What kind of Hollow point?

This is a discussion on What kind of Hollow point? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just wondering i'm currently carrying Hornady40cal. 155gr JHP, what kind of hollow points or ammo in general would be best of more dependable ...

Thread: What kind of Hollow point?

What kind of Hollow point?

I was just wondering i'm currently carrying Hornady40cal. 155gr JHP, what kind of hollow points or ammo in general would be best of more dependable to carry? Should i get something fancy or just keep it simple?

2. Remove Ads

Our favorite is Federal's HST
    Perfect expansion in both our 9mm & .45 calibers every time no matter which gun (barrel length) we shoot them out of
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

As long as it is quality ammo, you're good to go. I've carried both Hornady XTPs and Speer Gold Dots. Both reliable methods of delivering quality expanding bullets!

Keep it simple.

Find something that reliably functions in your handgun and provides 12" to 14" of penetration.

For personal protection, avoid "specialty" and "gimmick" ammo such as "safety slugs" and similarly constructed types.

Randy

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Big fan of Federal HydraShok. Speer Gold Dots run very close. Corbon DPX or PowRBall is another favorite. Maybe a tie all the way across.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

if ur gun has been feeding fine and reliable with the Hornady, stick with them. The are a good SD round and already proven in your gun.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I carry the same ammo as our local police dept, Remington Golden Saber. If it's good enough for our local PD, it's good enough for me.

MLC
    i'm lucky, my p250 eats everything i've tried through it. hst's, ranger t's, gold dots and all the hornady stuff have functioned flawlessly so i carry which ever one of those i have at the moment. go with what you habe tested and is most reliable.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamcop84 View Post
    I was just wondering i'm currently carrying Hornady40cal. 155gr JHP, what kind of hollow points or ammo in general would be best of more dependable to carry? Should i get something fancy or just keep it simple?
    I mainly shoot ball nosed target rounds. at the ranges. I do keep My PPS and P22 loaded with Winchester Xpert HV. I buy in bulk 500 round box quantity.

For my Sig's I usually try to shoot the best I can find but it is usually CCI Blaser Brass Ball nose. 115 grain.

For self defence hollow point;
    Lately, I have been impressed with Winchester Bonded PDX1 for 9mm,
    .40. (.357 Sig and .45 ACP is not yet available).
    There are two types for 9MM luger. Type 9mm+P #SGMMPDB, 124 grains and # SGMMPDB1 147 grain. +P ammo is high pressure so check with your gun manufacture first if your pistol is compatible with high pressure rounds. Especially check first before You use 147 grain 9MM. This stuff is like dynamite in a small package.

Here is just another persons opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

>>Anonymous:
    Bullets that expand utilize their energy more effectively. According to my own experience, they increase the effectiveness of your defensive handgun between 15% and 60% over standard ball ammo.

I would point out that most experts in the field would say that penetration is the primary consideration with expansion coming in second in terms of bullet "effectiveness". One of the best sources I've found on the study is a 1989 FBI report on bullet effectiveness: http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

The basic gist is that bullet expansion is nice but cannot be counted on, a penetration depth of 12 inches minimum is a more important consideration in effectively disabling assailants.

With that in mind, in smaller caliber chamberings, hollow points may actually be less effective than ball ammo because they may not achieve adequate penetration to reach the vital organs. Basically, in any chambering of lower power than 9mm luger, I would say that ball ammo is probably a better choice than hollow point unless a particular loading can be demonstrated to achieve the requisite penetration.

Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2007 11:08 PM

Posted on March 25, 2007 23:08<<
    Last edited by SIGP250; May 24th, 2009 at 03:34 AM.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

+1 for keeping it simple. Stick with what works for you.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

I've been carrying Federal Hydrashok in 9mm and now .45 ACP since 1993 when I entered law enforcement. I'm switching to Federal HST based on the last couple months of study from testing, etc. I'm just waiting on my 200 round order to arrive and then I'll be making the move..

b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

Links