AMMO the new gold?

This is a discussion on AMMO the new gold? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read articles like this for some time now... and I wanted to know if you agree with it? Ammo Becomes The Best Investment ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMMO the new gold?

AMMO the new gold?

I have read articles like this for some time now... and I wanted to know if you agree with it?
    Ammo Becomes The Best Investment of the Year | PennyJobs

These days, I can't even find BULK RIMFIRE at walmart... those 550 round "value packs" from remington are not on the shelves... plenty of .30-06, .270 etc but NO 9mm, rarely any .45 etc. Gun shows are doubling the price of WWB brand, primers etc... it's crazy.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

2. Remove Ads

No. I don't agree. Of course, ANY commodity has the potential to become a form of currency, but I think ammo is not going to be one, yet. I WAS worried about this, sitting in California and listening to what a lot of you were running into, at home. Having gotten home and seeing what I'm seeing, locally, I'm not nearly as concerned as I was. Ammo is in-stock, prices are not outrageous (though I'd like to see them come down), and this was true at several stores.

It also agrees with what we have been hearing from manufacturers, telling us that they are working to meet demand and that shortages should ease over the next few months. I'm not saying there aren't shortages. I am saying, though, that supply and demand seem to be in balance, for the moment, where I am. With the exception of primers, things aren't looking bad, here.

I remember the last time gold was trading at over $800/oz. I was there the day the spot market fell off its highs and locked limit down. Even as speculators and forecasters were predicting highs of $1200/oz or higher, gold locked limit down at the open, the following day. And though the tumble slowed, it didn't stop until gold reached levels around $250/oz.

Speculators who bought cases of 9mm JHP at $25-$30/20ct are going to regret it, when the manufacturers catch up and the price drops back to $18-$20/20ct. There may even be some panic selling. Of course, we will see some stubborn hold outs, trying to recoup their investment, offering their inventory at inflated prices because they can't afford to take a loss. But I'm thinking, now, that we will see prices return to near where they were before the run-up. JMO, of course.

From what I saw, yesterday, supplies were plentiful, even in common handgun calibers, and the prices weren't out of line with what premium defensive rounds have been running for a long time. Not cheap, but certainly not double normal prices. This was at multiple shops.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    This post is spot on Tom. I really wished people wouldn't have panic bought in the first place because in the end it will only hurt gun owners overall.

Panic buying hurts gun owners in the following ways:

-There is an initial shortage of ammunition (including the necessary components to construct ammunition). Without ammo, guns are just paperweights (and since mine is a GLOCK, it's not even a pretty paper-weight). Plus law abiding citizens cannot defend themselves or practice defending themselves.

-There is an initial shortage of firearms followed by sky rocketing prices. Guns were already expensive before the general gun buying community went nuts; this puts people with shrinking incomes at an extreme disadvantage. Instead of purchasing a $300 gun, they now have to spend $450 for the same quality if not the same gun.

-When gun prices level back off the panic selling will start as Tom points out. This means unsavory people with questionable values will be able to attain firearms easier because of the desire to sell firearms as quickly as possible.

Bummer.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I totally agree with both of you. I was told by one of my friends who just got back from leave in the states (im in iraq), that where we live in OK was and is unnafected by the ammo shortages.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

jfl
    The new gold ???
    I disagree, gold is easy to buy (if you have the $$$)
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

New Gold? No. It seems like the shotages are easing up a bit (Around here) anyway
    2A is not negotiable

To me, no. To others, including E-retailers like Ammunition To Go, yes. They are hoarding ammo in droves, trying to manipulate the supply and marking the price up 100%+ in a lot of cases.

More like 300%

ATG has 9mm WWB 100 at 60 bucks........it still 19.97 at Walmart when available..........thats a 300% markup from RETAIL .......i hope Nobody is foolish enough to pay that.........if they are...this will never end. Think about it..........for that kind of money you can buy premium jhp defense ammo........ you can practice with your AR15 cheaper than with your 9mm..........whooooooooaahh.

i think that the panic purchase of every thing from rifle to pistols to ammo to primers is worse than a ban i mean you could get those things illegally if there was a ban but now without one not even the criminals could get bullets lol

Quote Originally Posted by RINGKINGS View Post
    ATG has 9mm WWB 100 at 60 bucks........
    not anymore, they are SOLD OUT!

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoprilshoot View Post
    not anymore, they are SOLD OUT!

sad days. I don't think the zombie invasion is imminent enough for me to pay 60 bones for 100 rnds of 9mm.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I hope it becomes the 'new gold'...I'm sitting on a gold mine...

(My neighbor could be the new Fort Knoxx...)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The only value I can see of keeping various ammunition as a commodity is in the form of "barter." I'd be willing to buy some caliber of ammo in certain amounts for trade for the ammo I needed at that moment. But to buy ammo as a commodity does not seem to be the wisest thing to do under the circumstances.

But that's on my humble opinion!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by RINGKINGS View Post
    ATG has 9mm WWB 100 at 60 bucks........it still 19.97 at Walmart when available..........thats a 300% markup from RETAIL .......i hope Nobody is foolish enough to pay that.........if they are...this will never end. Think about it..........for that kind of money you can buy premium jhp defense ammo........ you can practice with your AR15 cheaper than with your 9mm..........whooooooooaahh.
    What are the options if you can't find it at Walmart, especially if you are a new gun owner and you needed it for self defence? Looking on the recent figures, there are new owners and new permit holders as well, so I don't think most people would want to wait around with a paper weight till they see em at walmart... it's been a long time since I saw any over here (WWB 9mm 100 round value pack, cant find it, if I did I would be very fortunate.)
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

While there may or may not be some "hoarding" by committed gun owners... I believe that you guys have underestimated the many NEW gun owners who decided to buy now and picked up more than what the market expected.

And since they're new... many did not know what a "fair" price is or was.

It will settle. But do not assume that this is all the "old timers" and what worries me is with this new group... how many actually know/understand gun safety. All of this can be used by those who want to control guns.
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links