This is a discussion on .327 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has any on heard of this caliber? I was in the toy store yesterday and thought the the info card had a misprint. There was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .327

Has any on heard of this caliber? I was in the toy store yesterday and thought the the info card had a misprint. There was a Taurus revolver chambered in .327. I am not looking into this for the sake of purchasing but just to increase my general knowledge of firearms, so any info would be great.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure but I think it's like a 32 magnum or something.

me
    It is a new round made as a cooperative measure between Federal and Ruger.
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Ruger Link
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

The round sounds interesting. I have a ruger sp101 in .357 and love it. Ruger makes the same gun in .327 it is reported to be compariable to the .357 with 20% less recoil. Plus in the sp101 you get an extra round, and that is always good. I'm thinking about getting one for my wife so I can get my .357 back. I would love to hear from someone who has actually shot and used this round.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand.
    Kimber CDP fullsize Kimber CDP Ultra
    Colt Combat Commander Colt Goverment 1991
    Springfield Armory 1911-a1 Sig Sauer GSR 1911

I'm a 1911 guy.

The easiest way to think of the 327 is like a 32 Super Magnum, IMHO.

On the power level it falls between the 38 SPL and the .357 Magnum. For me it's too new and not something I really consider as something that will make great inroads as far as new calibers go, but I could be wrong.

I don't think the demand is there, but as we all get older that may change. It does deserve some consideration by older people, or people with health issues, like arthritic hands and such. Personally I prefer a 9mm/38 SPL as my "minimum", but that may change as I get older.

Biker

Biker

so it's kinda like a 38+p with a smaller pill?

The main problem I see is availability of ammo...

I am very intrigued by the round and am seriously considering getting one. Basically .38 +p ballistics in a smaller package. If another gun ban comes along eventually I think it will really take off. You can already get seven or eight shot large frame revolvers in .357, now you would have a choice of going with a smaller package like a six shot SP101 or how about a ten shot S&W 686?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Since the ammo panic, ammo is avail on a few online sites only, or so it seems.
    The rnd in 115 gr gold dot expands to .5".
    Heavy enough recoil that I had to put a Hogue rubber monogrip on a SP-101.
    Power level is actually the same as some light loaded .357 commercial loadings.
    Gun shoots .32s&w, .32s&w long, & .32 h&r mag as well/

Quote Originally Posted by jdivence View Post
    Has any on heard of this caliber? .
    Yup! I have the Ruger SP101 327. Well I only sorta have it right now. I had to ship it back to Ruger for repairs and am still waiting. It seems they had some pretty extensive quality control problems in their production line and a whole lot of these guns had to go back.

I'm still waiting on a cylinder replacement but there is a shortage.

At any rate, except for the sticking casing problem, which is why it went back to Ruger, I really like the gun and look forward to getting it back. I too put a Hogue grip on it. Shooting plain old 32 ammunition is a light plinker. The H&R 32 magnum rounds are a noticeable step up in recoil but still not bad. Make no mistake, when you shoot the .327 rounds, recoil is significant even in the lightest 85gr hydo-shok.

Got My SP101 .327 Back from Ruger

I got my .327 back today. It looks like Ruger has finally begun producing new cylinders. I hope to take it back to the range for testing myself this weekend.

It's funny, with the shortage of ammunition everywhere, I can still find the .327's locally in both 85g Hydro-shok and 115g GoldDot. Unfortunately not the 100g JSP, which is the cheapest for range fire.

Someone had asked about recoil? A while back I found this on the net, and it matches my perceptions.
    -----------------------------

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...2424373/page/1

mountainclmbr,

First:3-16" barrel

Second: Data published in the Feb,2008 issue of "Shooting Times" magazine on relative recoil.

Recoil in Free Recoil Energy all using the 3-1/16" barrel SP101:
    1. .32 H&R Mag 85 grain JHP 1.46
    2. .327 Fed Mag 85 grain HS JHP 3.08
    3. .327 Fed Mag 100 grain JSP 5.58
    4. .327 Fed Mag 115 grain Gold Dot JHP 5.62
    5. .38 Spec 129 grain HS JHP +p 3.00
    6. .357 Mag 125 grain JHP 7.22

Thanks for that info. I looked at getting a .327 when I was looking at SP 101's. I went with the .357 because I really couldn't find .327 in my area. It would be a nice pickup in the future. My girlfriend wants to try one out because as you said you can always load it up with some .32 H&R mags that don't produce to much recoil.

I have the Taurus 327. Its a fun little gun to play with, though as of yet I haven't fired a single round of .327 Fed Mag in it. The only rounds I've seen locally for it are the 85 grain Hydrashoks. I'd really just like some brass, but the only way to get that right now is loaded ammo. I'm hoping to eventually locate some of the 50 round boxes of American Eagle 100 grain JSP so I can shoot those and save the brass.

Were I to carry the gun, I'd want the 115 grain Gold Dot. As a plinker I'm happy to shoot .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Mag until the ammo situation works its self out.

I'd really like to get a SP101 in the chambering once they get the cylinder problems worked out and the gun becomes available at reasonable prices.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by GettingOld2 View Post
    It's funny, with the shortage of ammunition everywhere, I can still find the .327's locally in both 85g Hydro-shok and 115g GoldDot.
    Maybe it's because everyone else's .327 is still at Ruger for the recall.

I'm new to this forum, and enjoyed reading your questions and comments about the .327. I got one (Ruger SP-101) last August and am very impressed with the gun, the caliber, and its versatility in accepting other cartridges, as some others have pointed out.
    I installed an inexpensive Wolff mainspring to turn a heavy DA trigger pull into one I find smooth, and my wife & daughters can now handle easily.
    Also, I have loaded some fairly heavy .32 S&W Long cartridges that make this gun usable by my recoil-shy daughter (and it shoots through 6 water-filled milk jugs). Of the factory loads, my wife will probably like the .32 H&R Magnum best, given her past preferences with .38s.
    As for me, I've now fired all three commercially available .327 loads, plus a heavy lead bullet load in a .32 HRM case, and I feel very comfortable with them all!
    Ammo & $$$ limitations have kept me from shooting lots of rounds "side by side" to compare the report, but it seems to me that the 100g round has the most wickedly sharp report of them all. The 115g GDHP torques you noticeably, like any other powerful handgun round. The 85g .327 is obviously powerful but indeed lighter in recoil, but its lighter weight clearly makes its effectiveness a bit more dependent on expansion; I suppose the 115g would penetrate deeper, even if the HP clogged up and failed to expand.
    Make no mistake--any of the three .327 cartridges will reach a velocity that will normally cause bullet expansion! These rounds are HOT, and my chronograph indicates that publicized velocities are about right.
    Happy shooting!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links