Holy Cow!!! Just Found This Ammo

This is a discussion on Holy Cow!!! Just Found This Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; RBCD Performance Plus, Inc. Ammunition look at the performance specs! has anyone used this? it seems incredible. or, i guess it could blow my gun ...

Thread: Holy Cow!!! Just Found This Ammo

RBCD Performance Plus, Inc. Ammunition

look at the performance specs! has anyone used this? it seems incredible. or, i guess it could blow my gun and possibly hand up.
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR
    SIG P250 Full Size and SC 9mm

jfl
    Sound too good to be true, unless shot with a 18" barrel ...

Also note the bullet weight is very light, increasing velocity; since the energy is proportional to the square of the velocity, high velocities produce artificially high energies. A 41% increase in velocity doubles the energy !!!

However we all know that energy is not everything ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    I use them in my all of my snubbies, they don't over penetrate. If the first cylinder full doesn't put the BG down, I have a speedloader and a speed strip load with Hornady critical defense for my .38 spcl's and two speed loaders with federal 125gr personal defense for my model 66-1 .357. I started off carrying the first four rounds in my XD40sc followed by hydro-shoks before using it in my revovlers, I didn't start carrying the revolvers until a year ago. One of the local shops has been carrying it for a while now, stuff is expensive though.

I read somewhere that a few contractors were using the .223 or 5.56 in Irag or Afghanistan to good effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Some1Any1 View Post
    look at the performance specs! has anyone used this? it seems incredible.
    Honestly, I don't seem anything incredible. They're loading very light bullets, which gives high velocities. There are other companies that have sold similar loads in the past. It makes the numbers look very impressive from an energy standpoint, but it doesn't translate into actual effectiveness on a live target.

Good frangible ammo. I've shot their 45 ACP, 357 SIG, and 9 mm stuff out of Glocks and Kahrs for several years. Not my first choice for SD but fun to mess around with. The 357 SIG has such high muzzle velocity that it sounds like a rifle shot. Folks backed up and came over to see what I was shooting. Don't know how a prosecutor would look at shooting someone with this stuff and don't plan on finding out. FWIW, I gave a box to a bud who shot some through the door of a '57 Chevy wreck in his back 40. Went right through the heavy sheet metal and exploded in the wet seatback. Blew the seatback to pieces. Makes sense.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

No thanks. I'll keep my "traditional weight" bullets.

Yes, a significant reduction in projectile weight, at the same pressure, makes for a high speed, high energy round. Nothing new there. But, then you also have to deal with the shift in point of impact and the availability of enough of the ammo (including the cost) to train fairly regularly. And then there is the question of consistent penetration. Expansion and energy are great tools to stop a bad guy, but not nearly as consistent as penetration.

My 45s both shoot pretty well with 185 to 230 grain bullets. both are pretty well documented to stop bad guys that intend to harm, especially the 230s. Stick with what works, is the policy I've adopted...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

I was on a forum a while back a 10mm VS .45 ACP and someone there was very understating the power of the ACP and it's max velocity, I am going to try and find it and post this is some fast ammo!!!

45 ACP 90 gr. TFSP 2036 fps / 828 flbs
    45 ACP 115 gr. TFSP 1650 fps / 700 flbs
    45 ACP TPD 80 gr. TPD 2375 fps / 1002 flbs

I would love to see this round tested by the boys at the "Box O Truth"

I found out I had a local dealer N gave him a call, at about $45.00 for a box of 20 not a cheap round. The dealer described it as a fragmentable SD round that would not penetrate drywall, but on say human tissue was twice as effective as a hydra shock... I may stop by for a look....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Looking at the gelatin performances it appears that most calibers tend to under penetrate by what I'd normally consider to be minimum self-defense standards.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I think the major contributing factor for the success of the 45ACP is the momentum, which in the end, shows itself in penetration. Seriously, an 800 to 900 fps projectile is about all we are talking about here. Yes, some people can hot rod the 45ACP in 230 grains up to 1000 fps, but most are at or below 900.

Momentum is what carries a bullet through tissue. Momentum is an objects ability to remain in motion or remain stationary until acted upon by an outside force. More mass equals more momentum.

Energy is the work done. Velocity has more of an impact there than mass.

It's as old of an argument as Ford versus Chevy or Tastes great versus Less filling...

I have moved back and forth between sides. I used to think energy was the end all, be all. Now I'm more of a momentum guy. I prefer the 45ACP with 185 grain or heavier rounds. If you want a screaming fast 115 grain bullet, buy a 357 Sig. It will actually penetrate more than this 45APC 115 grain, as it has less frontal area to cause drag after impact on tissue.

There are lots of companies that are making these low weight high velocity rounds. They are all trying to take market share from the tried and true designs.

Think of it this way. If you were going to hunt a Rhino or an Elephant at close (and life threatening) range, what loading would you choose? A screaming hot 150 grain 300 Win Mag, or a (comparatively) lunking along 500 grain 458 Win Mag? Why should the logic when faced with a human threat be different? Big and slow is the way to go...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Links