Ammunition Prices -- Getting Ridiculous

This is a discussion on Ammunition Prices -- Getting Ridiculous within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Up to this point, the most outrageous price I've seen is still the CCI Blazer 380 shown in this thread but today I did my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition Prices -- Getting Ridiculous

Up to this point, the most outrageous price I've seen is still the CCI Blazer 380 shown in this thread but today I did my usual thing and checked ATG for availability of ammunition and found that they had some 40 S&W Federal LE Tactical HST 155gr. HP Ammo in stock. On November 5th, 2008, I purchased 500 rounds of 40 S&W Federal LE Tactical HST 165gr. HP Ammo for 219.95 or 21.99 per box of 50. The current price shown on ATG's web site for the same stuff in 155gr. is 44.95 (no 500 round case prices listed). That's a bit more than a 104% increase in about 5 months.

Well, this is where I vow to do my part to stop this absurdity. I'm done shooting anything that isn't necessary other than 22lr. No more fun trips to the range, no more breaking in new guns (I already have enough tested firearms to suffice), enough is enough. I already have a prairie dog hunt scheduled in June and have enough factory ammo and/or components for the ammo necessary for that trip, but that's the end of my centerfire recreational shooting until things settle down. My one man protest may go unnoticed, but it has to start somewhere. If this doesn't stop, we aren't going to have to worry about anyone taking away our guns because we won't have any ammunition for them anyway or even if it's available, we won't be able to afford it.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I havent been out to my backyard range with anything other than a .22 for at least a month or maybe 6 weeks.

Im not going to shoot up whats in store if I cant replace it.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Who would have thought this possible just a couple of years ago? I'm glad that I started buying when people first discussed the possibilities.

I do not see any future 'reprieve' from this problem...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Academy Sports here in Texas has the UMC 250pk 9mm - $43.99, .40 - $54.99 and .45 - $84.99. Reasonable I would say.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Yeah, the HST has gone through the roof. I'm glad I stocked up on it and a bunch of range ammo gradually over the last year or so. Heck, I could sell a small amount of ammo right now, still have a bunch left and get all of my total ammo investment back.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Academy Sports here in Texas has the UMC 250pk 9mm - $43.99, .40 - $54.99 and .45 - $84.99. Reasonable I would say.
    If those are recent prices, that's much better than they indicate on their web site.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    If those are recent prices, that's much better than they indicate on their web site.

Hoss
    Your right I was off by $20 or so per box., but the prices are still better than what I've seen at the Gander Mountian, Carters Country or Cheaper than Dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Your right I was off by $20 or so per box., but the prices are still better than what I've seen at the Gander Mountian, Carters Country or Cheaper than Dirt.
    Heck, at the rate ammunition prices are going up, the prices you quoted originally could have been accurate a week ago.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

LOL, went to Cheaper than Dirt (YEAH RIGHT), various 50 round boxs of just regular ball is 34-40 bucks a box. Then they mark up from $9.97 upto 15bucks for Wolf 7.62x39 20rnd box.

Stupid...makes me all pissy. I guess this hobby is pretty much done for me.

I am really glad guitar strings havent gone through the roof. LOL
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

There is one thing for sure, I will remember who is doing the gouging on ammo prices. When or if the dust settles on this madness my business will be else where.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    There is one thing for sure, I will remember who is doing the gouging on ammo prices. When or if the dust settles on this madness my business will be else where.
    +1!!!! I can't afford to shoot anything but .22 and sadly I don't have a .22 pistol.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

i've been trying to sell my box of Corbon .380 on "backpage.com" for $75 or best offer but so far, nobody wants it.

In fact 2 guys sent me hate mail.

Some people don't have a sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Not that I am not also more than a little unhappy with ammo prices right now, but it's hard for me to call it gouging if people are paying these prices and the ammo is still flying off the shelves. Basic supply and demand, unfortunately.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    We all need to remember that the price of everything is primarily based on supply and demand. Ever since the arrival of Osama bin Biden the prices of both guns and ammo has soared. The shelves at stores are empty and the demand continues to grow. Ammo plants swear they're operating at full capacity.
    I remember when gas was $4.90/ gal. last Summer, once we cut back, the market collapsed and now I'm paying $1.96/ gal. This might be a time to get into reloading and save the factory stuff. From what I hear, components are still reasonable.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links