Will the Ammo Shortage/Price Increase Kill Our "Sport?"

This is a discussion on Will the Ammo Shortage/Price Increase Kill Our "Sport?" within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good post retsupt99, I have been telling friends and family the same thing. We have a small supply of things that would get us through ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will the Ammo Shortage/Price Increase Kill Our "Sport?"

Good post retsupt99, I have been telling friends and family the same thing. We have a small supply of things that would get us through about 30 days. Is it enough? I hope we never find out! But we have it if we need it.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Do you know anyone who has decided to sell their guns and get on with life because ammo is tough to get?
    It isn't going to happen?
    Yep, ammo is expensive and tough to get.
    Agreed, many (including me) were saying a year ago..."Buy what you can NOW!" Doesn't matter who caused what, I bought...as anyone could/should have...and If I hadn't, we would have been in the same boat, only I would have still been looking for a little more ammo.
    Wishing people didn't hoard (and I don't look at preplanning as hoarding) doesn't change human nature...it happens. Every time we have another hurricane warning down here, water and batteries disappear...and it will always be that way.
    I have a stash of water and batteries.

We have talked about food shortages and the possibility of an attack on this country. Food and water could be cut short for weeks or months...are you prepared?
    If there were no food or water for a month, could you live or would you just say that you wish people didn't hoard all the food?
    If you DO NOT have a back up of staples to carry you through a month or two...then you aren't listening to the possibilities of coming events.
    Food, water, ammo, med supplies, and a host of other items is something that has been discussed 'to death' on this forum...who is prepared?

I wish no one to have problems, but I owe it to my family to be prepared for the future. I have a couple of neighbors who I have tried to warn about being prepared. My next door neighbor finally got his first SD firearm about 6 months ago.
    At that time, I told him to buy some extra ammo for the correct reasons. He believed that there would still be plenty when he needed it...now he wishes he would have purchased more than the two boxes he has...100 rounds...whose fault is that? Doesn't really make any difference who did what or why...he can't get ammo. I hope a SHTF scenario doesn't occur...he was warned. (Same for food and other food items.)

Ok, I'll step down for now...
    +1!

This gun/ammo surge may be the best thing that's happened to the gun community in some time. More people, even liberals, are buying guns and learning the truth about how gun purchases really work. All this serves as a protective force against anti-gun bills for now.

I think it is highly unlikely that temporary high ammo prices alone will kill the 'sport'. It will slow down how much we shoot, just like high gas prices reduces how much we drive.

There are three significant things at work right now: the President, et al, desire to ban guns and CCW, ammo/gun purchases, and the economy. Both the sagging economy and massive gun and ammo purchases, right now are a huge deterrent to politicians support of gun control bills. The massive G&A purchases are no doubt sending a very clear message to the legislators about how the public feels about guns.

The economy is another deterrent to the anti's. They don't want to do anything right now to stir up more distrust toward the government at a time when the economic system is correcting.

But what happens when ammo sales taper off, and they will - probably by the end of summer, and if the economy stabilizes and starts to recover? Massive ammo sales, etc. and the economy will subside in the minds of politicians, and they'll likely get back to business as usual.

However, hopefully by the time the ammo sales drop off and the economy recovers some, there will be so many new gun owners that that in itself will be a deterrent to politicians considering supporting gun control bills.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I think things may change in 2010, especially if the Democrats get trounced in the Midterm elections, which I think may very well happen; I have been hearing that Obama and the dems are waiting to see if they can hold on for the midterms, and if they don't lose any seats, or even gain some, then gun laws are on the way after 2010; that is why it is crucial that everyone get out and vote in the midterms and start tossing the bums out!

Otherwise, we are in for one rough ride.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

The economy always impact inventory, on all goods.

If its any consolation to anyone, I spoke with someone in the ammo industry and they claim the "shortage" only exists because the stores are buying less. He told me flat out that most ammo makers are sitting on truck loads of already made ammo that is waiting to ship out, but the shops are buying less.

He said if you go to a shop willing to spend the cash on inventory, you will find an endless supply. He said the true shortage is over, and only existed because the manufacturers were caught a bit off guard by the ammo hording. Since then the makers ramped up production and the shortage now is on the stores.

He said little by little some of the stores have been buying more to make up for it, but most are still being cheap with their cash. The problem is that most gun shops are small stores, and small business is directly connected to some owners income. The rest of the economy is bad, even if the gun sales are good. So naturally store owners are going to put less money back into the business, it is a naturally economic condition to tough times.

Larger stores are the same way, they make inventory cuts, and things like ammo are the first to go.

The hording of ammo, is the problem. As a store owner, you have no idea when the hording will stop, and it will stop. So you don't want to order too much in this economy and have it sitting on a shelf. So you continue to buy based on your normal customer needs. Things will pull even eventually. It is cheap and easy to make ammo, so the manufacturers can always make up for a shortage. But the stores are a different story.

EW3
    I would argue that in some ways, this actually helps us that are serious about shooting. I'm talking about those that saw this coming and have plenty of 9mm and .380 stocked up...like myself.

