Okay, I need some input on 9x23 vs. .38 Super.

This is a discussion on Okay, I need some input on 9x23 vs. .38 Super. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Including the guns I've sold off over the years, I've had 7 1911s in all. I currently own three: An SA Mil-Spec, a Colt Commander ...

Thread: Okay, I need some input on 9x23 vs. .38 Super.

Including the guns I've sold off over the years, I've had 7 1911s in all. I currently own three: An SA Mil-Spec, a Colt Commander & a Nighthawk T3. Anyway, all of my 1911s have been in .45acp. It's a good round and I'm happy with it but I'm thinking next time I might just try something different just for grins and giggles.

Here's the question: I know just about nothing about these calibers. How does 9x23 Win. compare to .38 Super? I checked some listed ammo specs, Cor-bon DPX lists both calibers as 1350 ft/sec and 506 ft/lbs. Is there an advantage to one or the other: Price, availability, ballistics, etc?

If I do decide to pick something up in this range it'll likely be another Commander length gun - they're just about the perfect fit for me in a daily carry gun.

Thanks for any advice all, I appreciate it.
    Jack

9x23, wasn't that the ammo used in those Spanish pistols (astra,largo,etc..) years back?

I'm not going to be much help, but in my personal experiences in ammo shopping over the years, I've never once seen 9x23 for sale locally, but have seen some small supplies of .38 super around here.

However, I have seen some ads in Shotgun News that have a large supply of 9x23 surplus for sale.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

1943 - 2009

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Just read through the referenced threads, interesting stuff there. Looks like there's some production models from Colt (my most likely choice) in .38 Super, an XSE LWT Commander in .38 Super might be a possibility. Doesn't look like there's a cost effective way of converting a Colt from .38 Super to 9x23 though, assuming the need for a steel frame. At that point it'd likely be easier (and maybe even cheaper) to have my local 'smith build a 9x23 Commander from the ground up.
    Jack

There is no "conversion" needed when going to a 9 X 23 from a 38 Super barrel in a Colt 1911 Series 80. I own one, so I know. I also have both magazines and have safely shot both calibers out of either magazine. I bought mine new and it came with both barrels. I've since added a 9mm barrel to it. I just had to buy 1911 9mm mags. Hope this helps. BTW, I happened to buy 3000 rounds of the 9 X 23 and 38 Super before obama got elected. So, I bought the ammo at a very reasonable price, Winchester Silvertips and target ammo.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    for some pistol games power factor plays in deciding what caliber to shoot. in the days of single stack pistols you could only carry so many rounds and 9mm fit more than 45acp. but 9mm was a minor power so stuff more powder in the case----make it 9x23 and you get major factor. it helps explain why there are older 1911's in 9x23 and 38 super.
    along comes the 40S&W and the double stack glocks and fade away does the 9x23.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Sounds like you are bored with .45acp. Those ballistics you noted are what a 125gr .357Sig does.

If you are sticking with 1911s, maybe one in 10mm? Kimber has it available Kimber America | Eclipse Custom II

Help on pricing a COLT 1911 Series 80 9X23/ .38 Super w/9mm combo

I am a retired home builder and Vietnam combat vet (May '66 thru Nov.'67, II Corp, Central Highlands). I'm turning loose some of my gun collection to buy a new boat and need some help from all of you in pricing a COLT 1911 Series 80 9X23/.38 Super Combo. That's how it came from the factory. I also have the factory plastic case for it too. It came black, but I had it blued with some of the parts just polished metal. I also had the inside tweeked (polished). I've added a 9mm barrel to it too. It also comes with two Colt 9X23 9 round mags, one .38 Super 9 round mag, and two 9mm 9 round mags. Don't know the maker. The 9mm mags are aftermarket. BTW, I've also loaded both the 9X23 and the .38 Super into all three of the mags that came with it, and had no problems. Both cal. mags are the same as far as I can see. Obviously, I am not including the 9mm in that statement. It's a beautiful weapon! A great shooter. I've only shot about two hundred rounds of the 9X23 and got great groupings from a rest. I like to roll pop cans with it from 25 to 50 yards. I shot only ten rounds with the .38 Super barrel and the same amount with the 9mm. I bought it around 1996. I shoot my Colt 1911 .45 ACPs for the most part. Luckily, through the years, I bought thousands of rounds of the .45ACPs, before obama came into view. (;-)
    Also, I have approx. 150 Win. 125 grain Silvertips, 450 (9 boxes)White Win. 124 grain JSPs, about 50 assorted .38 Super factory rounds, some of those are Super Vels from when I had a Series 70 .38 Super a long time ago.
    It's in pristine condition, like new. I am in no hurry to sell it and just want a fair price. I'd like it to go to an armed forces Vet, but will sell it to anyone that wants it. From what I've read on these forums and classified, this piece is well in demand. I've read that Winchester only turned loose five hundred of this combo. Is that true?
    So, what's it worth? You can email me at bubf3098@yahoo.com., and/or reply here.

Thanking all of you in advance for your consideration,

Pat Shea

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Including the guns I've sold off over the years, I've had 7 1911s in all. I currently own three: An SA Mil-Spec, a Colt Commander & a Nighthawk T3. Anyway, all of my 1911s have been in .45acp. It's a good round and I'm happy with it but I'm thinking next time I might just try something different just for grins and giggles.

Here's the question: I know just about nothing about these calibers. How does 9x23 Win. compare to .38 Super? I checked some listed ammo specs, Cor-bon DPX lists both calibers as 1350 ft/sec and 506 ft/lbs. Is there an advantage to one or the other: Price, availability, ballistics, etc?

If I do decide to pick something up in this range it'll likely be another Commander length gun - they're just about the perfect fit for me in a daily carry gun.

Thanks for any advice all, I appreciate it.
    Jack
    Ballistics and availability are roughly the same. Ballistics are nearly identical, and while you won't find 38Super or 9x23Win on every ammo self, neither is very hard to get. Just a note, I am a big fan of the 357Sig, 38Super, and 9x23Win. I have owned several of each, and I have a Kimber 38Super now, and just recently sold a Colt Lightwieght XE Commander in 38Super. I shot 9x23Win out of both of them (still do the Kimber), as well as other 38Supers I've owned. No barrel change, same magazines, just load 9x23Win and fire. I have some friends who do this as well, and none of us have ever had any issues.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Links