good non jhp defense load in 357 magnum

This is a discussion on good non jhp defense load in 357 magnum within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pete00, I glad to be of help. The sad fact is, that since the advent of commonly available, reliably expanding, jacketed bullets. Both hollow point ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: good non jhp defense load in 357 magnum

Pete00, I glad to be of help.
    The sad fact is, that since the advent of commonly available, reliably expanding, jacketed bullets. Both hollow point and soft nose. We have lost a lot of info on the qualities of cast bullets. Sites like Castboolits brings that knowlege back to life.

Now to your specific issues, in the .357 magnum, a cast bullet can be driven very fast compared to its jacketed counter point. A 158gr jacketed bullet from a 4" bbl is going to make 1200 to 1275 fps. It's lead counter point can easily make 1300 to 1375 for the same pressure. The lead bullets friction is much less than the copper jacket.

Alliant 2400 is a good medium to maximum .357 mag powder. Regular or mag primers make it work.
    H-110 or WW296 use only mag primers and should only be used at max levels.

Goodluck and enjoy the new revolver.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
    In the meantime I have baught my Ruger. I have already tried it at the range and it is an great sixgun.

ps: What do you think about the 158 grain remington softpoint load? Will an sp bullet work for sd? I will use the corbon dpx as my primery defense load, but these stuff is not available yet. In august it should be available in austria.
    The Remington 158 Grain Semi-Jacketed Soft Point is an excellent choice. I have used that same bullet design in my 44 mag. handgun hunting loads and it performs extremely well. Given your limitations, I think this would be your best choice.

Federal also makes ammunition which is the same design, depending on what may be easier to find in your location.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Hamour View Post
    Pete00, I glad to be of help.
    The sad fact is, that since the advent of commonly available, reliably expanding, jacketed bullets. Both hollow point and soft nose. We have lost a lot of info on the qualities of cast bullets. Sites like Castboolits brings that knowlege back to life.

Now to your specific issues, in the .357 magnum, a cast bullet can be driven very fast compared to its jacketed counter point. A 158gr jacketed bullet from a 4" bbl is going to make 1200 to 1275 fps. It's lead counter point can easily make 1300 to 1375 for the same pressure. The lead bullets friction is much less than the copper jacket.

Alliant 2400 is a good medium to maximum .357 mag powder. Regular or mag primers make it work.
    H-110 or WW296 use only mag primers and should only be used at max levels.

Goodluck and enjoy the new revolver.

Thx for the the great advices. As I am a newbie am very greatfull for every tipp I can get concering reloading.

@cvhoss Thx for the links. I think it would be no problem to get the ferderal load too. But the remington load would be a bit cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Cor-Bon loads the all-copper Barnes bullets in their DPX line. They're excellent rounds and my usual carry ammo.
    +1 I agree.

Also, if it's JHP's that are illegal, what about using a semi-jacketed hollow-point?

Granted, we may be splitting hairs here, and it may not be worth the potential trouble. I do like the Barnes bullets, for what it's worth. That's what Corbon is using, as already noted, in their DPX line of bullets. If I could get a decent supply of them, and they came in 50 Round boxes, I'd order a case per caliber for every defensive gun I own.

Biker

@Biker I must admit I haven't checked out if sjhp would be prohibited or not. But that's not necessary. I will buy some 158 grain jsp loads for sd, and then in august if I can get the dpx line I will buy them.

ps: Would be an 357 mag sjhp load in an sd situation more effectiv than an jsp round?

Quote Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
    @Biker I must admit I haven't checked out if sjhp would be prohibited or not. But that's not necessary. I will buy some 158 grain jsp loads for sd, and then in august if I can get the dpx line I will buy them.

ps: Would be an 357 mag sjhp load in an sd situation more effectiv than an jsp round?
    pete,

I would caution you to NOT use JSP loads, as that is a hunting load and has been proven to be too over-penetrative against bi-pedal aggressors.

