Which round is best?

This is a discussion on Which round is best? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Between a high velocity hollow point that penetrates "less" and completely explodes, and a round of the same caliber that penetrates "more" and mushrooms, which ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which round is best?

Which round is best?

Between a high velocity hollow point that penetrates "less" and completely explodes, and a round of the same caliber that penetrates "more" and mushrooms, which is best for self defense? (smaller than .45)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    federal hst
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

A completely devastating and maximum penetration foot shot with a .40 is not as good as a 'so-so' wound with 'so-so' penetration with a .22 to the eye....

Stay armed...it's a placement thing...stay safe!

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    For me, a combination of both is what I look for.
    The fact that I most often carry something with a 2" barrel, I lean toward a lighter faster bullet, but I look for something with good expansion as well.
    As soon as I can get my hands on the recently re-released Federal Nyclad 124 grain .38 special rounds, it will be my carry ammo.
    Now setting aside defense ammo and looking at pure shooting fun I'l take my GP100 loaded with .357 Magnum rounds, just for the joy of shooting.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

With modern developments in ballistics what matters most is what service caliber / firearm combination can you shoot best. Shot placement trumps everything in a handgun. So the question really should be what gun / caliber combination do you shoot best?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    At first, I was going to post a dissertation of facts and charts on ballistics, but instead, simply take a look of what law enforcement is typically using. The folks at your local gun shop may have some input and advise on that too.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Between a high velocity hollow point that penetrates "less" and completely explodes, and a round of the same caliber that penetrates "more" and mushrooms, which is best for self defense? (smaller than .45)
    anybody

VIP Member
    anybody
    I guess it's simply because a lot of folks feel it's such a personal choice. For instance, for my S&W 642, I like the tests results of the
    38 SPECIAL+P 135 GRAIN GOLD DOT SHORT BARREL HOLLOW POINT
    Speer Ammo - Short Barrel
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

anybody
    As with just about anything the "best" is subjective. IMO you can't go wrong with HST, Gold Dot, or Ranger T. Most LEO's are going to use Gold Dot.

After determining the best handgun/ammo combination, I go for the heavier bullets. Deeper penetration & more mass on target. Less dependent on velocity.
    NRA Life Member

Any modern, name brand hollow point ammunition that functions well in my firearm is just fine with me.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

I want to insure penetration.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    How about Hornady Critical Defence. I got some 9mm but did not get to try them yet. I hear good things about them.

I think 9mm HTS/WinchesterBonded (PDX1) 127gr/124gr
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

TOF
    .40 S&W 155 Gr. JHP. Specificaly the lower cost (last years model) Winchester Ranger.

The milk bottle test tells me they will penetrate sufficiently and end up at .7" to .75" diameter. They also at close range stop Elk that are on the ground from a rifle shot from kicking.

I have never believed that Gold Plated Cartridges were necessary to hunt with or provide personal protection. The Hi Dollar SD ammo is in my opinion over hyped.

I still hunt with Winchester Silvertip rifle ammo as I have since the 50's. There have been all sorts of amazing high dollar bullets developed during the intervening years yet none of them can put a deer or Elk on the ground any faster than a single 180 Gr. .308 Silvertip out of my rifle.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links