124+P vs. 147 HST

This is a discussion on 124+P vs. 147 HST within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; for 7 bucks a box less i would go with the 147gr......

View Poll Results: 124+P vs. 147 from a 3" XD Sub Compact

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • HST 124+P-post why

28 63.64%
  • HST 147-post why

11 25.00%
  • HST 147+P-post why

5 11.36%
  • other-post why

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 124+P vs. 147 HST

for 7 bucks a box less i would go with the 147gr...

2. Remove Ads

Both will stop a bad guy. Besides penetration, higher grain means "more lead to spread." A faster bullet will make more of a "splat impact."

I give the edge for the 124 +p in a short barrel.

I am not a ballistics expert or a cop that has been both types of 9mm shot at bad guys.

Massad Ayoob's opinion in his book, based on his findings with other cops, was my main influence.

Amazon.com: The Gun Digest Book Of Concealed Carry: Massad Ayoob: Books

ok, thanks I will prob pick up 200 rounds 100 round of 124+P and 100 rounds of 147

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    Not to many ranges allows you to draw you pistol. A matter of fact, I do not know of any that will let you draw

Maybe you are going to the wrong Ranges?

When I go to a public range I try to go during "off" hours, as there are too many idiots for my taste. Also, I prefer to not run in to people I've had to deal with in my job. Lastly, I'm becoming a big advocate of wearing my bullet resistant level III vest at the Range for said idiots.

Sorry to derail the thread. As far as ammo choices, I see you went with 100 of each. Personally I would pick one and buy at least 250 rounds of it. Run the first 200 through your gun and if you have no malfunctions and what not, load the next fifty in your magazines and carry that for six months to a year.

Then, in six months to a year, buy another fifty. Shoot your carry ammo out of your gun and spare magazines and reload with fresh stuff. Just make sure the fresh stuff is the same EXACT ammo as what you just shot out of your gun. If not, start all over with another 250 Rounds.

Biker

ok, thanks and i planned on only running one full clip (10 rounds) of each different load though the gun and then choose my round I want to carry and load it up

IMO firing one magazine worth of HST, or w/e JHP you're going to use as a carry round, is not enough for a function check. Multiply the number by no less than 10 and closer to 20.

Quote Originally Posted by deviceman View Post
    IMO firing one magazine worth of HST, or w/e JHP you're going to use as a carry round, is not enough for a function check. Multiply the number by no less than 10 and closer to 20.
    +1 on that. Even in my Glocks I want more of a test then that and they "eat anything."
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

124+P like TONY the TIGER said THIERRRRR GRRRRRATE
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Maybe you are going to the wrong Ranges?

When I go to a public range I try to go during "off" hours, as there are too many idiots for my taste. Also, I prefer to not run in to people I've had to deal with in my job. Lastly, I'm becoming a big advocate of wearing my bullet resistant level III vest at the Range for said idiots.

Sorry to derail the thread. As far as ammo choices, I see you went with 100 of each. Personally I would pick one and buy at least 250 rounds of it. Run the first 200 through your gun and if you have no malfunctions and what not, load the next fifty in your magazines and carry that for six months to a year.

Then, in six months to a year, buy another fifty. Shoot your carry ammo out of your gun and spare magazines and reload with fresh stuff. Just make sure the fresh stuff is the same EXACT ammo as what you just shot out of your gun. If not, start all over with another 250 Rounds.

Biker
    Good adviseÖ. I think thatís the way we were taught, and I fallow same today.

Only now that Iím having a harder time finding an ammo locker to raid and I have to pay for it, I only swap out once a year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links