good non jhp defense load in 357 magnum

This is a discussion on good non jhp defense load in 357 magnum within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will buy soon a Ruger gp 100 in 357 mag for plinking and in case of emergency also for sd. But unfortunately jhps (with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I will buy soon a Ruger gp 100 in 357 mag for plinking and in case of emergency also for sd.
    But unfortunately jhps (with lead core) are prohibited here in Austria. It would be possible to use copper hollow-points and lead hps.

I would be pleased hearing some ammo tips.

If I understand correctly, you could use an unjacketed hollow point, but just not a jacketed, correct?

If that's correct, I'd recommend a 158 grain SWHP (semi-wadcutter hollow point), or some Barnes 125 or 140 grn XPB's (all copper).

Any of these bullets will work admirably for self defense.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Cor-Bon loads the all-copper Barnes bullets in their DPX line. They're excellent rounds and my usual carry ammo.

Ok thx for your tipps.

@Cuda66 Yes you're right According to the current law only jacked hp bullets are prohibited. It would be no problem to get some SWHP rounds.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Cor-Bon loads the all-copper Barnes bullets in their DPX line. They're excellent rounds and my usual carry ammo.
    +1 this is what I was going to suggest. I think many of the major ammo manufactureres are making or developing lead free ammo, but I believe corbon worked with thunder Ranch and developed them first.

VIP Member
    I know a gunsmith that loads all lead 158 gr. wadcutters upside down. He sells allot of them locally for sd. They look pretty nasty.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Thx for the further information. I will try if I can teht the corbon rounds you have mentionted.

ps: Am I not an reloader yet, do you know some factory loaded wadcutter rounds?

And what do you think about pre fragmented rounds like the glaser safty slug or magsafe?
    Last edited by pete00; May 25th, 2009 at 02:18 PM.

As a long term reloader and bullet caster, I favor hard cast bullets for pretty much anything. The "problem" with them is the truly awesome penetration even at moderate velocities. Penetration of 20"+ (50+ cm) in ballistic jello is not a problem for me but might be for you.

That being said, you might want to consider soft lead bullets at 38 Special velocities or some non lead core hollow point. I'd go with the non lead core .357 load and get the magnum SD advantage. But practice, practice a lot to become proficient.

To stop a perpetrator, you have to interrupt the central nervous system, cause significant blood loss or shut down breathing. In order to do any one of those you have to reach the vital organs involved. Pre-fragmented bullets have always proven to be less effective at penetrating deeply enough to do that. Of course other people's opinions are certainly respected; that's just my $.02.
    10mm; when you care enough to send the very best.

MLC
    have you considered EFMJ. i think federal makes one in 357.

edit: i just looked up the federal sight and they dont make one in 38 or 357, sorry.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    What barrel length? Velocity and penetration drops with a shorter barrel. With a long barrel like my 6"GP100, overpentration might be an issue you need to consider. Maybe a .38 spl in standard or +P pressure would be a good alternative.
    And stay away from wad cutters loaded with the tips reversed, that was an old trick tried way back in the 1970's, reloaders tried it hoping they might expand. They didn't and they weren't very accurate to POA either.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was going to recommend... excellent SD round!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thx for the futher infos. I will visit my local gunstore and check if the corbon dpx rounds are available. @ku4hx Yes, it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider an an soft lead bullet loaded at 38 special velocties for sd. I am not a reloader yet, do you if there are some factory loaded 38 special loads with cast bullets?

@Rugergirl I will buy the .4 inch model.

In the meantime I have baught my Ruger. I have already tried it at the range and it is an great sixgun.

ps: What do you think about the 158 grain remington softpoint load? Will an sp bullet work for sd? I will use the corbon dpx as my primery defense load, but these stuff is not available yet. In august it should be available in austria.

The Remington 158gr softnose round will work well in the self defense mode. It would be the factory load I would use facing your restrictions.

You could mold up some Keith SWC hollowpoints out of 20 to 1 lead tin mix. This will expand and you can drive it faster than a jacketed bullet.

You can even go to 25 to 1, but leading might become a problem.

Lead hollowpoints work best if cast with out antimony (wheel weights). The pure lead/tin mixes remain ductile and do not shatter when expanding. The lead/tin/antimony mixes are brittle.

This web site has a lot of info on lead bullets. A man name Mihec is making wonderful Cramer Conversion molds for casting hollowpoints. He is in eastern europe.
    Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

You are not at a disadvantage because of your laws, the cast bullet can deliver better speed for the same pressure and equal expansion. You just have to develope a load for your particular revolver, and learn how to cast, size, lube and load them.

Good luck.

Hamour Thx for your tipps and the very intersting link. I think using cast bullets is good idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links