up, and drill through the bolt so that a small lock will fit through the hole. It should cost about 50 cents, and a lock.

One suggestion is to get a set of matching locks so that you don't have to carry an entire key ring to the range with you. One key for all of them.

And if you do find "bulk" ammo, and fill up an entire can, most small kids won't be able to pick up the can, so your safe there.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

thanks eery oe for all the greaat information

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Buy a small safe. Keep everything locked up tight. Kids get into things. My friend was negligent and forgot about an old loaded .22 in the back closet shelf and lost a kid. It was tragic because one of his kids shot the other kid when they discovered the curiosity. Better safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Buy a small safe. Keep everything locked up tight. Kids get into things. My friend was negligent and forgot about an old loaded .22 in the back closet shelf and lost a kid. It was tragic because one of his kids shot the other kid when they discovered the curiosity. Better safe than sorry.
    im sorry to hear thta i have ben aaround guns all my life and on more than one ocasion stumbled upos loaded ones and was allways told to get an adult when i find one. and i plan to teach my sne gun safety and allways keep them locked up tight

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    my mother in law is one of those anti gun people and she is always worried that my daughter will find my carry gun but she is only 2 months old right now its not like she is going to find it . my buddy showed me a good idea on putting it on the fridge during the day and then safe it at night of night stand safe but i have never worried about my ammo its usually laying all over the place from shooting or hunting or reloading
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewsman View Post
    my mother in law is one of those anti gun people and she is always worried that my daughter will find my carry gun but she is only 2 months old right now its not like she is going to find it . my buddy showed me a good idea on putting it on the fridge during the day and then safe it at night of night stand safe but i have never worried about my ammo its usually laying all over the place from shooting or hunting or reloading
    Loose ammo can be deadly if found by a child. I know the odds are slim but I always err on the side of caution. Put it away and you wont have any concerns when all ammo and guns are locked in their safes.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    One suggestion is to get a set of matching locks so that you don't have to carry an entire key ring to the range with you. One key for all of them.
    Yep, that's why I said combo locks. No keys to lose or fall into the wrong hands.

I use the these Brinks*2018 and set the same combo on all locks, so I only have to remember one. Theives could break them with a prybar, but they are good for kid proofing stuff.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

well I figure between the ammo in a locked cabnet and in locked ammo cans by the time the bad guys get to the ammo I would have caught them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links