This is ridiculous!!!!!!! - Page 2

This is ridiculous!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on This is ridiculous!!!!!!! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good explanation, Tubby. Reminds me of the part of Econ 101 I managed not to sleep through. I am not pleased about the higher ammunition ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Good explanation, Tubby. Reminds me of the part of Econ 101 I managed not to sleep through.

I am not pleased about the higher ammunition prices, but I will repeat what I have said in other threads: if the ammo keeps disappearing off the shelves at the higher prices, it is not gouging; it is simply supply and demand. I started reloading this year and it is paying off; I can even keep myself in components as long as I am willing to accept a 6–8 week lead time in most component orders.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    Due to limited supplies, and high demand. This item has a 20 box maximum order quantity per customer

Natchez says it all right here on the very paged linked by the OP. Supply and demand.

Let me ask as question to the folks who will "Never shop here again!" What happens when OPEC slows oil production? Supply diminishes and gas prices go up, right? How about the price of gold? While supply hasn't really diminished demand has gone waaaaay up due to the unstable dollar and falling global markets. What has this done to gold prices?

It's the same with ammo folks. Either pay top dollar because you were not prepared or wait for prices to come down. Prices will come down. Remember that the ammo companies are going 24 hours a day now to keep up with this insane demand. This demand will eventually decrease. The ammo companies will still be running full out for months after demand falls (until the supply chain figures it out). This will create a glut of supply in the market and ammo prices will crash. I, and my cash, will be waiting!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Yea, what "Tubby45" said.

My wife picked up two hundred rounds of 9mm, winchester white box, for $40 a couple weeks ago at Wally World. She is much nicer than me and is blessed much more often.

Seems to be a random event to find ammo on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Natchez says it all right here on the very paged linked by the OP. Supply and demand.

Let me ask as question to the folks who will "Never shop here again!" What happens when OPEC slows oil production? Supply diminishes and gas prices go up, right? How about the price of gold? While supply hasn't really diminished demand has gone waaaaay up due to the unstable dollar and falling global markets. What has this done to gold prices?

It's the same with ammo folks. Either pay top dollar because you were not prepared or wait for prices to come down. Prices will come down. Remember that the ammo companies are going 24 hours a day now to keep up with this insane demand. This demand will eventually decrease. The ammo companies will still be running full out for months after demand falls (until the supply chain figures it out). This will create a glut of supply in the market and ammo prices will crash. I, and my cash, will be waiting!
    OK
    But ammo is NOT OIL , I can live without ammo, I don't need to
    shoot my gun every day the way I need to drive my car .
    Ammo will last for YEARS in my closet ,unlike gas.
    And now the OP and I will just buy ammo somewhere else.
    That is the price of rising prices so high while Wal Mart and others
    do not.
    You see , it like this, people are creature of habit
    If you as a seller do something to break someones habit for buying
    from you just for a few dollars, you will lose money for years
    to come.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    Our 4-5 Wal-Marts here get ammo every night, when the trucks arrive. It seems that as soon as they put it out the "ammo bandit" arrives and buys it up.

Haven't seen anything but rifle ammo in months.
    Thanks for the tip!...I've been to my nearest Walmart once-a-week or so for the last few months, and no 9mms...not once!..I'll go later tonight since they open ti'll 12:00...

thanks to everyone for their inputs!

Tubby's explanation is clear, and based on facts.
    So of course we should all ignore it because the conspiracy theories are sooo much more fun!

One thing to keep in mind is that shops have bills to pay too. Yes, firearms sales are up, but without knowing what they have historically made on each sale it might not be enough to offset the loss of ammo sales. If the shop used to make say a dollar a box and sold two thousand boxes a month, where do they make up for the loss when they can only get five hundred boxes a month? If they are a dedicated gun shop they can't write off that loss like a megamart can. Ammo amounts to about what percentage of total sales for Walmart or a place like Bass Pro? And since they are pretty much holding the line on prices folks are in there cleaning them out every chance they get. I can go to one of my local shops that has ammo in stock and get just about anything I want, except reloading stuff. That is because their prices are easily twice what Bass Pro and Walmart are charging. If they kept prices competitive their shelves would probably be empty too. But then again, not knowing their finances, they might not be around in a couple of months.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    You see , it like this, people are creature of habit
    If you as a seller do something to break someones habit for buying
    from you just for a few dollars, you will lose money for years
    to come.
    I understand your point, but Natchez is a reputable company that has been selling at low prices for years. They are not a mega mart that is diverse enough to survive these times unscathed. MCP1810 nailed it on the head with the quoted text.

