How long can ammo be stored and be reliable? - Page 2

How long can ammo be stored and be reliable?

This is a discussion on How long can ammo be stored and be reliable? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently chronographed some 38sp and 45acp rounds I loaded almost 30 years ago. The velocity was in the ballpark of what the old reloading ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long can ammo be stored and be reliable?

I recently chronographed some 38sp and 45acp rounds I loaded almost 30 years ago. The velocity was in the ballpark of what the old reloading manual said. They were stored in ammo cans in the house.

i shot some 22lr's that a friend of mine had and they were dated in the 1940's. they all shot fine. the only time i have seen ammo go bad was when another friend sprayed his 22 pistol mag with wd40. it got in the cartridge's and fouled them all.

So if I keep my ammo in a room dehumidified to 35-40% it will be OK.
    What if the temp fluctuates say between 55F in the winter to 90F in the summer?

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    If you keep the relative humidity below 40% you are in good shape. Temperature change 55 - 90 degrees F over a year will not be a problem.

Condensation will only occur if the ammo temperature is below the dew point of the air. So if you take cold ammo and expose it to warm moist air, condensation will occur. This link is to a psychrometric chart : http://www.coolerado.com/pdfs/Psychr...11x17US_SI.pdf
    If you avoid suddenly introducing warm moist air to surfaces below the dew point of the air, condensation will not occur.
    For example if you open the storage container and introduce air that is 90F, 60% relative humidity, no condensation will occur if the surface temperatures of the ammo are 75F. On the chart, 90F is found along the bottom line in black font labeled Dry Bulb Temperature. Follow the 90F line vertical to the intersection with the 60% curved line in red font. Put a dot at that intersection. Then look at the right vertical axis labeled Dew Point Temperature in blue font. On that axis 75F is above the dot, so it is warmer that the dew point temperature of your air. Therefore, no condensation.

I have WWII ammunition stored in WWII ammo tins and it still shoots fine, every last round. No silica packs or anything. And it gets very hot and humid here.

Basically, I buy it, throw it in an ammo tin, and forget about it until I want to shoot it. No special requirements.

It does, however, stay in my closet in the air conditioning. That may help. Either way if there is a shelf life to my ammunition I haven't found it yet.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links