Will the Ammo Shortage/Price Increase Kill Our "Sport?"

This is a discussion on Will the Ammo Shortage/Price Increase Kill Our "Sport?" within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize that the majority of the veteran gun owners on this board have been hoarding ammo for years and use an Ayn Rand ethic ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will the Ammo Shortage/Price Increase Kill Our "Sport?"

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I realize that the majority of the veteran gun owners on this board have been hoarding ammo for years and use an Ayn Rand ethic (i.e. I have my ammo, you should have bought yours). Speaking as a relatively newcomer to the gun world (less than three years), I am wondering out loud if the ammo shortage/price increases will kill our sport...

You might say no, that there are plenty of shooters with tons of ammo. That may be true but think about it this way. If this ammo shortage has a major cooling effect on the sport, in the end, it sinks us all. There could be far less recreational shooters, fewer ranges, fewer instructors, etc. It could have an unintended effect.

I hope I am wrong but I am not seeing any end to this problem and I am deeply concerned about that.

I would have to say that you are defiantly on to something. I am in no way knew to shooting. I may be young but I have been shooting for as long as I can remember.

That being said many of the people that use to come to the range with me every weekend are now avoiding the range. They are disgusted by the lack of ammo, and have stopped shooting instead of searching for ammo.

I mean not many people can afford to go to the range anymore and shoot a couple hundred rounds. It was hard enough to find money for the range before the shortage, but now it is nearly impossible.
    Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed. -Winston Churchill-

If the continuing lack of availability remains, and prices increase, of course the popularity will diminish. Will it kill the sport? Never... It would simply be a temporary setback for the sport; it will bounce back if the popularity goes away during the ammo shortage.
    Beretta 92FS

Senior Moderator
    It dang sure wont help it any.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

it does make one think of geting into reloading...
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    Will it kill the sport? Never...
    I think it could absolutely "kill" it as anything other an activity of the elites. Think it through.... this ammo shortage/price increase is dividing the gun owners into two groups: those that have ammo (the savvy ones) and those that do not (the newcomers, less experienced ones). That first group is small but smart. They will do their best to always shoot. The second group is huge, but they are going to drop out at some point. If ammo was $250 for 50 rounds (i.e. 500% federal tax) then I would almost certainly never practice with live ammo, except on special occasions. I would probably have to say that, right or wrong be damned, the people in power have effectively outlawed responsible access to firearms. I would train up like mad on martial arts and learn to defend myself as best I could with the tools I have available.

I do not think the "sport" will die, though I am concerned that this issue does not seem to bother anyone. Look at churches in the Northeast, public schools in San Francisco, birth rates in Europe... if you do not keep refreshing, adding new people to the mix, eventually the whole thing dies. There could be a massive influx of new people to our "sport" right now, not just buying a Ruger LCP & hitting the range one time but joining IDPA, etc. They would become $1,000/year customers for the next 50 years. Instead, I think a lot of them are discouraged by the lack of affordable hardware.

We need these people. If we do not keep adding new people to our group, we are D*O*N*E. Divide and conquer... a classic tactic to defeat large groups that seem to be united.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    Yes, I am almost certainly going to look into that in the very near future, though if we have to count on reloading ammo to make our sport affordable, well then... our future as more than a "fringe" group is... well, let's just say it looks bleak. The average Joe that gets into shooting is not going to be into reloading... not for a while at least.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    Don't bother, you can't get primers, unless you are willing to pay BIG bucks.

Two months ago I could by 1000 primers for under $30. Now they are selling at auction on gun broker (the only place you can get them)for $165.

1000 Federal Large Rifle Magnum Primers #215M : Supplies at GunBroker.com

I checked Cabelas, and if you order today, your expected shipping date is sometime in September. Midway is not even taking backorders.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I am still waiting for someone to question Robert Gibbs at a press conference about when President Obama is going to address the ammo rationing/shortage!

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I am still waiting for someone to question Robert Gibbs at a press conference about when President Obama is going to address the ammo rationing/shortage!
    Well umm ahh um ahhh umm ah the president ahhh um ah umm uh umm ah...

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Nah, won't kill the sport! This is a temporary price increase due to panic buying and political climate. People will eventually run out of $$$, the manufactures will catch up with demand, or the politics will change. There are ways around everything. Reloading, plastic cases, nylon bullets, air rifles, or some thing no one has thought up yet.

For 50 cents a round, you can manufacture an awful lot of stuff. We may start seeing more imports too. Slow boat from China... I have never seen Chinese made ammo? Maybe there is some on a slow boat right now. India made ammo? It could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I have never seen Chinese made ammo? .
    That's because the last democrat president BANNED it from importation and you must be too young to remember. I have a case of it around here somewhere.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

1943 - 2009
    Are we ever going to get tired of beating this poor old ?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I don't think it will kill the sport outright, but it's going to have a huge impact. I'm sure it has already started. This time last year, I was looking forward to the next IPSC match at the local club range when my schedule allowed. I don't think I've even been to the range with a pistol since sometime in January. Not shooting.....not buying ammo personally.

The ammo shortage chaps me. I love my 9mm and .308, but ammo is to darn hard to get unless you're standing around when it hits the shelves, if not it's gone in minutes. I'm about to use my .22 a lot more.

Do you know anyone who has decided to sell their guns and get on with life because ammo is tough to get?
    It isn't going to happen?
    Yep, ammo is expensive and tough to get.
    Agreed, many (including me) were saying a year ago..."Buy what you can NOW!" Doesn't matter who caused what, I bought...as anyone could/should have...and If I hadn't, we would have been in the same boat, only I would have still been looking for a little more ammo.
    Wishing people didn't hoard (and I don't look at preplanning as hoarding) doesn't change human nature...it happens. Every time we have another hurricane warning down here, water and batteries disappear...and it will always be that way.
    I have a stash of water and batteries.

We have talked about food shortages and the possibility of an attack on this country. Food and water could be cut short for weeks or months...are you prepared?
    If there were no food or water for a month, could you live or would you just say that you wish people didn't hoard all the food?
    If you DO NOT have a back up of staples to carry you through a month or two...then you aren't listening to the possibilities of coming events.
    Food, water, ammo, med supplies, and a host of other items is something that has been discussed 'to death' on this forum...who is prepared?

I wish no one to have problems, but I owe it to my family to be prepared for the future. I have a couple of neighbors who I have tried to warn about being prepared. My next door neighbor finally got his first SD firearm about 6 months ago.
    At that time, I told him to buy some extra ammo for the correct reasons. He believed that there would still be plenty when he needed it...now he wishes he would have purchased more than the two boxes he has...100 rounds...whose fault is that? Doesn't really make any difference who did what or why...he can't get ammo. I hope a SHTF scenario doesn't occur...he was warned. (Same for food and other food items.)

Ok, I'll step down for now...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links