380 ACP vs 38 Special? - Page 3

380 ACP vs 38 Special?

This is a discussion on 380 ACP vs 38 Special? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "IMO; it's stupid and counter-productive to engage in such arguments. (Can someone explain to me how this helps in our fight for 2nd ammendment rights ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 380 ACP vs 38 Special?

"IMO; it's stupid and counter-productive to engage in such arguments.
    (Can someone explain to me how this helps in our fight for 2nd ammendment rights against anti-gunners?)

Believe me the A.G's love us engaging in such "TRIVIAL" pursuits."

Well then, by all means let's not discuss or debate anything! Wouldn't want to engage in any frank, thoughtful firearms discussions lest our Second Amendment rights be snatched while we aren't looking. Let's just have a simple mawkish, feel-good forum where "it's all good," opinions receive no consideration, nothing meaningful is offered or discussed, and no one offers any insight on questions asked.

Then you will have triviality on your forum.

A forum cartridge discussion is absolutely not divisive unless one is of a nature to have his little feelings prominently installed on his sleeve. Mature folks understand this when they defend their Second Amendment rights and a forum cartridge discussion is not going to derail their gun rights focus.

I don't have a quarrel with ".380 or .38 Special," or .25 ACP for that matter. I offer my opinion based on my own observations. "Ya' pays ya' money and ya' takes ya' chances" with regards to which data is believed and which cartridge is chosen.

I do have a quarrel however with preachy types making a mountain out of a molehill.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Amen Brother,
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

I don't care what it is, 22lr, or .45 ACP I don't want to get shot with any of it! I think a few gut shots from any caliber handgun is going to ruin your day.

Carry what you train and you are comfortable with.

Be Safe,

NosaM

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NosaMSirhC View Post
    I don't care what it is, 22lr, or .45 ACP I don't want to get shot with any of it! I think a few gut shots from any caliber handgun is going to ruin your day.

Carry what you train and you are comfortable with.

Be Safe,

NosaM

Damned Straight!!

I've had a 22lr revolver save my ^$$ twice, a 410ca Dbl save me TWICE and my 380acp once.
    My wife had her 38sp save her butt once.

"Debate" all you want.

I've just seen "debates" on such topics turn into "heated discussions" then turn into "arguments"
    When this happens it just gives fuel to the AG's argument that gun owners are unreasonable and difficult people to get along with; therefore MORE REGULATION is needed pertaining to gun ownership.

To me the people who engage "holier than thou" arguments on such trivial topics just look stupid to the rest of the world.

AND--

IMO; people who belittle others who simply make an observation are A$$H^LES!!
    Last edited by tcox4freedom; May 15th, 2009 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chroode View Post
    Actually if you look at this web site you will see that your snubby magnum is not doing much better in velocity than a standard size .380

Ballistics by the inch - .357 magnum

Ballistics by the inch - .380 ACP
    But the muzzle blast and noise of a 357 snubby will also act as a flash bang grenade.

Michael

And never use any 147 grain bullet in any caliber. They are cursed.
    I'm afraid I have to take exception that statement. Yeah, it had trouble once but... I like the Federal HST 147gr in 9mm.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

I will say its almost like the classic .45acp vs 9mm battle, heavy slow bullet or fast light bullet. I personally prefer the .380 just cause i like autos better for carrying. But i will tell you as i have said many times on this forum before. The
    .380 is an underated rnd. The standard .380 FMJ from a 3 in barrel creates more muzzle energy then the Navy cap and ball revolver used by Wild bill Hickock, and he stopped many of men with that round!
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

M2
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Damned Straight!!

I've had a 22lr revolver save my ^$$ twice, a 410ca Dbl save me TWICE and my 380acp once.
    My wife had her 38sp save her butt once.

"Debate" all you want.

I've just seen "debates" on such topics turn into "heated discussions" then turn into "arguments"
    When this happens it just gives fuel to the AG's argument that gun owners are unreasonable and difficult people to get along with; therefore MORE REGULATION is needed pertaining to gun ownership.

To me the people who engage "holier than thou" arguments on such trivial topics just look stupid to the rest of the world.

AND--

IMO; people who belittle others who simply make an observation are A$$H^LES!!
    1) You really need to move someplace safer.

2) You are doing exactly what you are condemning others of doing.

3) Lighten up, Francis.

The reality is that probably fewer than 1 out of 100 of us will ever fire our weapon in a self-defense situation. Most of us are not LEO's.

If we do have to defend ourselves, there is a very high probability that EITHER a .380 or a .38 Special will be adequate. Worrying about the difference, or trying to determine what bullet s BEST, seems to me to be a waste of time and keystrokes.

At different times, I carry a KEL-TEC p-32, a Walther .380 PPKS, or a .38 Special S&W. I feel safe with any one of these.

gold40

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links