If the shop used to make say a dollar a box and sold two thousand boxes a month, where do they make up for the loss when they can only get five hundred boxes a month? If they are a dedicated gun shop they can't write off that loss like a megamart can.
    I just can't wait till Natchez has it's ammo fire sale in a year or two.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Nah, I don't buy it. Ammo is a very simple object with no moving parts. It's not like building battleships. If the demand has been so high for so many months now why haven't they just made more ammo so they can rake in more money? Why are they just trickling it in?

And the "conspiracy theory" response is just a way to mock and ridicule those who question the official politically correct party line without addressing the issue, and in this case the politically correct party line is there's no conspiracy, just supply and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    If the shop used to make say a dollar a box and sold two thousand boxes a month, where do they make up for the loss when they can only get five hundred boxes a month? If they are a dedicated gun shop they can't write off that loss like a megamart can.
    Ok ,so using your math, your OK with a 400% mark up on profit margins on any product thats hard to get?

This is not true for the gun store down the road from me
    They have held they prices close to the price as before the run on ammo began and they did the same thing on AR15s
    yes the prices moved a little , but not to a 400% margin.
    I can deal with a little bit of a price jump but there are places trying to get 29.00 a box on 9mm and 46.00 on.380 fmj and I will remember them for doing that to people.
    Just as I will remember those who did not by giving them my
    money later.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Great explanation Tubby! To condense your 800 words to three simple ones: Supply and Demand. It's an amazing true explanation for what's happening out there now.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
    Nah, I don't buy it. Ammo is a very simple object with no moving parts. It's not like building battleships. If the demand has been so high for so many months now why haven't they just made more ammo so they can rake in more money? Why are they just trickling it in?
    If they could they would. Read my post above. The supply lines are stressed all the way back to the beginning at obtaining raw materials.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I've been at walmart the past two nights and have picked 6 boxes total between the two. Had blazer brass 40 SW for 12.99. Beats driving to C-Bus and buying it for $20.00 per box.
    G27
    Rossi 461 357
    Ruger LCP
    Springfield XDm 9mm
    SIG P220 (work)

ASSA9, I am not saying that every shop that is doing it is justified. There are a couple of places I am no longer doing business with because of price gouging. But we have to look at their core business. We have some gun shops that sell ammo and some ammo shops that sell guns and some mega marts / sporting goods stores that also sell both guns and ammo.
    The shops that also have ranges or are near by ranges probably sell (dollar wise) more ammo than guns. Because of competition on the internet and Walmart and Bass Pro and Gander Mountain they are not going to be able to significantly mark up their guns. They generally are not an impulse buy.

Unless you hand load or don't shoot all that much you probably spend as much on ammo in a year as you did on your weapon. That 5% markup on the gun was just the key to unlock your wallet for all of the ammo they are going to sell you to feed it. The ammo they mark up say 20%. There was a range I used to go to before the crunch that typically marked ammo up about 40% over local gun shop prices.
    To stay in business these guys have to bring in "X" dollars a month. They can't mark the guns up significantly or they will lose those sales to stores that are cheaper. They cant sell the volume of ammo they were selling before because they can't get it.

If you have a diversified enough product line that guns and ammo are only a couple of percent of your total sales it is no big deal to you. If better than half of your sales are guns and ammo, you have a serious problem.

You have to either pay the rent or vacate the property. So given the choice of marking up the ammo to the point it alienates customers or just selling off the inventory and going out of business, which would you choose?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoDriver View Post
    What i once paid $9.99 has gone up to $19.99 for a box of 50 this is crazy
    I refuse to pay it.,

CCI Blazer 9mm Luger 115gr FMJ 50/box - Natchez Shooters Supplies

I sent them a feed back to this link:

https://www.natchezss.com/customerSe...entID=feedback

I am truly dissappointed to see you guys have jumped on the gouging wagon,I have ordered quite a bit of ammo from you folks and was patiently awaiting to see when you were in stock only to see that you doubled in price,Im sure im not the only one feeling like this and rest assured i will pas the words among the gun forums and to what you guys have done,totally unacceptable

Hopefully others will do the same.
    Honestly, you have to keep on your toes and check out the local WalMarts- yesterday the wife and I picked up 6bx each of the 9mm 115gr in Blazer Brass at our local store@8.97 per box of 50. I take it that this is what you were looking for at Natchez per your link. It is still out there, you just have to be at the Walmart when it is there. 9mm wasn't what I was looking for as I have 3 .40 cal XD's to feed, but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to stock up a little for the other guns appetites. The salesman told me they had 100+ boxes at the beginning of the day, down to about a dozen when we were done. Just gotta stay vigilant!
    The US Marine's aren't a branch of the US Military, they're a Religion unto themselves

"The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Seriously Folks, They, WW, are putting them there radio chips in the boxes and tracking them there boxes with GPS satelite to your house. After they know were you have your ammo the gig is up. They tell the newspaper man to keep a eye on you and report you to the local Humain society. You are a DOG for having all that ammo!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links