.380 vs .38 special ? - Page 2

.380 vs .38 special ?

This is a discussion on .380 vs .38 special ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most modern semi-autos have a firing pin safety that prevents the gun from firing unless the trigger is pulled. That is, you could drop a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Most modern semi-autos have a firing pin safety that prevents the gun from firing unless the trigger is pulled. That is, you could drop a gun and it would not go off. Some guns also have a manual safety that you would (usually) push downward to turn off prior to firing. Some guns also have a grip safety -- where you would need to be holding the grip the proper way in order for the trigger to be able to be pulled.

For no nonsense protection, it is hard to beat a revolver. Mind you, you probably would not like the recoil of a very light J-frame revolver (from Smith & Wesson). But a Smith & Wesson Model 36 (Chiefs Special) would be heavy enough to eliminate much of the harsh recoil from firing off a round. Ruger and Charter Arms also make similar models. Then, you could load the gun with Federal Hydra-Shock 110gr JHP that is designed for low recoil, and you would be fine.

With a semi-auto, I think you would need some regular time at the range to stay proficient with the weapon. With a revolver, once you have practiced enough to know what it will do, you would probably not have to have the regular range time. These revolvers are pretty much just point and pull the trigger -- not worrying about a safety, magazines, etc. However, practice still is important for any weapon.

Just some things for you to consider.

Reg

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKH46 View Post
    ok. Seriously stupid question, but I feel I need to know.

Does the safety still work WITH one in the chamber? I could remember to take the safety off, but you are right... in an emergency, I doubt I'd think about the correct way to rack the slide....
    I'm just a normal ol gal that works night shifts (nurse) and goes to school during the day. I don't DO anything spectacular, but I'd "rather have a gun and not need it, as to not have one and need it".
    We also have 2 teenage girls and a rapist that's been running around this side of town for about a year now, and the police are no closer to catching him than the first time he struck.
    (NOT slamming policemen here, just want my girls to be safe...)
    First off, there is no stupid question, only someone who doesn't know the answer and wants to learn. We all started out as novices, so don't be worried about asking questions.

Yes you can engage the safety with one in the chamber, that is the purpose of the safety, to keep the trigger from being pulled while engaged. What brand is the .380 you have? Different manufacturers use slightly different configurations.

You profile says your in Indiana, what part? I was born and raised in South Bend, however I've been gone longer than I lived there.

Does the safety still work WITH one in the chamber? I could remember to take the safety off, but you are right... in an emergency, I doubt I'd think about the correct way to rack the slide....
    I'm just a normal ol gal that works night shifts (nurse) and goes to school during the day. I don't DO anything spectacular, but I'd "rather have a gun and not need it, as to not have one and need it".
    We also have 2 teenage girls and a rapist that's been running around this side of town for about a year now, and the police are no closer to catching him than the first time he struck.
    The only stupid question is the one not asked--and this is the perfect place to search for such advice and (in most cases) avoid any chastisement. So before we get to your answer, welcome to the forum!!

One of the best things I've heard on this forum is that the best safety is the one between your ears--and, in my opinion, that will prevent the majority of firearm 'accidents' that you will come across. Yes, your firearm's safety will still function with one in the chamber, but for your own well-being do not intentionally try to fire it with the safety on unless you feel like putting it through the paces at your local range. Practice 'dry firing' it to get used to the trigger pull, weight of the gun, etc... of course ensure it's unloaded (I always check at least twice) before practicing.

If you don't mind--what .380 do you have? Though I don't own one myself there is most likely another member with the exact same model. This might also help you to get acquainted with your firearm.

As others have said, in an extremely stressful situation you might just forget to put one into the chamber before firing--which is why we all carry our firearms with one in the pipe. With time and practice you will find the same confidence too.

Congratulations on taking you and your family's safety into your own hands--you're not slamming policemen you just recognize they can't be everywhere at once!
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

Carry ALL THE TIME. I have LCP .380 with me always and it's very easy to slip into a pocket holster and into the pocket. What ever gun you will carry all the time is the one you need to use.
    Draw once, Fire twice!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    ok. Seriously stupid question, but I feel I need to know.