Against bi-pedal aggressors the JHP or SJHP rounds have been proven to work the best in the 125 Grain weight usually. Even the 158 grain loads in a JHP tend to be over-penatrative.

There are some "specialty" rounds, like Glaser Safety Slugs, that may be applicable to your situation. The problem I have with them is they don't always give the penetration needed, especially through intermediate barriers and such, like a jacket.

Biker

Pete00, I use the remington SJ soft nose as a general purpose round for my carbine and revolvers in .357. It is a great bullet for varied circumstances.

The SJ hollow point is a great bullet also, but any advantage it has is not worth the risk of breaking the law in a self defense situation.

Try not to get stuck on the "Best" load. The .357 has no "Bad" self defense loads!

The SJ soft nose has a great flat meplate (nose) and this makes it effective even if it does not expand. It will also give better penetration than the hollow points. In the carbines the speed is 500 fps or so faster and the soft nose will give better performance.

Trust that .357 with what ever full power load you have to put in it. Centermass hit will cause the target to have other things to do than to continue to mess with you.

I have killed deer and hogs with my handguns, to get a noticable difference in killing power I have to change caliber not bullet style. The .41 and .44 magnums are a quantum leap in killing power, but recoil and weapon weight are the price. The .357 seems to give good power, acceptable recoil and weapon weight.

Take care

Thx for your advice biker . I am aware that an 158 grain 357 mag will went through an attacker with ease. But thats not a big problem as i live alone. Speciality rounds like the glaser safty slug or masafe would be available but they are not very cheap. And as you have already said the might not penetrate enough. I will check if sjhps are allowed if not using an cast bullet or an 38 special swc round would be another good choice until I can get the dpx rounds. But as I have already said I live alone so overpenetration ist not a big concern. The walls of my apartment are very thick.

ps: Which factory sjhp loads would be available?

@Hamour Thx for the further information I will do that.

ps: Which factory sjhp loads would be available?
    I've always been a fan of the Remington 125 Grain SJHP.

That load, and the Federal 357B load were the two loads that gave the .357 Magnum it's moniker, "King of the Street".

Biker

@BikerRN I see. Thx for the quick answer.

I have done some further investigations and it would be possible to use sjhp rounds. I will try to get the federal rounds. And I wasn't up do date concering the anti jhp law. Since 2008 it possible to buy normal jhp rounds with a special permition.

If I can get the permition I will try to buy some winchester silvertipps as my primery defense load, because they are quite cheap, according to an buddy.
    What do you think about the winchester silivertipp rounds?
    Last edited by pete00; July 2nd, 2009 at 01:01 PM.

I use them now and I am very happy with them. A few nights ago I shot some ferrel hogs that were making a mess of our water troughs. Shot 2 dead with 2 shots. Nice entry and it did exit, but the bullet was about 3 feet on the other side of the dead hogs. The shot was at 15yards in the neck. I was very pleased with the silvertips.

Quote Originally Posted by llred View Post
    I use them now and I am very happy with them. A few nights ago I shot some ferrel hogs that were making a mess of our water troughs. Shot 2 dead with 2 shots. Nice entry and it did exit, but the bullet was about 3 feet on the other side of the dead hogs. The shot was at 15yards in the neck. I was very pleased with the silvertips.

I see thx for the infos. I think I will be also happy with silver points if I can get the special permition to use the "evil" jhps. The Silvertipps would also be the cheapest jhp rounds obtainalble here in austria. It also be possible to order some golddot rounds but they are way to expensive for my budget.

I have to dig out my old post again because I've got an new ammo question. What do you think about the remington golden saber rounds in 357 magnum? I have seen some at my local gunstore, and they are only bit more expesinve than the silver tipps. Are the golden sabers worth the extra money or should i stick with the silver tipps, ore an traditonal sjhp like 125 grain remington load, which is also obtanable here in austria. Unfurtunatelly the legandary 125 grain federal load ist not available here in austria, but I think the federal and the remington 125 grainers are equal in power..

I like the 158gr JSP for all around use but they do tend to penetrate quite well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links