Ammunition Prices -- Getting Ridiculous - Page 3

Ammunition Prices -- Getting Ridiculous

This is a discussion on Ammunition Prices -- Getting Ridiculous within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm with you Hoss. I have not been shooting centerfire handguns at all lately. I have been reloading and sticking them away. Been doing some ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm with you Hoss. I have not been shooting centerfire handguns at all lately. I have been reloading and sticking them away. Been doing some rifle shooting and reloadin those, but that may soon be curtailed as well.

Hopefully I don't run out of components. My local resource is out and said he has had small rifle primers on order for over 3 weeks, but none have come in. He said to me jokingly, "If I order you some today, I should be able to get them in by the end of the Obama administration."

The worst I have seen so far is yesterday, I saw a box of Remington 38spl +p 158 gr lswchp for IIRC $32.50 for a 50 rnd box.. I bought the same stuff at Cabelas (always high priced there, but on sale then) a year ago for just over $15.00

It's ridiculous. The set of dies I want is list price at Cabelas and Midway for about $23 bucks. Out of stock since Christmas, selling on ebay for over $50.

I'll just wait it out. I aint paying double if I don't have to, and I've got enough set aside to outlast me if you really get down to it. It's a shame it has come to this though. At first it was an interesting anomoly, but now it has become ridiculously frustrating.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    It's ridiculous. The set of dies I want is list price at Cabelas and Midway for about $23 bucks. Out of stock since Christmas, selling on ebay for over $50.
    Do you squeak when you walk? It's not like you have to replace dies regularly so I really cannot understand how someone can get bent out of shape over a one-time premium until supply catches up with demand.

I'm glad I got back into reloading a couple years ago. I can still afford to practice with my reloads, but I believe in factory ammo for carry. I bought some 230 HST from ATG a few months ago, $24/50, since I always put a few downrange after a session with reloads, to be sure they function ok. I checked ATG's prices again the other day, $39.95/50! They won't be getting any more of my business.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

I've read enough posts on various gun forums by people describing their personal shopping sprees for all calibers to convince me that the single greatest factor is hoarding by shooters. That is not to say that there isn't gouging by LGSs or chains--I've no idea and don't care myself. Gouging, to the extent it occurs, is a by-product, whether moral or immoral, of panic buying, and when you see shooters admitting to "buying sweeps" up to 200 mi radius from where they live and buying tens of thousands of .22 rds, for eg, you know what the core problem is.
    Cartoonist Al Capp of Lil' Abner fame said it best: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."
    I'm with those who are inclined to curb or put aside pistol shooting until the problem clears. And if it takes years, that's OK. I like fishing, vegetable gardening, playing with the grandbabies....

Quote Originally Posted by modelo View Post
    I've read enough posts on various gun forums by people describing their personal shopping sprees for all calibers to convince me that the single greatest factor is hoarding by shooters. That is not to say that there isn't gouging by LGSs or chains--I've no idea and don't care myself. Gouging, to the extent it occurs, is a by-product, whether moral or immoral, of panic buying, and when you see shooters admitting to "buying sweeps" up to 200 mi radius from where they live and buying tens of thousands of .22 rds, for eg, you know what the core problem is.
    Cartoonist Al Capp of Lil' Abner fame said it best: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."
    I'm with those who are inclined to curb or put aside pistol shooting until the problem clears. And if it takes years, that's OK. I like fishing, vegetable gardening, playing with the grandbabies....
    .22LR is to cheap to curb shooting, and there are also airguns that make shooting 1/2 as costly compared to rimfires... the price of rimfire and several centerfire rounds in WM and the largest gunstore in metro atlanta (Adventure outdoors) has not changed much.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I had a salesmen @ a Gun/ammo store say that they have a women in Walmart that calls them when the ammo arrives. They fan out to the different stores buy it all up. They mark it up about 10-12 bucks and sell it off shelves and @ the range. He says they are haveing a hard time feeding the range.

Uggh.

