Like Some Advice On A 44 Mag Round

This is a discussion on Like Some Advice On A 44 Mag Round within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like a little off topic advice on a good 44 mag hunting round. I have a boar hunt planned for Fathers Day and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like Some Advice On A 44 Mag Round

VIP Member

Like Some Advice On A 44 Mag Round

I would like a little off topic advice on a good 44 mag hunting round. I have a boar hunt planned for Fathers Day and have a new 44 mag revolver that I been practicing with Winchester white box 240 gr. I like to get the opinion of others of a good round for this hunt and caliber. Grain, hollow point, soft point, brand? The 44 mag is a new caliber for me so I have little experience for a good round with what I have planned. The revolver is a Taurus Rageing Bull with a 6 1/2 barrell. I appreciate the feedback.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Hollow points will cause shallow wounds. You want to use soft points that will expand and still provide good penetration. Try the Speer 270gr soft point. That's what I use for Bambi Bashing through my Marlin 1894. Haven't tried the round out of my revolver yet, but I imagine it's gonna bark pretty good.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    When I had my .44 mag I used 240 gr jacketed soft points. They provided good penetration as well as good expansion.

What kind of revolver do you have? Depending on the guns style and weight 240 gr might be all the abuse you want to take. A well constructed 240 gr semi wadcutter half jacket is a wicked round. Up untill the late 70's it was about the only thing you could buy but it still offers some expansion great penetration and hold together great.

For cast bullets look at the Keith style 240 semi-wadcutter in 240 gr also. Its considered by many to be the best design ever.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    When I had my .44 mag I used 240 gr jacketed soft points. They provided good penetration as well as good expansion.
    Archer Thats exactly what Winchester white box is. Do you feel that is a good enough round? Its cheap enough to practice with but wasn't sure if I might use it for hunting. It also has a flat top on it looking not too much different than a semi wadcutter.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    What kind of revolver do you have? Depending on the guns style and weight 240 gr might be all the abuse you want to take. A well constructed 240 gr semi wadcutter half jacket is a wicked round. Up untill the late 70's it was about the only thing you could buy but it still offers some expansion great penetration and hold together great.

For cast bullets look at the Keith style 240 semi-wadcutter in 240 gr also. Its considered by many to be the best design ever.

Michael
    As stated its a Taurus Rageing Bull. Bull barrell, its ribbed and compensated and the barrell is 6 1/2 long.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    "For cast bullets look at the Keith style 240 semi-wadcutter in 240 gr also. Its considered by many to be the best design ever."

That would be my choice. Elmer killed big game game with it, and I see nothing better.

Regards,
    Jerry

VIP Member
    I like the federal 300 gr castcore

In my Ruger Redhawk I use 240 grain Half Jacket HP with great effect. Last fall I killed my first Deer with it. The bullet expanded completely, and dropped the deer ten yards from where I shot it. Although my dad used a Ruger Blackhawk with a 300 grain soft point on a Russian boar, and the boar didn't take a step after it was hit. Either way the 44mag is a powerful caliber.

Congratulation on the new pistol. Tell me how you like the Taurus Raging Bull because I am think of getting one in 454.

Good luck on your hunt.
    Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed. -Winston Churchill-

i use the 240 gr jacketed soft points in my 44 mags. works well. factory and/or my hand loads.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    Hey guys thanks for all the advice. I'm sure I'll make this a great hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Thats what I use in mine and they hit like a truck!
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

Over the years, Iíve taken over 50 wild boars, and guided friends to take more than 100 more.

Iíve shot them with everything from a 270 Winchester, 30-30 pre 64 Winchester lever actions, 45-70 Marlin lever action and a 44 Mag pistol.

And my recorded boar that is hanging in a museum was shot with a 243 hand loaded with 95 grain Nosler partitions. In recent years, Iím no longer after a challenge and Iím more after the meat, so Iíve been shooting the small 150 lb ones with a 270 Winchester hand loaded with 130 grain Nosler Ballistic tips ammo.

Ammo I would consider for 44 mag hunting include

Bullalobore hunting 44 mag
    Heavy .44 Magnum Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

.44 Rem Mag 240gr Lead Semi-Wadcutter-50pk
    Iíve taken many boars with these plain old simple 240 grain wad cutters from Georgia Arms

And while I have not used these I do like
    https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/prod...e8fe743c299764
    corbonís hunter looks like they should do the job

If you after a trophy boar in the 400 lb range plus, you should know that while Iíve seen wild boars drop in their tracks after one shot, most are a tuff critter to drop.

With thick shoulder muscle, and shield, protecting the lungs heart area, they can be hard to take down. And you should also know that they are very aggressive when injured, and can live a long time after being shot in the lungs.
    For this reason, I usually take them with a rifle shot, just behind the ear, or dead center between the eyes. Beware, if you aim to high the bullet will ricochet off the top of their head.

When using a pistol or an iron sight rifle where accuracy is not as good, I shoot to break the shoulder, with a heavy bullet that will then traveling into the heart lung area. Penetration is more important than expanding.

With a broken shoulder the wild boar will not travel as far, and will be easier to locate should a second shot be necessary.
    Have funÖ

For small pigs, any of the above will do. For the larger ones, in addition to the Buffalo Bore, try Randy Garrett Hammerheads (standard and the +P version) and Grizzly Cartridge (several models -- especially the new Tarantula).

I use hornady leverevoluiton 225 gr for my ruger super redhawk in 7 1/2" barrel and just love that round, I slaughter hogs with this round all the time here in North Texas and south Oklahoma
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links