This will mean less crowding at the ranges, fewer "wannabees" that are clueless and dangerous, and maybe even a stop to the price gouging that goes along with panic buying.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

No. I think it's short-sighted to blame the "hoarders" for the ammo prices. In the long run, they will have very little impact on the sport.

Look instead to the administration and the Dems in power ... they are the ones that are going to kill the sport:
    -- Large taxes on ammo is coming; this could drive the price up as much as 500%
    -- new ITAR (http://www.progunleaders.org/DDTC/) rules implemented late last-year will cost small and piece-part manufacturers a bundle to be licensed; many will drop out
    -- the new treaty Obama has agreed to (see http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?pageId=95733) will eliminate reloading and create criminals of millions of law-abiding citizens (unless they pay to get "licensed" ... and you know where that is leading)
    -- New laws passed, such as those recently in CA (AB962), will limit the amount of ammo you can buy (now at 50 rounds), eliminate online sales, and force records of every purchase, including fingerprinting those that buy
    -- increased calls by the pols for implementing microstamped ammo laws, and turning in all existing ammo that doesn't meet that standard, will add to the cost of ammo and make reloading illegal
    -- A new AWB will include everything from Mini-14s to .30-30 lever guns to black powder rifles; what will you shoot then?
    -- laws against lead (whether in bullets or as wheel weights) will eliminate any cost-effective alternatives for bullets
    -- new regulations will control the availability, selling, storage and transport of "explosives", like primers and powder, and virtually eliminate reloading (in conjunction with the above actions)
    -- Etc.

You better start writing your representatives now and follow-up frequently!!
    Last edited by alnitak; April 23rd, 2009 at 04:01 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I think it will drive down the gun prices in time. I know of a guy that was ready to lay down his money for a new Sig. Store had no ammo. The clerk said he could always throw the Sig. The buyer said rocks are cheaper and left empty handed. You would think a gun shop would hold a few boxes of ammo for new gun sales.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I really do not think it will set it back at least not in the long term. Short term the shortage will cause many people to cut back on their shooting. The supply will eventually catch up to the demand but that may take another 6 to 8 months I believe. I ordered from Cabelas a total of four boxes of 380 and 9mm Sellier & Bellot ammo which was ordered "back ordered" on April 6th. I got notice yesterday that my order has been shipped. Nearly 4 weeks but that is better then nothing. I tried two months ago and was not able to get any.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

Chinese ammo

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    That's because the last democrat president BANNED it from importation and you must be too young to remember. I have a case of it around here somewhere.
    Hehe, you caught me. I am too young, I was not even a teenager 1994:

Clinton retreats on China rights - World, News - The Independent

Excellent reasoning there!

"SPORT"? Am I the only one that cringes when "Defensive Carry and training with a Defensive Carry weapon" is referred to as a "SPORT". I have referred to my carry of a weapon as a "COMMITMENT", but never a "SPORT". I just can't picture myself in a Condition Orange situation, and then saying to myself, "Ut Oh, it looks like I'm gonna have to practice my SPORT". Sorry, I just found the term amusing. I know how it was meant, BUT I bought my ammo when I had the chance and still pick up the occasional box or two if I run across it. All I can say is "stay alert" and you'll find some "sporting ammo" somewhere!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I think it could absolutely "kill" it as anything other an activity of the elites. Think it through....
    I did, and I was reminded of ammo shortages of previous wars (World Wars, at that). Sure, it hurt the sport, but it did not kill it.

Ammo prices won't be the one to kill the sport; it will be the people choosing not to support gun rights.
    Beretta 92FS

VIP Member
    I can only speak for my own experience, and then make a "brave" attempt at extrapolation. I have cut back dramatically. Store shelves are bare and I've no desire to pay 3 times what I paid per box two years ago.

Whether or not this shortage will harm the "sport" aspect, it seems to me that except for folks with large stocks stashed away or money to burn, it must inevitably cause people to find another way to play.

As for the SD aspect, short of anarchy or civil war, a few boxes will last a long time---its not like you are firing off rnds every time you go outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I can only speak for my own experience, and then make a "brave" attempt at extrapolation. I have cut back dramatically. Store shelves are bare and I've no desire to pay 3 times what I paid per box two years ago.

Whether or not this shortage will harm the "sport" aspect, it seems to me that except for folks with large stocks stashed away or money to burn, it must inevitably cause people to find another way to play.

As for the SD aspect, short of anarchy or civil war, a few boxes will last a long time---its not like you are firing off rnds every time you go outside.
    Unless you live in Detroit.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Nice one, Sgt. D

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    If its any consolation to anyone, I spoke with someone in the ammo industry and they claim the "shortage" only exists because the stores are buying less. He told me flat out that most ammo makers are sitting on truck loads of already made ammo that is waiting to ship out, but the shops are buying less. ...
    What incredible horse pucky.
    Businesses are only in business to sell.
    They know they can sell every popular caliber shell they can get their hands on, and generally for a higher profit margin than ever, so they don't buy any?

Totally absurd and illogical explanation.

- OS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links