OH..my other post was deleted!! What up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post

Well, this is where I vow to do my part to stop this absurdity. I'm done shooting anything that isn't necessary other than 22lr. No more fun trips to the range, no more breaking in new guns (I already have enough tested firearms to suffice), enough is enough. I already have a prairie dog hunt scheduled in June and have enough factory ammo and/or components for the ammo necessary for that trip, but that's the end of my centerfire recreational shooting until things settle down. My one man protest may go unnoticed, but it has to start somewhere. If this doesn't stop, we aren't going to have to worry about anyone taking away our guns because we won't have any ammunition for them anyway or even if it's available, we won't be able to afford it.

Hoss

I am with you partner! No more shooting anything except .22lr and air guns.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    But you're talking about a local shop that's buying through a distributor/wholesaler, not directly from the manufacturer. What I'm saying is show me an invoice from a manufacturer (Federal, Winchester, Speer, etc.) that shows a 50% to 100 % increase in the last 5 months and I'll quit calling foul. I just don't believe it's happened on the manufacturing level and it's only taking place down the line. That means somebody is gouging/profiteering. If not, Wal-Mart's prices would be way up also as you can bet they buy direct from manufacturers.

Hoss
    Exactly Hoss, we (where I work) buy from distributors such as Bangers Supply in Alabama, Henry's, MT Sports, Big Rock Sports etc.

Wal-Mart buys at huge discounts because of the sheer volume they purchase and, I suspect, they buy straight from the manufacturer.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I'll continue to call this gouging until someone can show me copies of invoices from an ammo manufacturer that show 50%-100% increases to the wholesalers/retailers in the last 5 months. Until then, I call it gouging, profiteering, and a lot of other names for taking advantage of a bad situation. I'm not directing any animosity to you, kazzaerexys, I'm just frustrated and getting angrier by the day.
    No worries, Hoss; point taken.

This doesn't quite address the manufacturing issue, but comes close. I was looking for some .40S&W today. I was at the indoor range and I asked them what they were charging. They said $23/box (of 50). I would have bought it at that, but they aren't selling except for range use.

My shooting buddy suggested a place to go and we ended up at a a shop that guy runs literally out of his little house in the 'burbs. Luckily for me, he had some .40, two different brands in fact. First brand was priced at $15/box. Right next to it was something priced at about $20/box---both standard FMJ.

I asked about this. The cheap stuff had just been there longer. It was priced as was when he first put it on the shelf, which means distributor plus markup. Ditto on the expensive stuff; he just got that more recently.

So, the point of the story is that his $20/box, not too far off the range's $23/box, reflects increase in distributor prices. Furthermore, the shortage in new ammo exists at the distributor level, too.

Last comment is this: when oil was at $4/gallon and Congress was having its kangaroo courts for oil execs, the actual numbers were that oil and gas companies were profiting at something like a 7% rate, which was actually less than the overall profit rate across all industries, which is more like 9--10%. Just because the actual prices are high doesn't mean gouging is going on; supply and demand all by themselves can explain things like this.

Mostly, I think, it's just a Catch-22. Prices are up because shooters are hoarding, but the hoarding is a fairly reasonable reaction to the current situation. Essentially, the hoarding is happening because people are willing to trade money for preparedness. Frankly, I don't think that is such a bad trade-off.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I would just like to have some choice in personal defense ammo. You can't find what you want even when your not picky. Most places might have one type and it is never the type I am looking for. Its all +P. I just want a 230 Grain regular JHP in any brand and hell if I can find some.

Well it really hurts when you like to start shooting the big calibers. I found Hydra-Shock 10mm for 40 dollars per box/20. Then a standard box of CCI 44mag is almost 40 dollars/50.

I am going to stop shooting center fire, I simple cannot afford shooting. Where I live it is a struggle just to find 22LR and that has went up from $.99 a box to $3.00
    Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed. -Winston Churchill-

Quote Originally Posted by deviceman View Post
    Do you squeak when you walk? .
    No, but I am quite frugal and intend to remain so.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    No, but I am quite frugal and intend to remain so.
    Nothing wrong with being frugal, now if we all could get congress to think that way, the country wouldn't be in the mess that it is in right now.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    Nothing wrong with being frugal, now if we all could get congress to think that way, the country wouldn't be in the mess that it is in right now.
    Good point.
    Jp

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    I am really glad guitar strings havent gone through the roof. LOL
    Amen brother... My Taylor 810 would be very lonely.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links