Which is Better for CCW -- .40 or .357 SIG?

This is a discussion on Which is Better for CCW -- .40 or .357 SIG? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do think that getting a few opinions from "dudes on the internet" is better than nothing. I do give more credit towards people who ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which is Better for CCW -- .40 or .357 SIG?

I do think that getting a few opinions from "dudes on the internet" is better than nothing. I do give more credit towards people who have wide access to reports on shootings: cops.

I've read two of Massad Ayoob's books, and here is one that talks about defensive ammo & calibers:
    Amazon.com: The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery: Massad Ayoob: Books

Both are excellent rounds. According to that author's findings, the 357 SIG doesn't blaze through multiple people: he stated that the rounds usually are found a few feet behind the person.

The 357 SIG was already super expensive in the "old days" and now ammo prices are just getting ridiculous; so I wouldn't buy into it unless you're rich.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Modern defensive ammo, in the common LE/SD cartridges, is pretty much engineered to behave about the same regarding penetration in living targets. Many report flatter trajectory, better accuracy, and slightly less-punishing recoil with the .357 SIG.

Handgun ammo does not have knockdown power. The P229 in my duty or CC holster does not have knockdown power. The PD's Ford Crown Victoria, that I drive every night, has knockdown power!

Quote Originally Posted by 1boredguy View Post
    I do think that getting a few opinions from "dudes on the internet" is better than nothing. I do give more credit towards people who have wide access to reports on shootings: cops.

I've read two of Massad Ayoob's books, and here is one that talks about defensive ammo & calibers:
    Amazon.com: The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery: Massad Ayoob: Books

Both are excellent rounds. According to that author's findings, the 357 SIG doesn't blaze through multiple people: he stated that the rounds usually are found a few feet behind the person.
    According to a forensics expert I know, who has done work for VSP and area law enforcement for many years, frontal shots of 357SIG JHP frequently penetrate fully, without exiting the back, and are often found under the skin of the back. Some exit the back and are found in the clothing. Overpenetration is not common, in his experience, with COM hits with JHP. Overpenetration is more common, in his experience, with FMJ, but this is also true of other effective calibers. His impression, not based on hard statistics, but on his experience, is that the 357SIG defensive rounds penetrate more consistently and deeper than most 9mm, except for some 9mm +P+ rounds. He did emphasize that it is not a magic round, and that it shares the same tendency with JHP from other calibers, where multiple layers of heavy clothing cause the bullet to fail to expand and behave as a ball round.
    The 357 SIG was already super expensive in the "old days" and now ammo prices are just getting ridiculous; so I wouldn't buy into it unless you're rich.
    I have to disagree, here. Prior to the shortage, I was able to obtain quality practice FMJ at $8.95/50 - not super expensive. Now, I could order it for $16/50. The price has about doubled - in line with other popular calibers. Before the shortage, I could obtain Speer Gold Dots for $16-$18/20, depending on where I shopped, or about $15 in bulk. Double Tap was a little more expensive. Now, Speer Gold Dots are going for about $21.95/20 at a number of stores - same as 9mm.

Of course, the big problem, now, is that everyone is out of stock, or backordered 1-2 months. But for someone who shops for good deals on ammo, the cost of 357SIG is not super-expensive compared to other premium ammo, in my own experience. I was writing to this effect, several years ago, and the situation really hasn't changed, relative to other ammo.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links