Defensive Carry banner

.327 federal mag

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Landric 
#1 ·
Has anyone got one of these yet? I just finished reading a article about the 327 mag. They tested the 327 in a SP101 3" barrel at 1308 fps @ 431 ft lbs. These ballistics beat the .357 mag hands down and destroyed the .38 +p. all at 20% less re-coil than the 357.
If this article is accurate this would be a perfect round for a revolver for a woman. Heck, this would be a perfect round for anyone. But I have never seen any .327 ammo in my area. Has anyone shot a SP101 in 327????

#2 ·
Lots of discussion on this round online. Use your search feature.

My personal opinion is that the .327 mag. is a solution to a non-existent problem. You get a .32 hole vs. a .36 for the .38 spl. A good .38+p will give 12" in gel. and drill a wider hole doing it than the .327. It kicks about the same, is less noisy, ammo is cheaper, and ammo is a lot more plentiful with a lot more choices of bullets.

Foot pounds of energy don't mean much really, as long as you are going deep enough to do the required damage to the nervous system and the perminent wound chanel is wide enough to cause bleeding and scrape something vital on the way in and when it arrives where it is going.

How deep do you want to drill your holes? Don't both rounds end up at the back of the average body? Don't both rounds expand to their full mushroom potential? Isn't the finished perminent wound cavity wider with the 38?

Would you rather be drilled to a depth of 12" with a fast moving pencil or a slow moving closet dowel?

A hot .357 blows the .327 away and even a low powered .357 is superior to it for the above reasons IMO. But one need not even get into discussions about the .357 to find that the standard round is superior and all that is needed.

To top it off - a .38 spl. can perform well with a 2" barrel. The .327 really needs a longer barrel to compete with it.

#3 ·
The SP 101 .327 with stock grips can be a beast to shoot for some, with a hogue monogrip it is much better. Still not a gun for many women, unless one uses .32 H&R Mag.
accuracy is good to 15 yds and good to 25 yds with .32 S&W long.
Having made that statement, I would guess if one worked at it; all loadings would be accurate in it.
I have seen some .327 ammo offered on the web.
I have had the .327 out penetrate .38spl+p and .357 125 gr in some tests.
The .327 will expand to .5".

#4 ·
I have a Taurus 327 2" in .327 Fed Mag. I haven't managed to scoop up any .327 ammunition for it yet (of course what I really want is for Starline to make brass for it). I got it mostly to play with.

I've shot .32S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum in it. Its tame with .32H&R and about like shooting a .22LR revolver with .32S&WL. Its quite versatile when it comes to ammunition selection, as one can shoot .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum, and .327 Federal Magnum. .32ACP chambers in the revolver, but I haven't tried shooting it.

It will be interesting to see how it feels with the .327 ammo if I run across any. I'm not really that concerned, but I would like some brass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.