Hey I'm just a normal gal too!
    And I love my revolvers. My Model 36 hides well, shoots very accurate and I don't feel under gunned with it.
    I do prefer something a little bigger, and when I can hide it(most of the time) I carry a S&W 686+. It certainly doesn't hide nearly as well as the Model 36, being twice the size and almost twice the weight, but if I ever shoot as well as that gun does, I'll be ecstatic.
    I'm not as much of a fan of semi-auto's but I have to confess that my Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II hides very well and with a .45ACP, there isn't much it won't knock down.
    My best advice is to shoot both of them regularly and decide which one you feel most comfortable and accurate with. As far as firepower goes they are fairly equal depending on ammo. With a small gun and a short barrel look for a lighter weight and faster bullet. For my .38 I like the stats on the Cor-Bon DPX 110 grain ammo, but I haven't been able to find any locally. A good round for a snub nose .38 that I have found is the Federal Nyclad 125 grain. Federal is now making these again in a standard pressure only and they get some decent ballistic ratings with a low recoil. I've fired them with the Model 36 and the 686 and like them for carry ammo in both guns.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Get a 38 Special and use the hotter loads. Doubletap has a good load for this, and they are fairly inexpensive compared to other manufacturers. A 38 special works well, but I like the Makarovs in .380 better. They are very reliable, quick to reload, and handling is good.

I would prefer something bigger if going with a revolver, like a .44 special. This is a much better choice and is not much larger in size than a 38 revolver.

That is my 2 cents worth.

My wife has a .38 S&W snubbie that she liked until she shot my Ruger LCP which I bought to keep in the car along with the XD sub 9. She is petite 4'11" and 100 lbs and the S&W snubbie fit her hands ok, but the Ruger fit better and will be easier to conceal with her work attire. She feels she could control the LCP better and shot quite a bit better with it. Sure a 9mm or .40 would be better, but this is what she feels more comfortable with. When she feels that she can/needs to move up, I'll support her then. It is better than nothing at all. The .380 was effective in war and as a police carry for many years just as the .38 has been effective for many years. Take each and a day at the range and see what you feel best with at this time and as your experience and shooting get better, you can always move up. The way things are selling now, I doubt you would have any trouble selling either it you needed.to.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You profile says your in Indiana, what part? I was born and raised in South Bend, however I've been gone longer than I lived there.
    We live in Richmond. Been here for about 10 years now. I'm orginally from Ohio, and hubby is orginally from Kentucky....

Quote Originally Posted by glockstock View Post
    If you don't mind--what .380 do you have? Though I don't own one myself there is most likely another member with the exact same model. This might also help you to get acquainted with your firearm.
    I have a Bryco 380 auto.

Thank you all for your great responses! I'm glad I joined this forum to ask all my questions!
    I wore my ankle holster last night at work, and I just wasn't comfortable. I suppose I could fix it so it wasn't cutting into my leg all night, but I was way too self concious.
    I'm thinking maybe a belly band or a smartcarry might be a better option.
    DH said, "Well, we can't keep buying holsters until you find a way you like..." and I said, "Why not? Then I can change with every outfit!" LOL!

.38 will give you alot more ammo choices....

M2
    My Kel-Tec P3AT (.380) has no safety, and I still care it in Condition 1.

But since it is a double-action, that makes it no more "unsafe" than a loaded revolver.

Cheers! M2

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I find myself carrying a .38 more and more. I have 9's, .45's and .357 mags.....but for ideal size vs. power, I carry the snub. As long as you practice with it and are ok with your ballistics.....choose the one you shoot best.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Thank you all for your great responses! I'm glad I joined this forum to ask all my questions!
    I wore my ankle holster last night at work, and I just wasn't comfortable. I suppose I could fix it so it wasn't cutting into my leg all night, but I was way too self concious.
    I'm thinking maybe a belly band or a smartcarry might be a better option.
    DH said, "Well, we can't keep buying holsters until you find a way you like..." and I said, "Why not? Then I can change with every outfit!" LOL!
    Ummmm you might want to explain to him that everyone that has a gun has a "Holster Drawer". Next to the search for the perfect ammo that is best for accuracy, knock down power, low recoil, max energy and low cost, which no one ever finds, the perfect holster is the next big quest.

As for me I like the selections in ammo for the 38 special, and if you do not plan on practicing all the time with the .380 then you should consider the 38. A revolver is simple to shoot, safe in the normal carry condition and intuitive. just point and squeeze, no worry about safety or racking a slide. If you get a misfire, point and squeeze, no worry about clearing a dude or a misfeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealie View Post
    If you don't feel comotable carrying the .380 auto with one in the chamber then carry the .38. In a Bad Guy situation you probably won't have time or remember to rack one into the chamber.

Of course you won't, or you won't have the time or both hands free. If you're carrying a semi-auto for defense you MUST have a round in the chamber. If you're afraid to do that, do what the man says, carry a revolver.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links