What are your opinions on the ammo shortages?

This is a discussion on What are your opinions on the ammo shortages? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How long before you think it will turn around and ammo will be readily available again? If this happens, do you think the prices will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your opinions on the ammo shortages?

How long before you think it will turn around and ammo will be readily available again?

If this happens, do you think the prices will fall back down?

As prices now continue to rise do you think it's still reasonable to continue buying ammo.

I found 4 100 round boxes of winchester fmj's today at wallyworld for 31.97 each and jumped on em quick, but I see this same ammo going for $22 and more per 50 in other places.

I don't think it's actually a shortage, just high demand. That's driven by economic and political uncertainty.

This will most likely get worse as this country suffocates in it's overwhelming debt. I would buy only what I need and to barter with before inflation sets in.

Ammo can still be found at a reasonable cost, it just takes determination and persistence. Don't support the gougers, go with your gut feeling on this.

I think we are headed for rough times ahead.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I think it is people hording the ammo that is causing the problem. When the price difference for ammo is in the dollar per box or more range I call that price gouging. I don't buy from stores that price gouge.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I don't think it's actually a shortage, just high demand. That's driven by economic and political uncertainty.

This will most likely get worse as this country suffocates in it's overwhelming debt. I would buy only what I need and to barter with before inflation sets in.

Ammo can still be found at a reasonable cost, it just takes determination and persistence. Don't support the gougers, go with your gut feeling on this.

+1 I agree with this statement 100%.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    JAT40's got it! You'll hear some people (still in la-la land) tell you we're going to recover this year and everything will be OK. They'll also tell you there are no intentions of any government official to crack down and take what you have (weapons, food, rights, etc.). Perhaps. I think it's better to prepare and not need than keep grazing.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    It will eventually come back. Its not exactly a shortage, just a huge demand as stated already. Prices will remain at whatever people are willing to pay.

People who have already purchased huge amounts of ammo and guns on credit cards are already beginning to sell it off because they now need money worse than ammo. I see it on every forum I visit and even in the gun store I work in. People call or come by every week trying to get rid of guns and ammo.

What is amusing to see is first time gun purchasers who look befuddled when you tell them you have no ammo in stock. They, obviously not into today's news events, are simply ignorant to what has happened since November 2008.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

It's a scary time both politically and economically. I'm terrified that things aren't going to turn around anytime soon. I buy any ammo I find that is reasonably priced, but I certainly don't have a stockpile. I have to continue to practice for WTSHTF so I probably have about 150 rounds at all time not couting my 30 or so defense rounds. It's tough right now.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post

I pretty much agree with this post. +1

I am however seeing signs locally that the ammo situation is improving. I have managed to find some, but certainly not all of the ammo I've wanted during this "scare" and not at inflated prices.

Biker

I've seen gunbroker auctions for ammo going at crazy prices, like $30 for 50 fmj .45 acp. Heck at those prices I've thought about selling some of mine. I've got enough ammo, but who ever really has enough? that's like having too much money hu?

I have not thus far bought any high priced ammo or components. Thankfully, I have not needed to, but that day may come. I have had to suffer some ill effects with component availability, so I guess I have taken part in the shortage in that way.

However, as a result I have curbed my shooting quite a bit from what is normal for me. I certainly hope that demand will drop and supplies will return and return to normal prices. And I think both of those things will happen, but I am shocked that it is still happening now, so what I think could be wrong.

Were it not for the panic buying, ammo prices should be going down right now. Comodity prices for copper, brass, and lead have dropped preciptously due to the global economic downturn (depression). But the panic buying has kept demand so high that prices have continued to rise.

Hopefully this will end soon, so I can get some more reloading supplies. If not, then I will be forced into fully taking part in the shortage in the near future when I have to resupply. Not something I'm looking forward to.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Believe it or not ammunition manufacturing is a comparatively small industry is America nowdays. The buying market has far exceeded their wildest dreams since the Current Occupant moved to Pennsylvania Ave. Until demand goes back to what it was before and consumers stop purchasing so much ammo it's going to be like this. If you think we have it bad you should see what police depts. all over the country are going through. Or if you really want to be depressed read up on the problems our military is facing since the "war" started. You might be surprised to find out where all of the military's small arms ammo is coming from. Hint: it's not made in America.

It's hurting business at the gunshop. We have a good supply of .40 and .25acp and that's it. Everything else is running out and we have no idea when we can get more. We're rationing JHP and defense ammo. We have a stack of Kel Tec .380s that we can't sell because people won't buy a gun that they can't get any ammo for. Other calibers are almost as bad. Lack of ammo has really started to hurt sales. It's nuts that a .380 with 90 grains of copper and lead costs near $50 a box when a .40 with twice as much weight is just over $20. Before this mess, we saw a dramatic increase in first-time gun buyers and people interested in CCW permits. There is a noticeable drop in new gun buyers, although we are still seeing folks of all demographics seeking their first CCW. For a while, there was a 20 to 30 minute wait to do an "instant" background check, now that is more reasonable. It was not unusual for us to call in 3 or 4 buyers at once and get serial numbers (for the approval of the check) that were 75 or 100 digits apart. That has stopped. We got some shirts made up for the employees that said "will work for ammo" and now it's not a joke.

I believe we will be seeing ammo on our store shelves once again very soon. I know of a few places who are already fully stocked.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

I think there was some hoarding gong on, but like many Americans, most have switched to more important things like paying off debts and getting ready for the inflation that is to come.

The other part of the equation is that many people who never considered stockpiling any ammunition before suddenly hit the market and added to the buying frenzy. But I see a positive side to all of this:

It has gotten people active and thinking about their freedoms and the actions of their government again. I personally think all this will last in some way shape or form until 2010, after the midterm elections. If we win and toss out enough congressmen to restore some balance to our government and prevent Obama and the liberals from changing things too much more, then we will be alright.

If we dont win, and the democrats gain any more power, then all that stockpiling may be used for another reason....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by thebigdl86 View Post
    I believe we will be seeing ammo on our store shelves once again very soon. I know of a few places who are already fully stocked.
    If you know of a place that is fully stocked, it's because no one else knows it...I'm just sayin'...

Ammo is still pretty scarce around here.

As to the shortage, I probably helped to create it.
    (I always try to do my small part.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links