Denver, CO

This is a discussion on Denver, CO within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, Ammo: I have a G27 (40 S&W) and am looking for some target practice loads. Any recommendations or any brands I should stay ...

Thread: Denver, CO

Denver, CO

Hi everyone,

Ammo: I have a G27 (40 S&W) and am looking for some target practice loads. Any recommendations or any brands I should stay away from (don't want too pricey but also don't want something too smokey that will be a pain to clean later (wolf). And this is assuming I can find ammo to buy lol.

I'm also in search of a good shop; I see some people here are from Denver or nearby, and I'd love some suggestions. I'm not afraid to make a special trip either, so anyone up to a few hrs away with a great shop should say so! Maybe I should clarify on 'shop' too: I'm looking for a place with a selection of rifles, handguns, shotguns etc with good customer service (if I go into one more darn place that has some elitist jerk behind the counter) and basically good selection.

Ranges: anyone have a favorite range in CO? Pistol and rifle would be great.

Thanks, I know most of my questions are a little off the ammo topic!

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to DC.

The only things you should avoid ammo-wise are lead bullets (not recommended by Glock) and reloads (not worth risking your gun and voiding the warranty). The Wolf ammo I've seen lately has been much cleaner, and a lot less stinky, than some of the older stuff. Take what you can get to shoot.

Can't help on ranges or shops in your area, but if you get to FL....

I carry a 27 as well, and as far as ammo, I'm having a hard time finding anything, so I buy whatever I see. Welcome to DC from Western KY!

actually found some ammo at the bass pro shop in northfield stapleton mall if anyone out there is looking...

not much for you 9mm folks but they did have the remington 250 packs for 40 and 45! Tons of shotgun ammo and a slimmer selection on rifle ammo, but did see some 223

Welcome!

Ammo: If you ever get to the Tanner Gun Show, there is a fellow that sells reloads there. His table is usually straight back from the door, almost all the way to the back of the room. I know some do not like getting reloads that they have not loaded themselves, but I have had good luck with the 9mm and .45 ACP I have gotten from him. Otherwise, I will use either WWB (Winchester White Box – Winchester USA brand) or Remington UMC ammo.

Good shop: It depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a good price on something to buy, try Green Mountain Guns in Lakewood. They usually have a decent selection and are willing to order or receive transfer of most anything. AND they generally have the best pricing in the area.

If you are looking for somebody to do some work, well again, it depends on what you want. If you want a local shop, you can try Gunsmoke in Wheat Ridge. They also offer classes and run African Safaris.

Range: There are several places where you can go out and shoot in “National Forrest”, most notably out along Left hand Canyon Rd. just north of Boulder. However, I personally do not care to go shooting around a bunch that I am unfamiliar with unless it is a controlled range.

I went ahead and joined Clear Creek County Sportsman’s Club up in Dumont (west on I-70 just past Idaho Springs). Membership is less than $100.00 annually, as long as you are a NRA member, and it is a secured outdoor facility. Both gates are padlocked and you act as your own safety officer. They have 5 25 yard pistol bays and 2 100 yard rifle bays. I have never had to wait for a bay, but it does get a bit chilly during the winter. In general, they are a good group that goes there.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply blackjack, I'll give that shop a try!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Give this a try. Tactical Defense Solutions LLC - Practice/Range Ammo Lawman is good stuff and so is the Winchester White Box
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

P45
    Ammo- winchester white box is great for practice
    gun shop sales- Green Mtn Guns
    the only smithing i have ever had done was a gunsmoke
    BlackJack hit the nail on the head!
    I like to shoot up by pawnee grass lands or above central city
    It''s good to see some other people from CO on here.

DCT
    A few thoughts ...

Ranges - depends upon where you live and are interested in. I belong to the Ben Lomond Gun Club (BLGC Home Page). It's kind of in nowhere land .. but a great range. You can shoot anything you want and at up to 600M. No crowded, great for practicing self defense (such as drawing from a holster while moving etc ... (not many ranges are truly self defense friendly in my experience). For us it's a family affair and it's kid friendly and the shooters are all very friendly folks.

Green Mountain is a nice indoor range .. but a bit expensive IMHO. Though you can typically shoot for as long as you like and it's clean and never crowded (pistol & rifle ranges).

I agree with the other posting on Green Mountain having some of the best pricing around. It seems like more shops than not are staffed by folks with an attitude and Green Mtn Guns is no different (IMHO) .. but they do generally have one of the better selections around and good pricing. I also like Jensen arms up in Loveland, but it's a long haul from SW Denver so I don't make the trek very often (one of better shops for a wide variety of gear - IMHO).

Bass Pro has some decent pricing on bulk Winchester from time to time .. but my luck has been limited of late. :-(

FWIW, There was a interesting series of phone calls with the owner of Gunsmoke just last week on the Troubleshooter radio program. IMHO and that of several others folks that heard it ... I'll never do business with Gunsmoke as the attitude of the owner was "interesting" to say the least. I have had some gunsmithing work done for me by Prairie Arms .. it was OK. Convenient for me, but I always feel like an outsider there even though I've actually purchased several guns there.
    ** Sig P229 (9mm / .40) w/ CT / Walther PPS / Glock 27 / Kimber CDP Pro II **

arz
    DCT-

Are you going to the BLGC open house on June 13?

http://www.blgc.org/openhouseflyer2009.pdf

I'm not currently a member, but am new to CO and am looking to get back into shooting. I'm hoping that it's as nice a facility as people have said and that the people are as good as I've heard.

DCT
    I was planning to, but have since decided to sign up for the CQS course being taught in No Denver that weekend.

I really like BLGC. If you appreciate the freedom to do as you please (within reasonable and basic safe limits), you'll like BLGC. I personally don't care of the let's all change targets every "N" minutes .. stand around while someone dinks around trying to staple a target to a piece of cardboard for 10 minutes ... or the pure bullseye shooting (which I'm fine with .. but some are a bit intense). For us we pull the truck into a berm and can have maybe 5-6 shooters on a berm together. All being very safe, but having a lot of fun. Depending upon the berm, you can also pull out the AR, shotgun while still also shooting handguns and the kids with their .22's. Then pop over to the high power range and work on long range and maybe over to the .22 silhouette range for the kids to have some more fun. I've yet to try Trap .. but hope to and for those into Cowboy Action ... all there.

From Castle Rock you are closer and it's not necessarily the day trip it is for us, all the better! I wish I was a bit closer and could pop over for an hour or two, but it's just to far. The fact that you can safely and readily practice defensive shooting is HUGE. There are other ranges that offer this, but none that have all the options and in my case are kid friendly. $$ wise it's very competitive as well. You should attend one of the monthly club meetings for your local chapter as it will help you to meet some folks and get a better feel for the club and the membership.

You might also consider going to check out one of the upcoming Appleseed shoots being held at BLGC.
    ** Sig P229 (9mm / .40) w/ CT / Walther PPS / Glock 27 / Kimber CDP Pro II **

Dont own a .40, but i can tell you not to shun wolf. It is very good ammo for the price. Great practice ammo if thats what your looking for. Also, welcome to DC!
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

thanks again for the posts, a lot of good info here to get me going.

Thanks

Links