Ammunition Prices -- Getting Ridiculous - Page 2

Ammunition Prices -- Getting Ridiculous

This is a discussion on Ammunition Prices -- Getting Ridiculous within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by automatic slim From what I hear, components are still reasonable. If you can find 'em....I WAS looking into reloading but the critical ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition Prices -- Getting Ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    From what I hear, components are still reasonable.

If you can find 'em....I WAS looking into reloading but the critical components I can't get......

I just saw Wolf 9mm @ $239 per 1000. That up $50 from where it was three months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Not that I am not also more than a little unhappy with ammo prices right now, but it's hard for me to call it gouging if people are paying these prices and the ammo is still flying off the shelves. Basic supply and demand, unfortunately.
    I'll continue to call this gouging until someone can show me copies of invoices from an ammo manufacturer that show 50%-100% increases to the wholesalers/retailers in the last 5 months. Until then, I call it gouging, profiteering, and a lot of other names for taking advantage of a bad situation. I'm not directing any animosity to you, kazzaerexys, I'm just frustrated and getting angrier by the day.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    .........This might be a time to get into reloading and save the factory stuff. From what I hear, components are still reasonable.
    Components may be reasonable, but they are just about impossible to find, especially primers. If you aren't already into reloading and have a decent supply of components on hand, you're not going to produce much ammo with the components you can't buy.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I'm boycotting ammo myself.

Your local gun shop can either buy overpriced ammo and pass the pain on to you, or buy only ammo that can be sold at a reasonable price, and have nearly nothing on the shelves.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

One thing is for certain; me being a younger guy, I certainly have more respect for the old-timers who I felt were going overboard on saving up for bad days.

Lately I have been doing what my great grandpa told me many years ago. When everything around you seems to be too expensive, it's a good time to go fishing. 75 cents worth of corn, and some simple fishing tackle go a long way in relaxing while things sort out.
    Beretta 92FS

Went to my local Wal-Mart this morning on the off chance they had gotten something in - no luck. I was talking to the sales person who told me that last week they received several cases of 9 mm Blazer Brass and had it actually grabbed out of their hands by employees of a local gun range (who's name I won't mention but it was the one that had a mother shoot her son two weeks ago). The salesman said they frequently come in and buy up what he gets in so they can sell it for inflated prices at the range. Wal-Mart here still sells 9 mm for about $20 per hundred when they get it and have had that price for nearly a year (before that it was about $16). He suggested I check back in mornings frequently as they get trucks in every night but don't know if they have any ammo on them.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    There is one thing for sure, I will remember who is doing the gouging on ammo prices. When or if the dust settles on this madness my business will be else where.
    plus one on this. i have started this about two months ago when i saw ammo and reloading prices going sky high. there are several gun stores that i will not go into again. same way with some internet sites. i been shooting 22lr for the past two months only. and now it is hard to find.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    I am really glad guitar strings havent gone through the roof. LOL
    Wait till we start using them for trip wires! Then they will go up!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Your local gun shop can either buy overpriced ammo and pass the pain on to you, or buy only ammo that can be sold at a reasonable price, and have nearly nothing on the shelves.
    I cannot stress how true this is. I work at a guns and ammo store and I am one of the people who reads the invoice and prices the ammo for the shelves. It is ridiculous what we are paying for the ammo we get. It is also ridiculous what we pay in shipping costs these days. We have gotten to the point where we no longer ask our distributors about cost of ammo. We just say "send it" because if we don't take it, another retailer will.

Despite what most of you think about local shops gouging on ammo costs it mostly isn't true. We make maybe three bucks a box at the most on ammo that flies off the shelf. Most ammo is marked up only a dollar or two. That isn't jack.

Think about the payroll, humongous electricity bills, big phone bills that are all part of running a business.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Academy Sports here in Texas has the UMC 250pk 9mm - $43.99, .40 - $54.99 and .45 - $84.99. Reasonable I would say.
    Here in SW Houston.. I bought (2)250 boxes of UMC, they had it for $89.99.. Not bad.
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

My favorite carry ammo, the DoubleTap 9mm JHP 124gr +P, has doubled in price as compared to 18mos ago. Ten boxes of 50 rds (500) used to cost ~$175 delivered, but that same amount now costs above $350.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by MBtech87 View Post
    Here in SW Houston.. I bought (2)250 boxes of UMC, they had it for $89.99.. Not bad.
    My local Academy had the UMC 250 ct. bulk pack .45 for $95. I politely passed on it since my local WM stocks BB 50ct. .45 for $14.97ea. at least once per week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I cannot stress how true this is. I work at a guns and ammo store and I am one of the people who reads the invoice and prices the ammo for the shelves. It is ridiculous what we are paying for the ammo we get. It is also ridiculous what we pay in shipping costs these days. We have gotten to the point where we no longer ask our distributors about cost of ammo. We just say "send it" because if we don't take it, another retailer will.

Despite what most of you think about local shops gouging on ammo costs it mostly isn't true. We make maybe three bucks a box at the most on ammo that flies off the shelf. Most ammo is marked up only a dollar or two. That isn't jack.

Think about the payroll, humongous electricity bills, big phone bills that are all part of running a business.
    That's what any business would like us to believe. Rest assured my LGS's are making way more than a "couple of bucks" on each box of ammo. WM is the only place that doesn't appear to be profiteering. They started imposing limits due to the fact several LGS's were buying up most of the ammo for resale.

Example: One of the largest LGS's in my town charges $29.95 for WWB 100ct. 9mm. That's a 90% markup over WM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post

But you're talking about a local shop that's buying through a distributor/wholesaler, not directly from the manufacturer. What I'm saying is show me an invoice from a manufacturer (Federal, Winchester, Speer, etc.) that shows a 50% to 100 % increase in the last 5 months and I'll quit calling foul. I just don't believe it's happened on the manufacturing level and it's only taking place down the line. That means somebody is gouging/profiteering. If not, Wal-Mart's prices would be way up also as you can bet they buy direct from manufacturers.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links