DoubleTap .45 ACP and .44 Magnum

This is a discussion on DoubleTap .45 ACP and .44 Magnum within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a chance to do a little shooting with DoubleTap ammo in each of these calibers and I am impressed. I got the 200 ...

Thread: DoubleTap .45 ACP and .44 Magnum

I got a chance to do a little shooting with DoubleTap ammo in each of these calibers and I am impressed. I got the 200 gr. and the 230 gr. .45 ACP loads, both were accurate and controllable from my Commander. They did produce more muzzle flip with my Commander than standard Speer GD loads, but it wan't excessive. I'll have to do some more comparison tests when the range isn't quite so chaotic.

The .44 Mag was just plain fun. I got a long barrelled S&W 629 a few months ago and hadn't fired anything but CCI Blazers through it until yesterday. The Blazers are very accurate and fun, but not real Magnum loads. This DoubleTap load is most definitely full Magnum strength! 240 grains of Gold Dot SP at 1500 fps from a 6.5" barrel is an interesting experience. I'm probably getting higher velocities from my 8 3/8" barrel, but I don't have a chrono so there's no way to tell for sure. Recoil wasn't excessive in my Smith, even with wood Eagle grips. The long barrel really helps to tame this round. Accuracy at 25' offhand was superb, provided I did my part. The SA trigger on this Smith does a lot to make the shooter look good. If you're looking for a good hunting round take a look at Double Tap. This may be a bit excessive for a BG load though, unless you've got multiple attackers who want to line up four deep and hold real still for a second or two. Then you could get four stops for one shot!
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Double Tap makes some good Ammo

I've read that DT may be pushing Gold dots beyond there intended velocity parameters...any thoughts on this?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunting Coyotes
    I've read that DT may be pushing Gold dots beyond there intended velocity parameters...any thoughts on this?
    ....interesting news....where did you pick up that info?

I also use DT in my 10mm's....165 grain Golden Sabre JHP running at a posted velocity of 1425 FPS from a 4.6" barrel....woo hoo!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

SRFL,

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you...I forgot I posted on this thread. The comment is in regard to higher than design velocities causing fragmentation. I have no personal experience with this...it is what I have gleaned from comments of those more knowlegable than I on this matter. I have seen verified reports of some popular SD rounds fragmenting when shot at higher velocities...I beleive GD was one of them, but I am not sure. In fact, I'm not sure it is really of any concern in most SD situations. Perhaps more of a concern In LE situations where barrier penetration is more critical. Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links