remington golden saber 165gr HPJ

This is a discussion on remington golden saber 165gr HPJ within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry these in my mp 40 4.25 barrel. do you think these are a pretty good round for carry....

I currently carry these in my mp 40 4.25 barrel. do you think these are a pretty good round for carry.

YES!

Absolutely! That's exactly what I carry in my Sig. If you find some more of it, buy me a couple of boxes. It's hard to find and I'm running low.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

If you do "Your Part" they'll theirs just fine. Just make sure they function in your gun. Should put 100 - 200 rounds through to test functionality. Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Corbon DPX, and others are all good too.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

I always thought they were pretty good from what i have read. also test have shown they expand real well.. i haven't put 100-200.. never could afford that.. but one might say thats a small price to pay to save your life!

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I carry the Golden Saber 180 gr in my G 27. It's what the local PD carries in their G 22's.

yeah i knew it was a good round but i like the opinion of fellow shooters.. I think it has a 94% one shot stop rating in 165gr.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Much has changed since that 94% figure was established, and published by Marshall/Sanow. I am not saying there is anything wrong with 165-grain Golden Saber, and I used to be able to buy it by the case, so it was my duty/carry load for quite a while. That source has dried up. I am now better able to obtain Gold Dots, and the days of buying by the case are over, at least for now.

If you can't afford to run 200+ rouinds of your chosen carry load through your weapon, at least run a minimum of one full magazine through it, with EACH of your carry magazines.

If you can't afford to run 200+ rouinds of your chosen carry load through your weapon, at least run a minimum of one full magazine through it, with EACH of your carry magazines.
    Hey Mr. Rexster, in some guns that is 200+ rounds.

Glock 19 + 15 magazines = 15*18 = 205 Rounds.

I've got mags from before the ban, during the ban and after the ban. I use them all.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Oh, yes, BikerRN, I know what you mean! I have 10+ mags for my five P229s, not counting my training magazines, and one is an SCT 14-rounder. Can you imagine how much it would cost to verify functioning for a new load, if I want all of my pistols to be able to use any magazine?

Actually, I found a source of relatively inexpensive Gold Dots at an LE distributor, but they limit purchases of duty/carry handgun ammo to 100 rounds in a 30-day period. Yes, their computer keeps up with it! The good thing is, they HAVE the ammo to sell, when nobody else does, or is price-gouging if they do.

That's why we should pick certain rounds to carry and stick to them. I know that's hard these days with the shortage. Sure it's easier to just pick up something off the shelf of the local gun store. (Remember, the right thing to do is rarely the easy thing to do.) But this procedure can be a matter of life or death. If you truly can't afford to fully test your new choice then maybe you need to continue to carry your previous choice until you can.

I keep a constant vigil watching the internet and all the local stores in order to just have a minimum amount of ammo in .45, .40, 9mm, and 12ga buckshot. (My wife says I already have enough but that's another thread. ) Actually I'm setup now for all except .40 S&W. I've tested 180gr Hydra-Shok and just received several boxes of 180gr Gold Dots from ATG and will test those this weekend. As soon as I can get my hands on Federal 180gr HST I want to test that too.

I know in this economy money can be as scarce as ammo, so I'm not going to tell you what you have to do. I just care about all our safety and want us all to get home alive. The purpose here is that we are absolutely sure that if we ever have to use our guns in SD it will go bang every time we pull the trigger.

Sorry to go on about this. I'll get off the soapbox now. To the OP... yes, that's a good round. Stay safe.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump

Congrats on finding an ammo source.

While I think it's important to select good ammo I think too many people worry too much about it, if you know what I mean. I would have no problem carrying a Golden Saber round or a Federal HST round, or a Gold Dot load for that matter.

They will all get the job done, and the "One Shot Stop" was never meant to be a technique, but rather a measure of quanitative analysis. I do admit to falling victim to this myself though to a degree. My favorite load over all handgun loads is the 125 Grain "King of the Street" of which you are familiar with.

Take care and stay safe bro'.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Congrats on finding an ammo source.

While I think it's important to select good ammo I think too many people worry too much about it, if you know what I mean. I would have no problem carrying a Golden Saber round or a Federal HST round, or a Gold Dot load for that matter.

They will all get the job done, and the "One Shot Stop" was never meant to be a technique, but rather a measure of quanitative analysis. I do admit to falling victim to this myself though to a degree. My favorite load over all handgun loads is the 125 Grain "King of the Street" of which you are familiar with.

Take care and stay safe bro'.

Biker
    Yes, the important thing is to "Do Your Part"
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    Yes, the important thing is to "Do Your Part"
    theorticially if you do your part the ammo shouldn't matter to some degree

Quote Originally Posted by 40CalSW View Post
    theorticially if you do your part the ammo shouldn't matter to some degree
    Yes, to the degree that you use a good quality hollow point that will expand reliably. I would never advise the use of FMJ for self defense. (Unless that's all you have, sorry NJ) Or cheap JHP that won't expand.

Of course shot placement is the primary concern. Then using a good JHP. Followed be the ability to deliver followup shots. All while employing proper tactics like finding protective cover. Etc. It's all part of the package. Some may argue the order of 2,3 & 4, that's cool, so long as they're considered.

Of course this is an oversimplification but you get the idea.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Links