357 125gr. jsn vs. 158gr. fmj - Page 2

357 125gr. jsn vs. 158gr. fmj

This is a discussion on 357 125gr. jsn vs. 158gr. fmj within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Biker; No fight desired here. I don't carry the .357 Magnum for self defense. I like to use the cartridge in larger revolvers with ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi Biker;

No fight desired here. I don't carry the .357 Magnum for self defense. I like to use the cartridge in larger revolvers with heavy hand loads. The grand old magnum cartridge handles heavier bullets with velocity to spare. I'll leave the 125 grain weights for the 9mm and such.

It just seems that the "125 grain load" in .357 Magnum has taken on a life of its own, both in print and on forums. Despite its reputation and the "tests" published, I remain ambivalent about whether bullets of that particular weight are anything "extra special" within the already fine performance capabilities of the .357 Magnum.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I would use the JHP on a thinner skinned animal such as that.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hi Biker;

No fight desired here. I don't carry the .357 Magnum for self defense. I like to use the cartridge in larger revolvers with heavy hand loads. The grand old magnum cartridge handles heavier bullets with velocity to spare. I'll leave the 125 grain weights for the 9mm and such.

It just seems that the "125 grain load" in .357 Magnum has taken on a life of its own, both in print and on forums. Despite its reputation and the "tests" published, I remain ambivalent about whether bullets of that particular weight are anything "extra special" within the already fine performance capabilities of the .357 Magnum.
    Howdy bmc.

I'm not looking for no fight either.

I will use a 180 Grain .357 Magnum load for Black Bear, and the cartridge has taken every Big Game Animal in North America. It is a little "light" IMO, but it can be done. I like the .357 magnum for it's versatility, even in store bought loads.

As for how it works on the street, it's still the caliber that all others are compared to, when using the 125 Grain JHP. No matter which "formula" you use, it seems to come out on top, or pretty close to it. My .357 Magnum 125 JHP's give me 625 ft/lbs of energy. It's rated at 98% for "One Shot Stops" and everyone I know that has used the load against felons in real life has been happy with the results.

Sometimes we can't determine or explain why something works, we just know it does. For me, I learned a long time ago that the load works, and the Texas DPS loved it so much they referred to it as the "Lightning Bolt Round".

So, to make a short story longer, I guess for me it just comes down to, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's how I feel about the .357 Magnum 125 Grain JHP/SJHP load. I can't tell you why, I just know it works. That's good enough for me.

Granted, there have been times when every round has failed, even with good hits. That is why a hit with a 38 beats a miss or a "marginal" hit with the Lightning Bolt. It just seems that there are less failures with this load than any other from what I know, which isn't much.

Any load that I would use on a human aggressor would be, IMHO, enough for a cougar. That includes the 9mm/38 Special. For those that don't want to work up loads, or be a ballistician, it seems that the .357 magnum gives about the widest range of loads for the most uses of any caliber out there. Did I mention I like it's versatility?

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links