Best .40 defensive load?

This is a discussion on Best .40 defensive load? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Higher grains = more lead to spread. I like 180 grains because the recoil isn't as snappy as lesser grains, so it feels easier (for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best .40 defensive load?

Higher grains = more lead to spread.

I like 180 grains because the recoil isn't as snappy as lesser grains, so it feels easier (for me) to do accurate follow up shots. It's noticeable enough for me to make the change. Your experience may vary.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MtJerry View Post
    A quaility hollow-point ... I prefer 180gr.
    I'm going with this one because there are many quality hollow-points to choose from.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Quote Originally Posted by 1boredguy View Post
    Higher grains = more lead to spread.

or not spread in many cases.

I currently carry 165 Gold-Dot because I can't find WW-155 Silver tips. I had a documented report (lost it some where) that the WW round had the most proven "one shot stops". This info was mostly from LEO (city, state & fed) so it may be just because it was the round at hand but as I recall it was close to 50%. The Gold-Dot has a great rep so I went with it.

I load Speer Gold Dot 165 gr.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Currently, the wife and I are using cor-bon pow'rball 135 grain in our carry guns.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

If you really do your research...

You will find that 135gr is the most effective.

Recommendations from me would be as follows:

#1 Cor-Bon Sierra 135gr JHP
    #2 Triton Hi-VEL 135gr JHP
    #3 Winchester Silvertip 155gr JHP

I just found this website that I am looking into. The specs for their ammo sounds amazing. Much better than any round I have seen.

RBCD Performance Plus, Inc. Ammunition some amazing looking figures on fps and energy.

also, Doubletapammo Shop has been rated pretty highly. I have asked about that on this forum and received great response.
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR
    SIG P250 Full Size and SC 9mm

VIP Member
    I carry the RBCD in my XD40sc, followed by hydro-shoks in the 135gr flavor. My back up mag is all hydro-shoks.

I haven't been able to find the powerball ammo here, was interested in it, when I found the RBCD.

You only require two things.

1. it shoots reliably (imagine hearing a click when you needed a bang).
    2. YOU shoot it accurately ("stops" happen ONLY when you place the bullets where they need to go so they can do their job).

Pretty much everything else is an opinion...

To see if it's good look for how it answer either or both items above.
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

I carry a Hornady, 155gr JHP, it works for me.

dont trust those "one shot stops"

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I currently carry 165 Gold-Dot because I can't find WW-155 Silver tips. I had a documented report (lost it some where) that the WW round had the most proven "one shot stops". This info was mostly from LEO (city, state & fed) so it may be just because it was the round at hand but as I recall it was close to 50%. The Gold-Dot has a great rep so I went with it.
    Dont know if I would select an ammunition on a "one shot stops" report when many defensive shooting schools (mine is Front Sight) espouses two to the thoracic cavity and one to the ocular cavity should a "failure to stop" occur, but I too carry the 165gdhp.
    The US Marine's aren't a branch of the US Military, they're a Religion unto themselves

"The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    There's no such thing as a one shot stop when you double tap!

I've heard so much on "Stopping Power" that is conflicting that I feel you just have to go with your gut instincts for carry ammo. Just keep practicing so you will put the shots where they need to be and any good quality HP ammo will do the rest.
    Last edited by johnsonabq; May 25th, 2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: To clarify
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I currently carry the Federal LE HST in 165 gr. I prefer the 155 or 165 grain loads as I don't plan on having to shoot my defensive pistol at a target more than 100 yds. away (the distance where a 180 has more energy than a 165) and the 155 & 165 provide plenty of penetration while producing 15%-20% more muzzle energy than a 180 gr. load.

All that said, if I didn't have a decent supply of the LE HST on hand, right now I'd carry any decent hollow point that I could find available.

Hoss
    i go along w/cvhoss
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I currently carry the Federal LE HST in 165 gr. I prefer the 155 or 165 grain loads as I don't plan on having to shoot my defensive pistol at a target more than 100 yds. away
    Hoss
    Who does??

I would think a distinquished member like your self would know that it's common knowledge, that most defensive shots occur at about 5-10ft and that penetration is not the rationale for the shot. Correct me if I'm wrong but the primary reason of shooting someone who has the intention of bringing you grave harm or possibly death is to knock them down with the gunshot. Which means expansion and weight of the round is the key to doing so.

The fact that they bleed profusely from the penetration is a side effect that keeps them incapacitated while you escape or call for law enforcement which is not as fast as your rounds.

As for expansion, I have not seen any better than this one.
    Yea it's a little more harsh than others but lethal force (only when necessary) is not a game of patty-cake.

.40 S&W Winchester 180gr Ranger SXT JHP (Glock 27)

When I had my Glock 23, I really liked the Winchester Ranger series. I usually had the 155 gr JHP.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links