Winchester 30-30..?

Winchester 30-30..?

This is a discussion on Winchester 30-30..? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering buying a Winchester 30-30. I've never fired one. My question is, what is the re-coil like compared to a .357 lever rifle? Thanks....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winchester 30-30..?

I'm considering buying a Winchester 30-30. I've never fired one. My question is, what is the re-coil like compared to a .357 lever rifle? Thanks.

i have a marlin .357 lever and a 30-30 lever made by marlin as well. the recoil is considerably more. nothing a strong shoulder or some padding can't take care of but there is a sizable difference to me

I've never shot a .357 lever action, but the recoil of the .30-30 is nothing to write home about. It can be mild to moderate, but its not excessive.

I recently loaded up some light .30-30 handloads using IMR Trail Boss and a 165 grain cast bullet. They only chronographed at about 1150 fps out of a Marlin 20" 336 (as I said, light loads), recoil was about like shooting a .22LR rifle. I also used some H4198 with the same lead bullets. They were good for about 1500fps and only had slightly more recoil. I've shot plenty of factory ammo in the 2000fps range, none of it had much more recoil than my 4198 loads.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Administrator
    It's a nice multi-purpose classic rifle and unless you have a preexisting shoulder or neck medical condition...you should have absolutely no problems with a Winchester 30/30.

I have 357 and 30-30 carbines. The 30-30 has more recoil but it's not bad at all.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    the .30-30 is a classic cartridge and is not bad in the recoil dept. at all....most of the rifles for it are very light.....but it is manageable.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

I have a new Marlin 30-30, and I've had other 30-30's for many years. It is not like a high powered rifle, just don't rest it on something to shoot while looking through the scope......ouch!
    The 30-30 is a great brush gun...I've chosen it over my AR for 'personal homeland' security.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    My hunting buddies 11 year old kid shoots a 30-30 with no problems. 11 year old.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I have two Winchester trappers, one in 30-30 and one in .357. A full size levergun with have less kick than these little trappers. My Marlin 30-30 has very little recoil at all.

If you have shot a lever carbine in .44 mag, the 30-30 kicks about like that. Neither the 30-30 or .357 has enough recoil to worry about in my opinion, and I'm someone who does not like heavy recoil.

As to the actual recoil in ft. lbs. the 30-30 is more powerful, so folks are correct when they tell you that, but I can tell you how I percieve it.

As for the Winchesters, I'd actually say that the 30-30 feels lighter than the .357 to me even though it's not.(ok, I'm wierd I know) The .357 seems to have a sharp-fast recoil, whereas the 30-30 is more of a push. I tend to like push better. That's why I prefer the .45acp over the .40 S&W. But, like I said, neither is worth worrying over. The 30-30 is a soft shooting cartridge, even with 170gr bullets IMO.

I have fired 30-40 rounds out of both the 30-30 and .357 at the range in one sitting with no trouble.

as a comparison, on saturday I fired 25 rounds of .308 and 30 rounds of 30-06 and my shoulder is just now getting back to normal, where I can not feel the bruising. That won't happen with the 30-30. I would compare the 30-30 closely with the recoil of a 20ga shotgun with a good heavy trap load in anythng other than an autoloader. Definately less than a heavy load in a 12ga pump, sxs, or over and under. Not sure if any of this helps, depending on your experience or frame of reference.

Here are some links to some recoil tables. Perhaps you can find something you are familiar with and make a comparision that way.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forestranger View Post
    I have 357 and 30-30 carbines. The 30-30 has more recoil but it's not bad at all.
    What he said.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I bought a Winchester 94 30-30 the other day. It was owned by a collector, manufactured in 1967, nickle plated, never used. I love it!

jfl
    The lighter models will have a sharper (not stronger) recoil than heavier ones; nothing drastic though.

And, the recoil is only in the mind of the shooter; my 115 lbs wife shoots 2" groups at 100yds with my .300 Win. Mag.

The .30-30 Winchester is truly a classic; before I got a Mossberg 12 ga. for Christmas, the .30-30 was my choice HD weapon.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I don't feel any kick when shooting a .357 in my Marlin Cowboy lever action. You will feel it when shooting a 30-30 Winchester, but "moderate " is a good word.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I don't feel any kick when shooting a .357 in my Marlin Cowboy lever action. You will feel it when shooting a 30-30 Winchester, but "moderate " is a good word.
    That's a pretty good assessment. Though mine was the standard steel buttplate, I remember several that had recoil pads installed which took any bite out of the equation. I think today I would buy the Marlin.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

Who makes a re-coil pad for the 94 Winny? What size is the buttplate? This would be good if my wife wants to do some range shooting with it. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links