124+P vs. 147 HST

124+P vs. 147 HST

This is a discussion on 124+P vs. 147 HST within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering on the basic question of the 124+P vs the 147 grain HST round. Which one will have the best expansion and penetration comming ...

View Poll Results: 124+P vs. 147 from a 3" XD Sub Compact

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • HST 124+P-post why

28 63.64%
  • HST 147-post why

11 25.00%
  • HST 147+P-post why

5 11.36%
  • other-post why

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

124+P vs. 147 HST

Just wondering on the basic question of the 124+P vs the 147 grain HST round. Which one will have the best expansion and penetration comming out of a 3" barrel. The gun is a Springfield Armory XD Sub Compact.

I understand the 124+P will move faster and should expand fast. Also I know the 147 is a heavier bullet so should penetrate more correct.

Just wondering Which round would be the best in that gun. I hear the 147 is too heavy sometimes. Would the 147+P be the best of both worlds fast and heavy or what. So whats your input for each round in the Sub Compact.

Thanks

I'd take any I could get at this point. I picked 147gr because I think it's good enough, but I currently carry 124gr HST +P and straight 124gr HST. I feel that I'm most accurate with 147gr for some reason.

PS: Molon(I think) at ar15.com chronographed short barrel loads and the 147gr load lost the least speed out of a short barrel.

ok, thanks. Just wondering which will give me around the best overall performance. The results I have seen the 147grain seems to look bigger when it expands

Pistol Cartridges (9x19mm Luger)

Flip a coin because either one will get the job done. Are you still trying to decide on what to get?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-9mm-ammo.html

Quote Originally Posted by deviceman View Post
    Pistol Cartridges (9x19mm Luger)

Flip a coin because either one will get the job done. Are you still trying to decide on what to get?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-9mm-ammo.html
    no, i know what round I want I want the HST round just not sure on the load and grain

Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    no, i know what round I want I want the HST round just not sure on the load and grain
    It's subjective so there is no definitive answer. Buy some of both and see which one YOU and YOUR GUN prefer.

VIP Member
    Buy what you can find and buy allot of it!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

124gr. +P is better. 147gr. is more prone to under expantion and under penetration. out of a short barrel even more so.

it does seem to be less of a problem with the HST.

im sure others will disagree.

I currently have Federal HST 147gr JHP in my Glock 26 that serves as my EDC, and Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP in my home defense Glock 17.

There is no such thing as a magic bullet.

All modern premium handgun bullets in 9mm up can and will cause massive damage to a humanís heart, lungs, or arteries.

The difficulty is in a panic situation, being able to deliver multi rounds in the com area of a BG, quickly.

Making a casual appearance at a range once a year and taking your time, to line up the sites, and then feeling good that you can punch holes in paper is only the beginning.

You must put the time in to practicing draw firing, and hitting multi targets within seconds, at different distance.

People do not rise up to meet a situation, but rather you are about 50% as good as you are at the range.

The best thing to do is go to the range once a week, and practice, practice, and practice and when you think youíve got it down, continue going to the range at least once a month to keep your proficiency. If you proficiency starts to decrease, go back to visiting the range weekly.

I go with 124 grain just because the 9mm handgun was designed
    around it
    If I remember right the 115 and 147 were added to the line up
    later
    The 124 grain fmj is used for all out war, why not just carry a
    +p hollow point in 124 grain and and leave it at that?
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I currently have Federal HST 147gr JHP in my Glock 26 that serves as my EDC, and Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP in my home defense Glock 17.

There is no such thing as a magic bullet.

All modern premium handgun bullets in 9mm up can and will cause massive damage to a humanís heart, lungs, or arteries.

The difficulty is in a panic situation, being able to deliver multi rounds in the com area of a BG, quickly.

Making a casual appearance at a range once a year and taking your time, to line up the sites, and then feeling good that you can punch holes in paper is only the beginning.

You must put the time in to practicing draw firing, and hitting multi targets within seconds, at different distance.

People do not rise up to meet a situation, but rather you are about 50% as good as you are at the range.

The best thing to do is go to the range once a week, and practice, practice, and practice and when you think youíve got it down, continue going to the range at least once a month to keep your proficiency. If you proficiency starts to decrease, go back to visiting the range weekly.
    THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET!

With that said, I tend to favor the 124 grain +P loads myself, if I can't get the +P+ stuff. I don't have a problem getting the +P+ stuff.

The 124 grain +P tends to run faster, which is a benefit in the 9mm, IMHO. It also has a proven track record that the 147 grain doesn't yet have.

I realize that the new 147 grain loads are supposed to be pretty good, but I was around for the first introduction of the 147 grain loads and know of one LEO that was killed due to the over-penetrative capabilities of that round. That has prejudiced me against 147 grain anything.

Biker

The +p allows the projectile to achieve its performance velocity from my shorter barrel.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    I carry the 124 +p in all of my firearms and i recently shot it out of my sig and i was very impressed. It is now my always carry. The expansion is outstanding.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Not to many ranges allows you to draw you pistol. A matter of fact, I do not know of any that will let you draw
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

ok, thanks i can get the 147 for around 7 bucks cheaper than the 124+P per box so I aint sure which route I should go.

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links