Defensive Carry banner

Can't find ammunition (Merged)

3K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  GLOCK23FAN 
#1 ·
Surprise. I can't find any 9mm ammo.

I am in Seattle. I am going to be driving to Portland. I thought that if I called some of the "country" Walmarts along the way, I could pick up a box or two. Absolutely no one has any. One guy told me that people call the night before to ascertain what is going to be on the truck. In this particular case, they were receiving 9 cases. 9 people showed up and split it 9 ways. Very civil he said.

Ugh.

#2 ·
I called the local Walmart yesterday about 1pm to see if I could find some to replace what was shot at the range last week. Guy told me he had some .40 available earlier that morning but sold it all ($800 worth) to one gentleman that came in. I guess I'm a day late......dollar short too!

#5 · (Edited)
I hit my local WalMart at lunch today. I called in the morning to see if they had any .40 and was told they had one box of Blazer. I told em to hold it and gave em my name.

Got there at 12:30 and they had the one box of .40, (2) boxes of .45 (I picked those up for a friend, and they had about 20 boxes of .380. They had .357 in both flavors but they have had those for a few weeks.

I can guarantee that the .380 is gone by now.

#6 ·
I just hit the Wal Mart in North Scottsdale and picked up about 400 rounds of .40 (cleaned them out), i have found out that the earlier that you get their in the day the better chance you have of actually getting some ammo. I check the ammo case every time i am in there with the famil which seems like every other day for one thing or another. When i was there someone called up looking for .40 and had to be told that they were just bought out. I feel their pain and today i simply got lucky. Although those old guys at the ammo counter are getting sneaky i originally only bought 200 rounds because that was all they had, i then walked around and swung back by the case and saw that they had placed 4 more boxes out bought them up as well so i learned it pays to ask if they have any under the counter.

#8 ·
I found a place, a rural gun store north of me, that I'm keeping secret!!! Just yesterday I bought Federal 125 gr 357's, had my choice of 4 different kinds of quality 5.56 (in box or case quantities), got to handle some of the new .38 Nyclads and saw close to 100' of stocked ammunition display. Only thing he was out of was .380 (isn't everyone) and was running low on 9mm but had some on the way. Now I'm not talking WWB and Barnaul there was lots of the really good premium defense stuff along with plinking stock.

I asked him how in the world he could have so much ammo and he replied "It's 30 years of the right connections". I think his rural location must be helping because if that load was in town it would disappear like free beer!

#11 ·
Yup, that is what it is like here in Spokane. Walmart get shipments about once a week with some ammo (not a lot). I called ever day for a while until they were getting some 9 mm in and waited for 2 hours to be the first. I bought some. :king:

Play the game...

#12 ·
LQQk what I found

So on my way home from Seattle, I found this out of the way sporting goods center that I don't think anyone has ever heard of. Their ammo shelves were stocked pre-Obama. I picked this up

and it was only a fraction of what they had. 9mm Winchester 100 round boxes were $26.99. Not great, but considering the shortage, I picked up 14 boxes. I would have picked up more, but that was all I could afford.

I asked how they do it and the clerk says his buyer is on the phone and internet three times a week buying anything he can find.

Bad news, they are 100 miles from my house. Going back is not a fun chore.

Attachments

#14 ·
If anyone is looking for 32 auto, and lives around Arlington TX. They had a buttload at Sports Authority at 20 and Cooper. Dont know if 32 is hard to find because I dont own a 32, but just wanted to give a heads up.

#17 ·
100 miles from Portland coming from Seattle.........hmmmm.....bet a lot of folks can find it now! The word is out. Tomorrow, that 100 mile drive would be a wasted trip.

#20 ·
Good! That should last you at least 10 minutes. :rofl:

#22 ·
This does raise a question that has come to mind lately. When is it recommended that we stop going from store to store looking for ammo. If we keep not locating the ammo we seek (9mm in my case) is this the point we should be ordering from online ammo sources.

I have not found any 9mm ammo lately here in Vegas lately. At one point I was at the sporting goods counter and two other people were asking about ammo. They BOTH were looking for 9mm as well.

At what point should we just "give up" and start ordering our ammo online? That's a question I have to start pondering on a serious level.

What do you think?

#23 ·
This does raise a question that has come to mind lately. When is it recommended that we stop going from store to store looking for ammo. If we keep not locating the ammo we seek (9mm in my case) is this the point we should be ordering from online ammo sources.
I've long since balanced my purchases between online and brick/mortar local sources. Have often had the bulk of my range rounds be quality reloads from shops that do this. Buying in bulk (2-5Krds a purchase) is a great convincer, for a shop.

Recently, my balance has been swinging toward online. It's there. Tons of it. And you don't necessarily need to be paying huge premiums for it, either. Often, you simply need to respond quickly, to get great deals.

What I do:
  • Get onto Cabela's, CheaperThanDirt, MidwayUSA, Able Ammo, Natchez, Ammunition To Go, and a few other sites.
  • Flag the key items to be notified about, when they come into stock.
  • Wait to be notified.
  • In the meantime, head to GunBroker and other online auction sites, searching for decent deals on bundles of ammo ranging from 250rds to 2000rds, depending on what I'm looking for. In 30mins, one can have 5000rds coming, instead of doing without, and it's very often (almost always, for me) less pricey than the local gun store's stash.
Works very well, for me. YMMV.

#25 ·
Nah. Those 3am toads who send invites to join them at "Ghetto Booty Wench dot com" aren't my sort. That sort needs to focus on buying more ammo, instead. Refer to prior post. :rofl:

#26 ·
Friday I bought 1,000 rounds of 9mm Winchester from Sportsman's Guide which was Backordered to July 20th. I figured that I might as well get in line.

I checked my order yesterday and they are getting ready to ship 500 rounds now and the other 500 is still backordered with the July 20th date. I imagine I will get that before July 20th too!

#27 ·
Good find! Economize and don't go and blow it all off. Practicing is good, but save as much as you can!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.