Should stores ration ammo sales? - Page 2

Should stores ration ammo sales?

This is a discussion on Should stores ration ammo sales? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No. It's not the job of a store to play "hall monitor" for people's purchase patterns....

View Poll Results: Should stores ration ammo sales?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

83 44.39%
  • No

104 55.61%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    No. It's not the job of a store to play "hall monitor" for people's purchase patterns.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I voted yes, just to put a reasonable limit on the amount you can buy. Hoarders are making it hard for anybody to enjoy shooting, especially those new to it and just want to learn and practice.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I voted yes.
    As far as speculative government rationing, if the industry can show it can self regulate there is no excuse for government intervention.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Hoarders are making it hard for anybody to enjoy shooting, especially those new to it and just want to learn and practice.
    There is plenty of ammo. It's simply that there isn't enough at the local gun store to support 10000 shooters in the area. Head online and you'll find tens of thousands of rounds for the asking. And it's no more or less expensive than what many of these gun shops are charging when they do get it in. In this sense, the industry's rationing it in the only manner that's honorable for it to do: via pricing changes. At different price points, others will supply it. And they are. There is plenty ... just not at the corner store.

If I were to place a bet as to the root cause of the current shortage, I'd suggest it's far less likely that a few tens of thousands of people wanting to "hoard" a few cases of ammo is anywhere near the millions of people who simply realized that having one or two boxes of ammo isn't very smart, these days. If even a small percentage of those people simply purchased ten boxes of ammo for each primary gun, that would represent tens of millions of rounds of ammo flying off the shelves since election day.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No rationing. Let supply and demand forces work it out. It may hurt in the short term but we'll be better off in the long run if we leave it alone.

Due to the fact that it’s very hard to come by I’d rather be able to buy two boxes than none. So, I voted yes.

VIP Member
    I think this is a decision each store owner can make for himself. If I am the owner of an independent store and don't operate a range as well, I have no incentive to ration--except perhaps that I can keep more of my customers happy by doing so. That way, maybe when the shortage is over they will say to themselves," Joe Gunshop was a good egg who took care of me when things were tough. I could count on at least getting some 'cause he put the horders down."

If I had a range to operate, I'd want to limit sales in a way that kept people using my range--generating range fees, target sales, gun rental biz, etc.

If I were thinking in the moment only, I'd sell at the highest possible price to the highest bidder willing to buy the most in one fell swoop.

I see no reason why these decisions can't be left to the individual owners. We aren't talking about food and fuel or medicine here. There isn't a governmental interest in whether or not we get to play.

Rationing stinks, but can't we who have a stash get by with limited replacement of our ammo in order to let the new guys at least have a box or two?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

You know what, I've got more than enough Ammo to take care of me and my family, so what I do is this:

I have given my business card to every Academy store and Wal-mart store within 5 miles of my home; I told those guys to call me when the truck arrives, and I will come running. When I get there, I only get a hundred or so rounds of what I need or want, then I tip the guy at the store for calling me.

This past weekend I did just that at the Academy store, and there were about 15 people that were milling around by me. I made a public show of buying a hundred rounds of ammo, and saying that "I would leave some for the rest", to which I actually recieved applause!

Of course the next guys bought up everything they had right on the spot.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I can't vote because I think we should leave it up to each store owner. I would appreciate a store limiting purchasers to say 2-5 boxes per purchase if that would mean I saw ammo on the shelves more when I went to buy. But most stores are private property and the owners should be able to run them as they see fit. I would not appreciate a store that jacked up prices to the highest bidder, but that is their right. After all they are losing sales when their shelves are empty. (Hopefully they are taking the opportunity to sale other items to people looking for ammo though.)

Who are we to set "reasonable" limits on other gun owners, or to dictate business practices? "Reasonable" is only reasonable if you agree with the constraints. Let the free market work; and, hope that this isn't the new price level after the manufacturers have learned what the market will bear in a time of crisis. They get used to the profits, just like other "fuel" manufacturers.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    While I voted no, I believe that it is up to the store owner/manager to do what he feels is best for his store.

"There is plenty of ammo. It's simply that there isn't enough at the local gun store to support 10000 shooters in the area. Head online and you'll find tens of thousands of rounds for the asking"

Really, CCW9mm? Try going to ammoman.con, where I buy most of my ammo on line. Under 9mm, there's 1 choice- a Fiocchi FML.
    Under 45ACP, there's this: THIS CALIBER IS CURRENTLY SOLD OUT OF PRODUCT FOR NOW
    BUT PLEASE CHECK BACK AT A LATER DATE..
    That's also under 12 gauge, .40, 38 special, 22lr, and many other calibers.

Outdoor Marksman is out of stock of most. And I find the same at many other online stores.

I voted No, because if you think about it its violating the Second Amendment by limiting the ammo supply because ammo is a arm just as much as any gun that there is
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

I think they should but only temporarily; not more than a year. Restrict to, maybe 200 rds per visit, per person (bring family and friends ).

It worked for Arturo Fuente cigars (Opus X/Hemingways) in 1997/98, until they were able to produce enough to catch up with the demand.

JMHO...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There is plenty of ammo. It's simply that there isn't enough at the local gun store to support 10000 shooters in the area. Head online and you'll find tens of thousands of rounds for the asking. And it's no more or less expensive than what many of these gun shops are charging when they do get it in. In this sense, the industry's rationing it in the only manner that's honorable for it to do: via pricing changes. At different price points, others will supply it. And they are. There is plenty ... just not at the corner store.

If I were to place a bet as to the root cause of the current shortage, I'd suggest it's far less likely that a few tens of thousands of people wanting to "hoard" a few cases of ammo is anywhere near the millions of people who simply realized that having one or two boxes of ammo isn't very smart, these days. If even a small percentage of those people simply purchased ten boxes of ammo for each primary gun, that would represent tens of millions of rounds of ammo flying off the shelves since election day.
    Where are these tens of thousands of rounds you speak of? And in what calibers? I know there is ammo, but in odd calibers. Certainly slim pickings for everything i own.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links