Gold Dot from Georgia Arms

This is a discussion on Gold Dot from Georgia Arms within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see that Georgia Arms offers Gold Dot but it doesn't say Speer. Does this mean that the ammo is manufactured by them using Gold ...

Thread: Gold Dot from Georgia Arms

Gold Dot from Georgia Arms

I see that Georgia Arms offers Gold Dot but it doesn't say Speer. Does this mean that the ammo is manufactured by them using Gold Dot bullets? And if so, is there a quality difference?
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

2. Remove Ads

I have seen a few commercial loaders that use the Gold Dot bullet but don't use the name. Even Double Tap calls it "Bonded Defense" in Gold Dot and "Controlled Expansion" with the XTP bullet. I can only imagine it's a marketing or license or legal thing.
    osCommerce

I can speak for the quality of Double Tap, haven't fired Georgia Arms in years. The bullet is the same one loaded in the ammo and available to handloaders I'm sure.

I'm wondering if the quality it up the the task of betting my life on if I buy it.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump

I've used Georgia Arms for my target shooting needs in 9mm, .40, and .223 and haven't had any problems after thousands of rounds downrange. Reliable, accurate ammo that suits my needs. I don't see why there would be any quality difference in their Gold Dot bullets over the FMJ. Infact, The next time I need some SD ammo, I was going to purchase the Gold Dots from them.

They use the Gold dot bullet but their case and powder, i asked them and they said they were making that bullet before speer was???

Are the ballistics comparable?
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    They use the Gold dot bullet but their case and powder, i asked them and they said they were making that bullet before speer was???
    lol...as far as I've ever been able to tell, Georgia Arms Gold Dots are made by Speer, comparing them side-by-side. Georgia Arms used to be hotter, but after Speer came out with their 1375fps load (357SIG), I couldn't tell the difference. I still use Georgia Arms Canned Heat FMJ for training, though I haven't had to buy any for quite awhile. Never had a problem, and didn't experience the double loads or extra hot loads some have reported. I've also not had a problem with bullet setback in their 357SIG loads. Before I had to stop shooting because of getting sick, I shot Georgia Arms with confidence. I'm looking forward to shooting, again, after I get home, this weekend.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    that place is about an hr from my parents house and i know a lot of people who us there stuff and like it alot!!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

I use Georgia Arms ammo, and haven't had any problems. For what it's worth, my carry ammo is from Double Tap.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

I carry my 45 with DT. It goes bang every time.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Links