Does anyone think the ammo shortage will get better? - Page 2

Does anyone think the ammo shortage will get better?

This is a discussion on Does anyone think the ammo shortage will get better? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If BG stays out of it, the whole shortage will blow over, if not, buckle up....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If BG stays out of it, the whole shortage will blow over, if not, buckle up.

Dont be fooled the only ammo that you can find on line or at your local gun shops are all FMJ there are no JHP in any brand out there if there is they are asking $50.00 a box of 20 rounds which is crazy

I think the ammo situation WILL fix itself as long as the Gov't keeps their nose out of it! If they try to regulate things, I think it will get worse than it is right now.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

Not really I just went to check out ammunitiontogo an saw that they pretty much are out of everything. Now they always were the go to place to get ammo.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Its already improving. OUr local Wal-Marts, one in particular, has recieved thousand and thousands of rounds lately (just over the past four weeks).

Last week they received three thousand rounds of 9mm, they already had tons of .40sw, and last night they got 10,000 rounds of WWB .45acp. Ammo is appearing regularly at Wal-Mart here.
    I have noticed that Wal-Mart has started posting signs that they retain the right to limit the quantity of sale of ammo to any one person. I suppose the reason is to give the public a fairer chance to buy some ammo, instead of allowing all 10,000 rounds to be sold to the first hoarder who walks into the store.

My Wally World still has bare shelfs. Even though the employees say they get ammo about every night.

Hoarding continues here in NC!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Most of my local shops are low or out. Wally had no .45 ACP, no 3" or 2 3/4" 00 Buck. Didn't look at the other calibers. Picked up a Remington Mega-pack (200)of .223 for $100 a few weeks back at Dick's Sporting Goods. The cheapest deal I could find for .223 was online at Widener's Reloading. 1 Case of Prvi Partizan for $402 shipped. I jumped on it and couple days later they were out. At the local gun show last week, I found the same brand and they wanted $500 per case. The guy had what looked like 8-10 cases, didn't appear to be selling very fast, but it was early.

This whole phenomenon will slow down if prices keep going up. Eventually people will stop buying because it won't be affordable and and supply will go up, and hopefully prices will go down. Otherwise I think its going to take a shift in congress in 2010 to calm people down.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Reeeeeeeeally? And just where is this place located?

To the OP...I think it is going to be quite a while before the shelves are ever full again...if so, the prices will remain high...look how many guns have been sold, they're going to need ammo.
    Buy now when you sees some you can afford. OMO

Its uhm, just down the road from where I work!

Uhm, I think you would say it like this . . . .

"Stay armed . . . . don't tell your secrets . . . stay safe"
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Reeeeeeeeally? And just where is this place located?

Timbuktu!

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    That depends on what congress does with a filibuster proof majority.

One way to help is for shooters to cut back on their demand. Demand needs to diminish in order for manufacturers to catch up and prices to come back down.

I've quit trying to store any ammo. I'm only buying what I absolutely need for training. NO fun shooting until this thing is over.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I just received the first shipment of reloading equipment and supplies. I predict that the localized* ammunition shortage will end in one week.

*My house.

There is an ammo shortage?

I've been handloading since 1994. I've never had to worry about a shortage. I will admit that when 9x19 and 5.56mm were $99/1000 I didn't bother to handload them. I could have, and still saved over factory prices, but it didn't seem worth it. So, I loaded the more expensive stuff like .45 ACP and .38 Special.

Now I handload everything I shoot in any volume. I shoot a little 7.62x54R, and I'd load that if I had any boxer primed brass, or I could get berdan primers.

I would suggest handloading to others, but people have gotten as stupid with primers and loaded ammo. If you don't already have them (thankfully I did), getting them right now is a problem.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Well, either I am getting lucky, it's a fluke, people are broke and can't continue to buy, people are running out of storage space, or ammo is coming in more regularly. I went into my local Wally World about 12:15 p.m. and there was a CASE of Blazer FMJ 115 gr 9mm, setting behind the locked glass doors, on the shelf, still in the box. There were also about 12/50 count boxes on the shelf, Blazer FMJ, $8.97 a box. However, there is now a sign at the ammo counter that says Walmart will NOT allow more than six items (boxes of ammo) to be purchased by one person on the same day. Hmmm...wonder how they're gonna keep track of that...Anyway...ammo is on the shelf, for at least a little while.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Supply is coming back slowly. Now Hartsville still has almost nothing on the shelf and Cheraw has almost nothing on the shelf. I have managed to just keep an eye out at each one when Im there and I am able to run across ammo.

Last week they went through 20 boxes of .380 in an hour. I basically watched it happen.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    New wally world opened today up the road from me. Handgun ammo was sold out within 15minutes of their grand opening at 8am according to the employee back in sports. When I stopped in at 2pm, they had one box of .357 sig and maybe a dozen boxes of .44mag. I don't shoot .44 mag for fun so I passed on that and I don't have a .357sig.

Heard one wally world employee talking to another. She said that they had a hard time doing the ribbon cutting because people were trying to bust thru and get to the ammo.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Is it just me, or is the last thing the world needs is another ChiComMart, good prices on ammo or not?
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links