Does anyone think the ammo shortage will get better?

This is a discussion on Does anyone think the ammo shortage will get better? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In 4 years after the next election....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone think the ammo shortage will get better?

In 4 years after the next election.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Yes, as will the components problem

VIP Member
    Maybe if the next election goes better than the last one.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have not read all the replies here, so I am responding only to the original post. The ammo shortage IS already better, and I mean dramatically better, based on a few shopping trips last week at several sources in the Houston area and the Cabela's in Buda.

I have seen .223 in quantity, consistently, at several places. Defensive ammo is once again available, in smaller quantities, in most of the more popular cartridges, except for .380, which seems to stay sold out everywhere. I don't use .380, but friends do, and so I make it a point to look for it. Cabela's had NO .45 Colt ammo.

I don't expect prices to go down much, if places were charging at or near retail. The places that were price-gouging will have to come down, eventually, as supply catches up with demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    I have not read all the replies here, so I am responding only to the original post. The ammo shortage IS already better, and I mean dramatically better, based on a few shopping trips last week at several sources in the Houston area and the Cabela's in Buda.

I have seen .223 in quantity, consistently, at several places. Defensive ammo is once again available, in smaller quantities, in most of the more popular cartridges, except for .380, which seems to stay sold out everywhere. I don't use .380, but friends do, and so I make it a point to look for it. Cabela's had NO .45 Colt ammo.

I don't expect prices to go down much, if places were charging at or near retail. The places that were price-gouging will have to come down, eventually, as supply catches up with demand.
    Howdy Mr. Rexster.

I see the same signs and agree with what ya' all said.

Take care and stay safe,

Biker

Not much better in Phoenix yet. Ran into 2 boxes of 44 mag and felt like I won $20 on a scratcher ticket.

Reloading is the only way to survive these situations. If demand comes down, I will stock up even further to hedge my risk against this happening again.
    Be prepared

As soon as people run out of $ or room. Then the ranges will be full of Wednesday night bowlers as no one will and cash to do anything else. >When the Republicans become republican again then they can come back into office.<

I don't want to hoard any ammo I just want to have a couple thousand rounds on hand. I have been trying real hard for weeks with no luck and I have been trying lightly for months.

It has to get better sooner or later but when one hoarder is filled another one takes their spot. It is pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    There are an estimated 80M gun owners in the U.S. If just 1% of them (800k) respond to the hysteria by purchasing just 2,000 rounds of ammunition to "stockpile" you've got a sudden surge of 1.6 billion rounds in demand.
    This from an article on CNN.com:

"Each year U.S. ammo manufacturers make about 8 billion rounds, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation..."

So, if people are not hoarding (which I believe many are), there, in theory, should be enough ammo to serve the demand.

Source article:
    Ammo hard to find as gun owners stock up - CNN.com
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

My Walmarts are getting Blazer ammo in 357sig,9mm, and 40caliber and it's cheaper then Winchester white box.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    This from an article on CNN.com:

"Each year U.S. ammo manufacturers make about 8 billion rounds, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation..."

So, if people are not hoarding (which I believe many are), there, in theory, should be enough ammo to serve the demand.
    Sorry, I may not have explained myself well. My point is that if 1% of the gun owning community buys just an extra 2,000 rounds of ammo (hoarding, whatever), then you've just added an extra 1.6B (20%) to the demand.

My SWAG is that a greater percentage of people are, in fact, buying excess for a rainy day and some are certainly buying more than just two extra cases.
    Train Hard, Stay Safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com

JEC
    Supply's may improve but don't expect to see the prices at the levels they were.

What you paid for 1000 rounds of 9mm in December '08 is already up nearly 10% (if you can find that same 1000 rounds today).

The manufacturers costs will continue to rise, taxes will play into it and of course there needs to be a profit made but people will continue to pay it because they enjoy it. It's a shame that what we enjoy the most will become a pastime for those that can best afford it. Having said that my range time has already had a serious dent put in it. I don't look forward to being held to a mere 100 rounds once a month maybe.

.22 is getting a good workout for sure
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links