funny ammo thing while shooting today, any ideas?

This is a discussion on funny ammo thing while shooting today, any ideas? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shot 50 rounds of PMC .45 acp 230 gr fmj today. When I finished the last mag of 8 and went down to pick up ...

Thread: funny ammo thing while shooting today, any ideas?

Shot 50 rounds of PMC .45 acp 230 gr fmj today. When I finished the last mag of 8 and went down to pick up the brass I found a whole bullet. When I say bullet I mean just the pill itself right, has rifling marks on it but no signs of making impact with anything, I mean other than the rifling marks it looks like a new pill. I was firing too far away from target to see where each shot went as I was shooting so I walked to target and looked, could only find seven shots. What the crap happened, I mean this pill was right with the spent brass like it was ejected with the brass, I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Either you had a weak load (Just enough to cycle the slide) or else the round was already there.

Since you said it had rifling marks on it, my guess was the cartridge was underloaded.

We use to do that purposely in Nam for rats (We called them rat rounds)
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
    Sun Tzu

If you heard 'each' boom, I'm betting it was already there.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yea, I heard and felt every round fire like normal, but I'm the only person that shoots .45 where we shoot.

Lead Moderator
    Could be a richochet, it does happen. If it was a underpowered round you should be able to tell easily (like ret said). What kind of backstop were you using?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'vs seen bullets (coincidentally also .45 hardball) pop out and bounce back a few feet. It was at natural berm in an old hillside where they once mined molding sand for the cast iron foundries in Troy NY. The fired rounds looked like they had been yanked with a bullet puller. The sand if I can remember was very fine and silky to the touch, like river silt.
    bosco

ah, but are you the only person to walk to where they targets are and pick up a .45 round, then carry it back to the brass is located?

it was alredy there.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you heard 'each' boom, I'm betting it was already there.
    Exactly....I find a lot of those at the range...anywhere from 10-25 yards from the firing line. Makes me think sometimes that some folks fire from back behind the benches, or just drive through the range and shoot out from the windows of their vehicles. That's what I imagine happens anyway, and it may be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Exactly....I find a lot of those at the range...anywhere from 10-25 yards from the firing line. Makes me think sometimes that some folks fire from back behind the benches, or just drive through the range and shoot out from the windows of their vehicles. That's what I imagine happens anyway, and it may be true.
    Drive by practice, rough neighborhood Ram Rod?
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Backstop is dirt and wood, basically a pile of rubbish, on my Uncle's farm. It's just weird is all. I mean I'm not the best shot but I never miss the target completely, honestly. There were only 7 holes in the target, I fired 8, and there was a pill lying with the brass? Just kinda threw me a little. I guess this time I missed the target, and there just happened to be a pill lying right where my brass fell..that's much easier to accept and believe than anything else.

Links