Should stores ration ammo sales? - Page 3

Should stores ration ammo sales?

This is a discussion on Should stores ration ammo sales? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If someone was mandating limits we'd all by "up in arms" (pun intended). If store owners want to ration, that's their call to make. If ...

View Poll Results: Should stores ration ammo sales?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

83 44.39%
  • No

104 55.61%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should stores ration ammo sales?

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    If someone was mandating limits we'd all by "up in arms" (pun intended). If store owners want to ration, that's their call to make. If I was running said store, I'd sell it/auction it off to the highest bidder. I would make concessions for long time steady customers, but I'm running a business who's main purpose is making money and supporting my family/employees. If supply is down and demand is up, prices move accordingly.

I voted no.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Personally, the two box limit at Walmart is the only way I can get ammo. I'm busy and can't keep up with the hoarders that show up daily at 7am to buy all the 9mm. It's not ideal and not very free-market, but I think it helps cool the hysteria and allow busy people to still buy ammo.

There are two scenarios (in addition to individuals hoarding out of fear) which rationing prevents. 1) gun shop owners from buying all of Walmart's stock and then selling it at a markup in their shop. 2) People hoarding and then selling it at gun shows.

People that hoard ammo should instead take a portion of that money and send it to GOA or NRA to lobby for 2nd Amendment rights. That would be a more patriotic and effective use of (some) of that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    "There is plenty of ammo. It's simply that there isn't enough at the local gun store to support 10000 shooters in the area. Head online and you'll find tens of thousands of rounds for the asking"

Really, CCW9mm? Try going to ammoman.con, where I buy most of my ammo on line. Under 9mm, there's 1 choice- a Fiocchi FML.
    Yes, really. Head elsewhere, ie GunBroker. There is a lot of ammo available, just not at the usual stores. THOSE places have limits on what they buy. So does AmmoMan, AmmunitionToGo, CheaperThanDirt, MidwayUSA, Natchez, Streicher's and a score of other "usual suspects."

But, head to an online auction/gathering, for example, and you'll find plenty of people looking to unload a few boxes or cases. Right now, in less than an hour, you could have 10K rds coming from a few sellers on GunBroker. In the past month, I've also see my to faves, DoubleTap JHP 124gr and Federal HydraShok Tactical JHP 124gr as well. At the moment, I've got two cases coming, and it wasn't much more expensive than the best-discounted stuff I've found in the past year.

Yes ... there's plenty, just not at the usual places.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Normally I would say "hey free enterprise" but there have been two situations that have made me change my mind. Twice in the last month I have been approached by two different guys offering to sell me some 380 ammo. In both cases they were offering up a $21 box of ammo for $40 and $45. The kicker is that one of these guys does not even own a gun and the other didn't own a 380. It was purely profiteering and nothing more. We hate it when the gas companies gouge us for their gas why should we be sympathetic to these ammo hoarders when they do the same thing. They are price gouging pure and simple.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimH58 View Post
    Normally I would say "hey free enterprise" but there have been two situations that have made me change my mind. Twice in the last month I have been approached by two different guys offering to sell me some 380 ammo. In both cases they were offering up a $21 box of ammo for $40 and $45. The kicker is that one of these guys does not even own a gun and the other didn't own a 380. It was purely profiteering and nothing more. We hate it when the gas companies gouge us for their gas why should we be sympathetic to these ammo hoarders when they do the same thing. They are price gouging pure and simple.
    If gun owners refuse to buy from those guys, their price will come down. They can't sit on that inventory for long when all they wanted was a quick buck.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    If gun owners refuse to buy from those guys, their price will come down. They can't sit on that inventory for long when all they wanted was a quick buck.
    I didn't buy, but some people will anyway.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

DC Founder
    Stores should do what stores want to do and we shouldn't tell them how to run their business. If you're not getting the ammo you need, you're either not trying hard enough or you're looking in the wrong place....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Well the Walmarts around here have a 2 box limit.

I really don't care. Got enought to sit on...and I'm not shooting much but just other forms of training. I've just recently got a box of 50 .45acp so the wife can perform the reqiured course to get her CHL cost 34bucks. Other than that

I will not buy a box of .45acp FMJ 50count for 39-45 dollars. If thats the new price fromhere on out I'm done with this hobby....the shooting for fun part. Plus I got a .22 for the fun part of shooting.

Heck I can buy HST 50 count box for the same price (if not cheaper) then I'm seeing FMJ (ball) go for.

I voted "no." However, I was at the local gun store today and they had plenty of ammunition. I told the guy I wanted 9mm and he grabbed two boxes and told me there was a two box limit. I think the price was $2 higher than it should have been--not too bad I guess, but I said one box will do for now. I was happy they had ammo and I could buy some. My point is that I think it should be up to us to control ourselves not for others to control us.

I voted yes. Some people have jobs, kids, and other responsibilites that preclude them from waiting at all hours of the day and night for the ammo delivery truck/stocking boy to arrive.

And for those that claim unregulated capitalism will solve the problem.... I assume you've seen the results of rampant speculation and little oversight in the housing and stock markets over the past 6 months right?

To a reasonable degree I think each store should be able to limit their product sales. I do not think it should be mandated. So it could be yes or no depending on how you look at it.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

A few of people hoard ammo hoping to make a large profit when reselling it. It's like scalpers with extra tickets Selling at inflated prices. With ammo being scarce it could drive the price up.

just like in oil and housing, speculators have driven the price up by buying up the supply and reselling.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    If you're not getting the ammo you need, you're either not trying hard enough or you're looking in the wrong place....
    Wally world might be out, but in waco there are atleast 2 other places that have full shelves.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

First come first serve, If I get there first you get whats left ame as if you get there first I gets whats left.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links